OCCRA
Go to Post I come to Chief Delphi to get away from the mundane, everyday news. It's part of what makes the forum appealing to me. If I want to read world news, I'll go to digg. - Ryan Dognaux [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Awards/Photo/Video "wizard"
AKA: Doug Hitchcock
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
dhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant future
Re: an evil, desperate, ramp strategy

Ok,
So if I'm the blue alliance, and there is one or more of the three "redabots" on top of MY platform (the one closest to my blue driver stations), then my blue alliance gets points even if my own three bluebots don't get onto the platform; correct?

Therefore, It make sense to defend (but not pin) any redabots on the blue platform at the end of the match.

Just because I can't climb and be king of my own (blue) hill doesn't mean that I'm about to let any redabot "stragglers" from getting down off of my hill; correct? Just don't pin them up onto your platform. You can "touch" the redabot on the blue platform and that redabot still counts for the blue alliance.

I guess it begs the question of why any alliance would want to park any of their bots on top of YOUR platform?

RollingThunder....Winner of the 2007 Chairman's Award at Finger Lakes Regional and Spirit Award at Boston.....Winner of 2006 Finger Lakes Regional Engineering Inspriation and Boston Imagery awards.......Winner of 2005 World Championship Rookie All-Star (plus FLR Rookie All-Star, Buckeye Top-Seeded Rookie, GTR Champion, Spirit, and Inspiration)

"Gracious Professionalism is a WAY of life".....
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhitchco
Ok,
So if I'm the blue alliance, and there is one or more of the three "redabots" on top of MY platform (the one closest to my blue driver stations), then my blue alliance gets points even if my own three bluebots don't get onto the platform; correct?

Therefore, It make sense to defend (but not pin) any redabots on the blue platform at the end of the match.

Just because I can't climb and be king of my own (blue) hill doesn't mean that I'm about to let any redabot "stragglers" from getting down off of my hill; correct? Just don't pin them up onto your platform.
Why not pin? It's allowed on the platform.

Quote:
You can "touch" the redabot on the blue platform and that redabot still counts for the blue alliance.
Don't even have to be touching. Redabot could have gone up there under it's own power and then stalled - still counts for the blue alliance.

Quote:
I guess it begs the question of why any alliance would want to park any of their bots on top of YOUR platform?
Maybe because then you're only about 2 feet from the center goal?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Awards/Photo/Video "wizard"
AKA: Doug Hitchcock
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
dhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant future

Good catch by Gary,

so it is indeed legal to "pin" and contain any robot while it is on the platform. It's only illegal ti "pin" while both robots are on the carpeted field (per <G24>)

So, if your the blue alliance and any one of the redabots is on YOUR platform (the one closest to your blue driving station) then it coulds as 5 points for YOUR blue alliance as long as you can hold them up on the platform.

Hmmmm, I think that their ability of charging DOWN the ramp is stronger than your bluebot ability to keep them up on the platform.....

RollingThunder....Winner of the 2007 Chairman's Award at Finger Lakes Regional and Spirit Award at Boston.....Winner of 2006 Finger Lakes Regional Engineering Inspriation and Boston Imagery awards.......Winner of 2005 World Championship Rookie All-Star (plus FLR Rookie All-Star, Buckeye Top-Seeded Rookie, GTR Champion, Spirit, and Inspiration)

"Gracious Professionalism is a WAY of life".....
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:48 AM
AKA: Alex
None #0701 (RoboVikes)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Alekat has a spectacular aura aboutAlekat has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Alekat

Quote:
Hmmmm, I think that their ability of charging DOWN the ramp is stronger than your bluebot ability to keep them up on the platform.....
Normally I would say the uphill advantage would just about finish any robot trying to pin you on the alliance platform. But remember the top of the platform is made out of plastic (polyethylene?) while the pinning robot would be on carpet. I think it comes down to drive train more than anything, since they are both equally likely to be on the diamond plate.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
also Head of Strategy\Translation
AKA: Nimrod Amir
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2006
Nimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nimmy Send a message via AIM to Nimmy Send a message via MSN to Nimmy

actually, I can allready imagine the top bot just flipping over because he runs into the buttom bot...especially if they ram into eachother

I guess someone should tell Mr. Tzu about FIRST

check out our HERBEW translation to the 2006 game manual at: http://www.avivrobotics.net

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:39 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
It's only illegal ti "pin" while both robots are on the carpeted field (per <G24>)
You are allowed to pin on the floor any time you choose. However, if you pin for more than ten seconds, a ref will tell you to back off. If you don't, it's one flag for every ten seconds until you back off three feet. If you back off three feet, then repin the other robot, the count starts over. (<G24> again)
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 04:37 AM
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)

Nimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nimmy Send a message via AIM to Nimmy Send a message via MSN to Nimmy

are you sure it's not 5sec? I would check the PDF's but my pc is going a bit slow

check out our HERBEW translation to the 2006 game manual at: http://www.avivrobotics.net

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 10:48 AM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

I don't care how desperate you are, never tip another robot intentionally. Never.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 01:16 PM
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)

I never said I WOULD use it, it's just a brainstorm I had and decided to share with you guys

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 01:26 PM
College student - mentor
FRC #0704 (SGP Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Taylor_Ratliff is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Taylor_Ratliff

lol, i got pwned! see what happens when you skim the rules? I mistook "either" for "their"
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

I suppose that I should add that the refs do track things that skim close to the rules involving ramming and tipping. If a team gets close, they get warned and a note made of that warning. If they do it again, they are under closer watch and are more likely to get themselves hit with a penalty.

Wetzel
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmy
are you sure it's not 5sec? I would check the PDF's but my pc is going a bit slow
I'm sure. I was looking at Section 4 when I made the post.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2006, 07:07 AM
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)

that's interesting, but backing off 3ft? how am I supposed to know how much is that?

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmy
that's interesting, but backing off 3ft? how am I supposed to know how much is that?
91.4 cm

Really, robots are a max of 38 inches (unexpanded) right? So just back off one robot length.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2006, 07:34 AM
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV1188
91.4 cm

Really, robots are a max of 38 inches (unexpanded) right? So just back off one robot length.
lol =) I know it's 91.4cm, I just mean is it gonna be that percise or are the judges
gonna call it as 'backing up enough for the other robot to have a chance at getting away)

Don't mess with Nimrod's
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: