OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST: The hardest thing you'll ever love to do. - Stephen Kowski [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Electrical Engineer / Computer Geek
AKA: Eldarion Telcontar
no team (Teamless Orphan)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Eldarion Send a message via Yahoo to Eldarion
Re: The 8.2 (or 8.3) Battery Voltage Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta
I'm wondering if there is some sort of memory stomping happening, because I've also seen some random bits flicking on the OI status leds (the pwm and relay leds; we had disabled the default routine LED feedback on these to make a little bar graph showing how good the camera lock was, but after we pulled the camera I pulled the code for this as well, and we still would see random bits flicker in there).
I had the intermittent data "glitches" with the LEDs as well; the cure was to save sections .tmpdata and MATH_DATA as well as the default PROD in the interrupt handler #pragma. For example:
Code:
#pragma interruptlow InterruptHandlerLow save=PROD,section("MATH_DATA"),section(".tmpdata")
Also, this may be a stupid question, but is everyone here using the latest version of the IFI loader? The previous version had a problem writing to FLASH bank 1, which might explain why it works just fine as long as it can fit in the 2005 controller.

EDIT: What version of the compiler is everyone using?

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.
If it's rampaging around destroying things it's a programming problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL

Last edited by Eldarion : 03-06-2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added a question
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:23 PM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldarion
...What version of the compiler is everyone using?
You beat me to this question. I'm using 2.44 (version can be found in readme.c18) and have seen *none* of the problems teams are seeing. All of the code on my website has been compiled with the 2.44 version. Has anyone had a problem with the pre-compiled code in my .zip files?

-Kevin
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
FRC #0095 (Grasshoppers)

Rookie Year: 2002
kaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Watson
You beat me to this question. I'm using 2.44 (version can be found in readme.c18) and have seen *none* of the problems teams are seeing. All of the code on my website has been compiled with the 2.44 version. Has anyone had a problem with the pre-compiled code in my .zip files?
Yes. I can regenerate the 8.2V problem with the gyro.hex file from a freshly-downloaded frc_gyro.zip from http://www.kevin.org/frc/, although it doesn't do it every time I upload it.

So far, the IFI folks think that ADC_Int_Handler() is too long, but I'm not sure I agree (since I'm not seeing the RLOD, and it works flawlessly on my 2004 RC).

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm using mcc18 v2.40. (Is an update available to us?)
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7

Yes, we are using v 2.40 as well, this is the version that was supplied in the kit. Did we miss an update? I don't recall seeing anything come across the board...
Perhaps that is the root of our issues,
From the IFI Website:

NOTE: To Compile 2004, 2005 or 2006 code, use MPLAB ver 7.20 and C18 Compiler ver 2.40 (newer versions can not be used)

Kevin...you didnt give us base code compiled with 2.44 did you...?
Even if so, we do appreciate all the hard work you do to provide us with the code each year, so Thank You!

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:07 PM

Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

-Kevin
Hmm, I am using 2.40. I wonder if the Microchip folks know about the problem, and have fixed it in 2.44? Where did you get 2.44?

Here's an idea for someone with access to a 2006 controller:
Try compiling your code for the PIC18F8520 instead of the PIC18F8722 and see if that cures the problem. It'll still run on the '8520, but I wonder if it might fix some of the problems (if it is truly a compiler bug, maybe it is restricted to the '8722 compiler). Just a hunch...

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 03:10 PM
AKA: Greg Smith
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
yoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

-Kevin
Kevin, we are using v2.40 17 November 2004. I didn't think we were allowed to use any newer versions. Saturday morning I was showing Dave Lavery the problem at the VCU regional and he went over and talked to the "IFI guy" who said that it was not possible for the user processor code to corrupt the battery voltage reading or the RC to OI comms. And that makes sense to me unless memory is shared between the processors or the MP passes the rxdata structure transparently or something like that. Is there any documentation on the interaction between the user processor and the master processor? The only thing I know is the tx and rxdata structures and the format of the dashboard data which provides clues as to what the OTA format between them is. Our one and only 2006 controller is locked in a crate awaiting the Atlanta regional so I can't do any testing but I do have code that parses through the dashboard output and generates an output file I can suck into excel for analysis. I would be interested in what actually comes out of the dashboard port when this is happening to see if data is skewed by a byte or two. I know when we have this problem, control input that should effect PWM5 turns actually gets coupled to PWM1 or 2 (they used to drive the same motor pair) I can give more details if anyone is interested.

Greg
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks to the Wayback Machine (www.archive.org), I was able to find the 2.42 upgrade file here:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...oc/C18_242.zip

Aha! I found the 2.44 upgrade file here:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...rade-v2_44.exe

I found this interesting section in the Readme (emphasis mine):
"The following parts have updates and/or corrections:
18F6520, 18F6620, 18F8520, and 18F8620"

Also, it makes mention of the 18F8722 having a problem or two...

-- Thomas Paine

-- Anonymous

Last edited by Eldarion : 03-06-2006 at 03:20 PM.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodyne
Kevin, we are using v2.40 17 November 2004. I didn't think we were allowed to use any newer versions. Saturday morning I was showing Dave Lavery the problem at the VCU regional and he went over and talked to the "IFI guy" who said that it was not possible for the user processor code to corrupt the battery voltage reading or the RC to OI comms. And that makes sense to me unless memory is shared between the processors or the MP passes the rxdata structure transparently or something like that. Is there any documentation on the interaction between the user processor and the master processor? The only thing I know is the tx and rxdata structures and the format of the dashboard data which provides clues as to what the OTA format between them is. Our one and only 2006 controller is locked in a crate awaiting the Atlanta regional so I can't do any testing but I do have code that parses through the dashboard output and generates an output file I can suck into excel for analysis. I would be interested in what actually comes out of the dashboard port when this is happening to see if data is skewed by a byte or two. I know when we have this problem, control input that should effect PWM5 turns actually gets coupled to PWM1 or 2 (they used to drive the same motor pair) I can give more details if anyone is interested.

Greg
That makes sense, however why didn't we see this last year if the only change was the user processor?

Has anyone tried a master update in case some of the RCs have a corrupted master firmware?

-- Thomas Paine

-- Anonymous

#54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
FRC #0095 (Grasshoppers)

kaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of lightkaszeta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Kevin, we are using v2.40 17 November 2004. I didn't think we were allowed to use any newer versions. Saturday morning I was showing Dave Lavery the problem at the VCU regional and he went over and talked to the "IFI guy" who said that it was not possible for the user processor code to corrupt the battery voltage reading or the RC to OI comms.
At the BAE regional, the IFI person (Corey) at first thought we had a user code bug, but later said that he was of the belief that something was wrong with the RC or the Master CPU code, for the same reasons (user processor code shouldn't be able to corrupt the comms or battery voltage readings). I've given them my code, FWIW. I haven't gotten the 8.2V bug to show up on our 2006 RC with the pure default code dated 2/24 (but I *did* get this code to show the problem with a loaner RC at BAE), but using gyro.hex from frc_gyro.zip I can get this to show up simply by loading the hex code a few times.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 04:06 PM

yoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to beholdyoyodyne is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta
At the BAE regional, the IFI person (Corey) at first thought we had a user code bug, but later said that he was of the belief that something was wrong with the RC or the Master CPU code, for the same reasons (user processor code shouldn't be able to corrupt the comms or battery voltage readings). I've given them my code, FWIW. I haven't gotten the 8.2V bug to show up on our 2006 RC with the pure default code dated 2/24 (but I *did* get this code to show the problem with a loaner RC at BAE), but using gyro.hex from frc_gyro.zip I can get this to show up simply by loading the hex code a few times.
If I had the 2006 processor I would reload the master processor bin file. So many things that I normally would have done to narrow this problem down did not happen in the heat of battle.

I asked IFI if they knew what master processor version was shipped but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Part of post to IFI new problem under gsmith last night...
I ran into a problem at the VCU regional starting last Friday where the communications between the OI and RC were getting corrupted. It looks like the data structure between the master processor and the OI is shifted by a byte or so. We are using the 2006 RC and OI received in the FIRST KOP. We have not re-flashed the master processor and I don’t know what firmware revision it is although I noticed that the date of the Frc_master_v12.bin file, the latest?, is 10/27/2005 so I assume we have the latest master code.

#56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 05:01 PM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429

Rookie Year: 2001
Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiel7
To Compile 2004, 2005 or 2006 code, use MPLAB ver 7.20 and C18 Compiler ver 2.40 (newer versions can not be used)
They're referring to version 3.0 of the compiler, which cannot be used for a few different reasons.

Quote:
Kevin...you didnt give us base code compiled with 2.44 did you...?
Yep, I certainly did. It's not a problem.

Quote:
Even if so, we do appreciate all the hard work you do to provide us with the code each year, so Thank You!
As long as you learn something from reading/using the code, it's my pleasure.

-Kevin
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I ran into a problem at the VCU regional starting last Friday where the communications between the OI and RC were getting corrupted. It looks like the data structure between the master processor and the OI is shifted by a byte or so. We are using the 2006 RC and OI received in the FIRST KOP. We have not re-flashed the master processor and I don’t know what firmware revision it is although I noticed that the date of the Frc_master_v12.bin file, the latest?, is 10/27/2005 so I assume we have the latest master code.

Where did you find the Version 12 Update file? The latest on IFI's website is Version 11, dated 4-15-2005.

-- Thomas Paine

-- Anonymous

#58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Robot? We need a robot?
AKA: Brian Rak
None #0230 (Gaelhawks)
Team Role: Programmer

devicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nice

I'm using 2.40 and I haven't seen any of the problems stated here.. The real test will come on Thursday, when I see if any of these problems have appeared since we put it in the box...

I'm going to check tonight to see if we have a spare 2005/2004 RC that we can bring, but as of the current FIRST rules, they are not allowed. Maybe someone should go post on the Q&A forums, explaining the situation.. maybe we could get the 2005 RC cleared to use until this problem is resolved (It DOES work with the field control system, we were using it at the scrimmage with no problems) It wouldn't even be a tight fit for me.. 55% usage on the 2005 controller

Someone with access to a 2006 RC: Disable compiler optimizations... Project->Build Options->Project->MPLAB C18->Optimization (Dropdown), Disable.

If that fixes it, then its a compiler bug (But it can be worked around!)

I can tell you right now I've had all the optimizations enabled since the second week of build, and haven't seen this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDC
If the RC is mounted in such a way that field personnel must be contorted, bent, folded, spindled or mutilated in order to see the RC, then the RC must be relocated.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldarion
Where did you find the Version 12 Update file? The latest on IFI's website is Version 11, dated 4-15-2005.
It's in the

"2006 RC Code (zip,21-28-2006) Contains both Default/User and Master Code, contains new libraries below."

Zip file.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
It's in the

"2006 RC Code (zip,21-28-2006) Contains both Default/User and Master Code, contains new libraries below."

Zip file.
Thanks!

-- Thomas Paine

-- Anonymous

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: