Go to Post PS. Listen to the wise Brandon Martus. Think before you (re)act. - artdutra04 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > Scouting
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel
paper: 2006 Excel Scouting database

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

2006 Excel Scouting database by
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: 2006 Excel Scouting database

Greg I'm... amazed!!! That thing is crazy! I think its going to Atlanta with us, as our hard copy database, which was very similar, didn't work (we made our pick list without it as it got misplaced ). I do have a question though, can the list of teams be extended as aren't there 80+ teams in the divisions at Atlanta?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Volkswagen Enthusiast
AKA: Bill Hancock
FRC #0573 (MechWarriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
Bill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bill_Hancoc

It is very nice but (dont worry i think this is an excel problem) when i try to click links to the web or within the document i get the error message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." i tried searching the microsoft help but all i found was 2 different spellings of canceled/cancelled does anybody else have this problem/know how to fixit?

MechWarriors 573

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis
Greg I'm... amazed!!! That thing is crazy! I think its going to Atlanta with us, as our hard copy database, which was very similar, didn't work (we made our pick list without it as it got misplaced ). I do have a question though, can the list of teams be extended as aren't there 80+ teams in the divisions at Atlanta?
Thanks for the feedback.

yes the team list can be extended..i can do it really easy actually I was thinking that 78 teams might be enough but i can always add more, when the championship divisions are released i could put out a new version with them in it and the appropriate number of teams. I also have a word format of the associated scouting sheet if people want.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Hancoc
It is very nice but (dont worry i think this is an excel problem) when i try to click links to the web or within the document i get the error message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." i tried searching the microsoft help but all i found was 2 different spellings of canceled/cancelled does anybody else have this problem/know how to fixit?

I haven't seen this it might be something in your virus software preventing external apps from accessing the Internet. I would guess that is a system thing not a database thing, as i have used it on a bunch of machines with no issues.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Volunteer
AKA: Ben Tower
no team

Rookie Year: 1997
Btower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to behold

A couple of things which I'm not sure are important for you purposes, but I felt I should say them anyway:

1. There is no provision for a DQ, which results in zero Qualifying and Ranking Points.
2. I'm not sure you are calculating ranking points accurately.

the rules this year:

First is Qualifing Points (QP's) you seem to have this correct.
Win - 2pt
Loss/DQ - 0pt
Tie - 1pt

In the event of a tie in QP's they use ranking points (RP's) which are awarded as follows:

Win - The lesser of Unpenalized Alliance Scores from either Alliance
Loss - Penalized score of losing alliance
Tie - Penalized score of own alliance.
DQ - zero

I just finished a backup scoring sheet in excel, what a pain to get all these difference in place.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btower
A couple of things which I'm not sure are important for you purposes, but I felt I should say them anyway:

1. There is no provision for a DQ, which results in zero Qualifying and Ranking Points.
2. I'm not sure you are calculating ranking points accurately.

the rules this year:

First is Qualifing Points (QP's) you seem to have this correct.
Win - 2pt
Loss/DQ - 0pt
Tie - 1pt

In the event of a tie in QP's they use ranking points (RP's) which are awarded as follows:

Win - The lesser of Unpenalized Alliance Scores from either Alliance
Loss - Penalized score of losing alliance
Tie - Penalized score of own alliance.
DQ - zero

I just finished a backup scoring sheet in excel, what a pain to get all these difference in place.

you are 100% correct my database doesn't take this into account and after thinking about adding the functionality i decided it is not necessary. The only thing that it will cause is a slight shift in real time ranking which is not a big deal. IMO those real time ranks that align with the FIRST rankings are good but since you are going to be behind with data entry anyway having someone checking the real rankings board is probably not a bad idea anyway. This being said if there are a ton of people who think this bug needs to be fixed i will have no problems fixing it.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2006, 11:38 AM
College Student, Mentor
FRC #1259 (Paradigm Shift)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Andy B will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Andy B

Very nice, this will definitely be used by us. we were actually planning on writing a database much like this, but no need to reinvent the wheel now.

Thank you for the time you spent on this great tool!!!
2005 Midwest Regional: Imagery Award Winners, 16th Seed, 5-5-0 Record, Unpicked
2005 Championships, Newton Division: 5th seed, 6-1-0 Record, Advanced to semifinals
2006 Wisconsin Regional: Judges Award, 23th seed, 5-7-0 Record, Unpicked
2007 Wisconsin Regional: 33rd seed, 3-4-1 Record, Lost in Quarterfinals
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Formerly robotcanuck1676
AKA: Graham Donaldson
FRC #1676 (The Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Graham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant future

This file is amazing! We were at the NJ regional and I came up with a really lame scouting sheet in a half an hour, and we went with that. But this is so much better than what we had. The only beef I have with it: there's so much to fill out to make it effective. But it's probably OK, because with ours, we were making notes a lot of the time. But with this, I think it will be easier, because you aren't making comments, you're just giving it numbers. Thanks a lot Greg!

The Canuck

2008 NJ Regional, 2009 Palmetto Regional: Chairman's Award Winners
2010 NJ Regional Champions (w/ 25 and 3059), 2010 VA Regional Champions (w/ 1086 & 1418)

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."- Sam Ewing
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."- Thomas Edison
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Accidentally speaks in C
AKA: Paul Dagnelie
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp.)
Team Role: Programmer

paulcd2000 is a jewel in the roughpaulcd2000 is a jewel in the roughpaulcd2000 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to paulcd2000

Wow. It's just Wow. at chesapeake, we just filled up a notebook with information. This is SO much more neat, and user friendly. It even gives a (rough) score for each robot. I'm very impressed that someone would take the time to go through all of this and write all this up. Thank you very very much.

5.5 students (on average)* $7/h *210 hours/student= $8085 of labor, all volunteered (not counting mentors', who are each that much)

We have blades on our robot?! ***sweeeeeet***

There are 11 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary, those who can't, and those who say this joke is supposed to be, "There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who have a life."
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2006, 07:15 AM
also Head of Strategy\Translation
AKA: Nimrod Amir
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)
Team Role: Animator

Nimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nimmy Send a message via AIM to Nimmy Send a message via MSN to Nimmy

cheers greg, great file
and good calls on the regional the past 2 days =)

I guess someone should tell Mr. Tzu about FIRST

check out our HERBEW translation to the 2006 game manual at: http://www.avivrobotics.net

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Formerly robotcanuck1676
AKA: Graham Donaldson
FRC #1676 (The Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: Alumni

Graham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant future

Hey everybody.

Greg, your database worked like a charm at the Palmetto Regional. It actually got us (a 2nd-year team) picked for I believe the 4th alliance and all the way into the finals. The information that you decided needed to be gathered was so helpful and useful because we knew exactly what robots could do ahead of time and therefore work out strategies for autonomous and the game before the match. The only real problem was that data entry is very time-consuming. I spent 2 hours when we got back to our hotel finishing putting in data for teams that we had to play the next day (this was on Fri). However, all in all, it was an amazing tool, it got us picked for the 2nd-place alliance, and it made a 2nd-year team realize how valuable scouting is, where it takes some teams 5 or 6 years!

Greg, I can't thank you enough.

The Canuck

2008 NJ Regional, 2009 Palmetto Regional: Chairman's Award Winners
2010 NJ Regional Champions (w/ 25 and 3059), 2010 VA Regional Champions (w/ 1086 & 1418)

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."- Sam Ewing
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."- Thomas Edison
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: