OCCRA
Go to Post In theory, we do not need teachers in this world because we have the written word, but in reality, teachers are one of the most valuable resources, if not the most valuable resource, we have. - Natchez [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2006, 08:13 PM
'tis just a flesh wound!
AKA: Anjali M
FRC #1510

Rookie Year: 2005
sure_smile will become famous soon enough
National Student Leadership Conference

So I got this letter in the mail last weekend from the NSLC, saying that based on my PSAT scores and GPA, I'm invited to represent my state at a summer-camp type thing in a field of my choice (they offered things like medicine, engineering, international politics). I was wondering if this is a legitimate organization? you always hear about scams like this and all. i did a bit of online reasearch and what i got was on both ends of the spectrum; a couple 'omg this changed my life' statements and a couple 'dont waste your money and time' people too. so my question is, did other FIRSTies get invited to this and am i just being paranoid? their website is http://www.nslcleaders.org/ also, if i didn't do this, what other summer enrichment programs are out there? i know about stanford's EPGY and carnegie mellon's thing. how many people are going to those? thanks a bunch
-anj
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2006, 08:21 PM
FRC #0236 (Techno Ticks)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1993
pwilczynski is on a distinguished road
Re: National Student Leadership Conference

I got invited as well, and am interested to know whether or not it is a good idea.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Having attended WPI's Frontiers program last summer, I would highly recommend it. I have never been to any other educationalish summer program, but Frontiers was excellent. They have courses in different things (including robotics!), and there are many fun activities planned as well. You get to learn a bit extra about something during the summer, meet a bunch of cool new people, and have a lot of fun at the same time.

I think it is fairly popular among FIRSTies, because five who went last summer were at the UTC Regional today. There is (was?) also a scholarship for FIRST participants to did the robotics program at Frontiers.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute

Anjali -

I'm familiar with the NSLC. Just like you, I heard varying reports about it. In the end, I chose not to go.

1) Many alumni I knew felt it did not cover their interests specifically enough
2) It seemed like something that could not be as gauranteed-useful as other programs like WPI's, Stanfords, Carnegie Mellon's, or others. Not only do those programs give you incredible scientific insight, they also give you a view into many excellent college engineering programs, which is a view few students get unless they have the fortune of living right by a good engineering university.

Many FIRSTers go to WPI frontiers - it is considered an excellent program and very applicable to Robotics knowledge. I would speak to Lisa Perez on the subject if I were you, she can give you a view as both an alumnus and as a female one (high guy to girl ratio), and she is currently enrolled in U Mich's rigorous engineering program.

Joey Gannon (if you need contact info I can ask him about it) attended Carnegie Mellon's pre-college summer program before his Senior year, which I believe is the program Greg was referring to.

I'd recommend speaking to your guidance counselor as well, before you decide anything.

Team 461 for life!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: