Go to Post I don't care what the team numbers said, on Friday there were no rookies there. - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 09:06 AM
AKA: Sarah Grenier Montplaisir
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
gren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond repute
FRC40 presents Mini FRC:Aim High!

This year FRC team 40 (intelitek and Trinity HS) took on a new approach to the brainstorming and prototyping process for the game. The students at Trinity HS used a beta version of intelitek's new robotics curriculum called REC (Robotics Engineering Curriculum) to learn about Vex and easyC before the FRC season began. This allowed them to build sophisticated robots and write autonomous programs very quickly for prototyping this year's Aim High game.

On day one we held the typical team meeting/brainstorming session. However this year we decided to try to build 1/3 vex models of our ideas. We came up with 6 unique robot designs, and broke our team into groups to build these robots. Some of the ideas were low goal scorer with ground pickup, high goal scorer human loader, etc. We had swerve drives, holonomic drives, tank drives, everything.

Each team was given a couple of days to build and program their 'bots and then we competed.

We didn't know it at the time, but the mini competitions we had in that first week of build season replicated actual "real" gameplay almost identically. It showed how much defense would be played against the shooters, the importance of autonomous, etc.

The other great aspect was the EVERY student on the team was involved, EVERY student learned the rules and got to build something. When it came time to start designing and building the big robot a unique thing happened. Some of the older students broke off to work on the big robot while the other, less experienced students continued to develop their vexbots because we could not get them to stop.

The vex motors weren't capable of firing the balls, so they figured out how to wire in a victor speed controller to the vex controller and ran fisher price motors for the ball shooters. One team had such a complex robot that they had to run a second vex controller as a slave because they used more than 8 PWMs.

We worked with the organizers of the Hartford regional to put on a demo to share our idea and experiences with the rest of the FIRST community. It was a great hit and we're currently working with FIRST to try and bring it to nationals. If anyone would like more information on how to build a 1/3 scale mini FRC Vex bot, please contact us. The more the merrier.

Below are some pictures from back at the shop and Hartford:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23765?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23766?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23767?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23768?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23769?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23770?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23771?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23772?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23773?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23774?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23775?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23776?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23777?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC40 presents Mini FRC:Aim High!

I saw your guys demo for a little bit, although I didn't get to check it out in detail. I think it's a pretty cool idea, kind of like how Art made all those mini tetras and goals last year.

Wouldn't it be a great way to transition kids between VEX and FRC? Have them play a scaled down version of the game for a while. That's pretty neat.

Did you need an auxillary power source to power the Fisher Price motors?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
no team

gren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the fisher price motors were run off of speed controllers that were powered by a second vex battery.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I count as two people!
AKA: Nathan Bixler
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2004
irishninja is a glorious beacon of lightirishninja is a glorious beacon of lightirishninja is a glorious beacon of lightirishninja is a glorious beacon of lightirishninja is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to irishninja

I'm so sad I didn't see it. I was at hartford (Team 694 YAY) but I cmpletely missed it.

We did somethin like tat last year where we just built a miniature scale model of last years robot Yvette. It was Yvette-ette and she did everyhting her larger counterpart could do. We brought it to the NYC regional and let peeople drive it around, it was pretty cool and popular.

VEX is definatley a good way to teach people about FIRST and robotics.

VEX Robotics Blog
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:20 AM
AKA: David Hillman
FRC #1577 (Steampunk) & FRC #125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Mentor

David55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to behold

That is pretty cool and a great idea.
Do you have any more pictures or video?

Thanks
David
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 12:01 PM
no team

We do have more pictures and an awesome video, which is currently huge. We can definately post more pics, probably this weekend because one of the students has most of them.
The video we'll have to work on, I heard it's around 1GB
So I'll try to get them to cut it down into smaller segments and then compress it some to make it more manageable.

We are competing in Boston next weekend and will have all of the mini FRC bots with us as well as video playing in our pits.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 02:11 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

This all seems very familiar... It's kind of creepy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Marra
I saw your guys demo for a little bit, although I didn't get to check it out in detail. I think it's a pretty cool idea, kind of like how Art made all those mini tetras and goals last year.
Cost Effective Robotics - Using VEX in FRC: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/1716

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 02:25 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gren737
This year FRC team 40 (intelitek and Trinity HS) took on a new approach to the brainstorming and prototyping process for the game. The students at Trinity HS used a beta version of intelitek's new robotics curriculum called REC (Robotics Engineering Curriculum) to learn about Vex and easyC before the FRC season began. This allowed them to build sophisticated robots and write autonomous programs very quickly for prototyping this year's Aim High game.
I'm impressed at the Vex robots that your team dreamed up this year. I saw a bunch of them at UTC, but sadly I never actually got to see one of the matches in action. I've had plans to build a Mini Aim High robot since the Kickoff; but so far I haven't really had any time to build much. The day after the Kickoff I tried building a bunch of different shooters that would shoot raquetballs. Unfortunately, raquetballs are too heavy to be used for shooting in Vex.

I did have one of those deja vu moments when I saw the TechnoKats robot this year, as I built almost that exact same design out of Vex parts the day after the Kickoff.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

How many robots did you run at once? I seem to remember something about control system limits keeping you at 4 or less, did you find a solution to this or did you just make it 4 robots at a time only?

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
AKA: hank
FRC #1610 (bot)

mrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to mrmummert

Hey folks...
This is way cool...kinda creepy for our team though...Look at this picture of the mini bot...http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/23769?

And here's ours

http://www.virginiafirst.org/2006/ga.../target76.html

then again...we did win Nasa/VCU....hmmmm bet your not the only ones who do this next year....lol
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2003
Francis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud ofFrancis-134 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Francis-134 Send a message via Yahoo to Francis-134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Krass
How many robots did you run at once? I seem to remember something about control system limits keeping you at 4 or less, did you find a solution to this or did you just make it 4 robots at a time only?
We had six going at once. There is no limit to the number of robots that can go at once as long as you have the appropriate number of crystals for each robot (a total of six sets). We have no sort of "central controller" that we plug into, if that was what you were referencing. We simply use a timer and someone yelling "STOP!" and "GO!" between periods. Since it's just amongst friends (for now), we all just stop moving the robots at specific times.

Hopefully, I should have some video of this up soon.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || Director of Fun for BattleCry@WPI (Yes, that's my official title)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 09:44 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

Did they release more crystals? I seem to remember only four unique sets. It's been a while though.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:16 PM
The Arizona Mentor
AKA: Andrew
FRC #0167 (Children of the Corn)

Rookie Year: 2004
Donut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond repute

They have 2 sets of crystals, each with four crystals. If you include the starter one in addition to that, you can run up to 9 robots simultaneously.

This is definetly something I'm looking into for prototyping for the team now. It would greatly assist us in doing something productive in the fall too; we've had problems trying other small robots the past few years.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Krass
Did they release more crystals? I seem to remember only four unique sets. It's been a while though.
I own 9 unique sets of crystals. Four are only available online.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0040 (Pioneers)

Rookie Year: 1993
Dan Larochelle has a spectacular aura aboutDan Larochelle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Larochelle

There are 10 crystals frequency available to the public.
61 - starter kit
89 - Additional Transmitter/Receiver kit
65,69,81 and 85 - Crystal kit A
63,67,83 and 87 - Crystal kit B

FIRST has additional Frequencies that used only for competitions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: