Go to Post If anything, I believe Battle Bots is in the best interest of FIRST. Battlebots helps to create an interest in robotics, and FIRST gives us the opportunity to participate in a robotics program. - Adare180 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2001, 04:39 PM
#0442 (Leegeneers)
Team Role: Alumni

Anthony S. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Anthony S. Send a message via Yahoo to Anthony S.
Question Supported by school or sponsor?

I was just wondering how many teams got support mostly from there school or mostly from there sponsor. By support I mean money, facilities, supplies and things like that. My team got just about all of our support from NASA. We barely got any of our support from school, its like we weren't even part of the school, no one really knew the team existed. All of our meetings were a the city schools Technology Center and NASA building where our playing field was. So where does everyone get there support?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2001, 04:55 PM
The_C
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
My old team got facility support from our school, what little bit we got. But everything else came from sposorers, mentors, parents, and students. We were really lacking in almost everything.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2001, 06:37 PM
Nice Guy
no team

Tom Fairchild will become famous soon enoughTom Fairchild will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Tom Fairchild
<--- bows down and kisses NASA's feet for giving us most of our budget.

~Tom~
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:28 PM
AKA: Angela (Hall) Leese
FRC #3455 (Carpe Robotum)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
A. Leese has a spectacular aura aboutA. Leese has a spectacular aura about
We have a main sponsor in Pratt as well as about 20 other sponsors. Far as I know, our schools give us nada. Oh well.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:34 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
We get our most of our $$cash money$$ from Rolls-Royce. Peregrine gives us some. We get all our computer equipment from NEC. The rest of our money comes from various grants and small sponsors. We don't get a lot of money but we have enough to work with. The school doesn't give us crap. Just the classroom.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2001, 03:23 AM
FRC #0368 (Kika Mana)
Team Role: Leadership

Anne Lam is an unknown quantity at this point
Our biggest support comes from HECo (Hawaiian Electric Company), not only have they provided us with generous monetary support but also a team of very helpful engineers/mentors. As far as I know, a classroom, and an occassional acknowlegment in the school newspaper is all we are getting from the school.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2001, 07:13 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
From the high school we got space, machine tools, teachers, and money for students food at regionals. RIT gave us administrative support, some facilities, the use of its name (more important than you think), and a largish some of money. Fibertech Networks also gave us a largish some of money. Most of our money however came from Alstom Signaling. So we're all over the place with regards to money.

Matt
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2001, 09:21 AM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
My team gets nothing from our school exept what we ' borrow'

I guess you could say the teacher that runs this is 'in' with the maintinance staff at the school because we occationally find a large piece of lexan just when we need it laying in the middle of the room.

The space and tools are only ours because we fought for them. If my school had it's way we wouldn't have anything but 3 computers and a 5 by 5 foot space for building the robot, or the tech sequence that takes place in that classroom.

All in all though it ended up being a good place for FIRST, no complaints about our workspace- but the school didn't reconize our existance untill we were front page news on the local paper (i got 3 letters in the next few days from school officials).

I don't think many schools out there do very much in the way of support, we almost couldn't go to NYC because of 'paperwork problems' (you all know the ones).
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2001, 09:50 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
As far as money goes, the school has never given us much cash, but the other things they do are invaluable.

The school has payed for our t-shirts, but not much else.

In the past we have gotten space to build the robot, either the school donated, or someone who goes to the school has found us space.

They have advanced us money while we have waited ... and waited for our money from JPL.

Many of the parents on our team are also administrators or teachers in the school.

Without the school, we would not be here, but as far as $$$ go, they haven't given us much.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2001, 01:19 PM
-
no team

EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
Our school I believe pays the $9,000 entry fee. NUWC can't give us any money (federal agency), but they gave us a facility, computers, and some of the best engineers in the country.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2001, 04:00 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
from our school we got our barebones operating budget, travel expences were covered by students. umass generously let us use their physics lab, but neglected to tell the security people that we had permission, so we had periodical run ins with them. and our sponcors gave us t-shirts.

***ninny pride***
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2001, 01:23 AM
AKA: James Watts
None #0524 (Aplpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Amadkow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
our school pretty much just gave us a room to work in the rest of our money we got from sponsers
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2001, 10:00 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jordan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Our school gives us $1000 plus a $250 stipend for our advisor (a math teacher. For those of you with nothing from your school, that seems like a lot, but our hockey program gets $11000, and we've been around much longer. We also get the use of our advisor's classroom, but only after and before school, and that's really up to her, not the school.

TI used to give us our entry fees (one regional and Nationals), plus t-shirts and buttons, along with two electrical engineers for construction. They also provided a (minimal) lab for animation, and several engineers for that.

RS Machine provided us with a machine shop, and the owner really helped us out more than anyone.

HOWEVER, we have lost TI and RS, and are down to our own fundraising, and small sponsors. Hopefully, ONLY until we find a new major sponsor.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2001, 11:15 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Good luck finding a sponsor or few.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 08:55 AM

Kim will become famous soon enough
I am a sponsor, and we provide most of the funding for the team from a Golf Tournament sponsored by two sponsor companies. Most of hte remaining funds come from J&J. Only limited funds come from the school - mostly to cover transportation costs between our three partnered schools (school buses). Without the golf tournament, and the nearly $35K it raises, we would be sunk!
kkeller9@corus.jnj.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: