OCCRA
Go to Post For We Will Rock You, we quit counting Saturday morning when it got to 12 times. - Gary Dillard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
  #61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why are YOU involved in FIRST?

This summer, I had the opportunity to teach robotics to a group of 16 middle school girls. After I had given them my lessons, they really sought to engage with the programming and the mechanics of their robot, in the process learning how to collaborate with others and overcome their fears of asking questions.

I started as a high school student because I had an interest in math and science... But I continued as an FRC/FLL mentor in college because, for me, it was definitely worth it to leave a meeting every day seeing students enthusiastic and brimming from ear to ear about what they had learned from me through the day.

Mentor - Team 573, Mech Warriors
Former Mentor - Team 830, Rat Pack and Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

the big picture:
I want to stay and see how big this picture is going to get.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, Im just in it for the money!

Ive been involved with FIRST for 9 years. The checks should start coming in any day now :^)
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
FRC #0204
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Freddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond repute

Because I believe in what this program teaches the students and how science and engineering can affect our lives. Also because there is a lot of cool people ( meaning CD members) that are in it.

DANCE TO THE MUSIC!!!!
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 08:09 PM
no team (Synergy)

Rookie Year: 2001
Dick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dick Linn

One word: "children". If my oldest hadn't gotten the word about FIRST, I probably wouldn't be here. Of course, the younger one was right there at the time (seventh grade) and has been on the team ever since. I've become the mentor for the drivetrain. Though not fancy, we've never had a single drivetrain failure in five years of competition (knock on wood). This year, the Team won a Motorola Quality Award at the VCU regional in Richmond, VA.

I hate going to meetings, but I love building stuff. There's nothing like getting it all together at the 11th hour and making a good showing at a regional competiton. And when it's over, the comraderie is just great. This year, our team had it's first engineer ( the team's co-founder) graduate from VCU, with honors. That makes it all worthwhile!

Proud father of Marine LCpl. Karl R. Linn
Co-founder Team 975
KIA, Iraq 1/26/2005
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Achievement by working together
AKA: Ricci
FRC #3193 (Falco Tech)

Rookie Year: 2004
travis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to beholdtravis48elite is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to travis48elite Send a message via AIM to travis48elite Send a message via Yahoo to travis48elite

Well one of the reasons I joined FIRST was because I wanted to try something new and it sounded like something that would be fun to do. When I went into the program I was shy and knew nothing about machines. Three years later I have gained more confidence in myself along with having friends. Also I have learned machining skills along with CNC machining, and become the build team captain for two of the three years I was on the team.

North East Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee

I joined the team because I had nothing better to do. I stayed on because it changed my outlook on my future and actually changed my personality, and because I love nothing more.

Okay, list of reasons:

* I've discovered that strategizing is a passion of mine, and what could be better than getting a new game to strategize about each year?
* I've made more friends from robotics than anything else, ever. I love interacting with new people and making friends.
* I want to go into a career similar to what I get to do during the season, so I figure this is the best practice I'm going to get in high school.
* (Since this asks about FIRST in general and not just the high school competition...) I love watching kids figure things out on their own and seeing them realize they've done something by themselves and have accomplished something. For them to do that, sometimes they need skills I can (maybe) help them learn.
* I want to be a mentor when I'm older so I can help inspire the next group of FIRST students like I've been inspired.
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Good old Parker
AKA: Michael
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2006
hoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to hoorayforpink

my sis was on the team and basically forced me to join this past year as a freshman now shes gone( she was a senior) but im here to stay!
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Pocket Full of Tools
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Gabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond repute

It is the only program at my high school that is engineering oriented, and allows me to use my mechanical skills.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2006, 03:18 AM
Go ELEMENT!!
AKA: people call me Todd, I dont know why
FRC #0004 (Element)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2002
+()c|D is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to +()c|D
Thumbs up Re: Why are YOU involved in FIRST?

I am a geek and proud of it. I started in middle school and the first year i was in it (FLL) I was in awe. That was it, I'm here to stay!

LA Regional Winner `07
LA Regional Winner `06

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: