OCCRA
Go to Post I'm sure you can come up with something, with a bit of warped thought! ... and if not, warped thinking is what your team's Engineers are for! :) - kmcclary [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
no team (FIRST)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Collin Fultz
Off Sides Robot

I was wondering how the referee crew decided which robot would be penalized for being "off sides" during the match? I know that you have to assign it to a specific robot for the scoring system, but I never knew how they decided which one? If a ref from an event can clear this up, that'd be awesome!

I now have a twitter, apparently I am the latter...

http://www.twitter.com/iluvcollinfultz

Collin Fultz
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Captain
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Zoheb N is just really niceZoheb N is just really niceZoheb N is just really niceZoheb N is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Zoheb N
Re: Off Sides Robot

Well im not a ref but i think they give the penalty to the team closest to the half court line or the team that looks like they are suppose to be the back bot... but then again that is what i think
2005 Lone Star General Motors Industrial Design Winner
2005 Lone Star Regional Winner
2005 Lone Star Regional Chairman's Winner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

I don't think it matters. The penalty counts against the entire alliance.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:56 PM
no team (FIRST)

Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre
I don't think it matters. The penalty counts against the entire alliance.

True. But, it may effect how others look at that team for drafting. If a team is constantly getting penalized for off sides, scouts may notice that. But the refs don't know the strategy of the alliances and who was supposed to be the backbot, and thus, should be penalized for not following the strategy.

Collin Fultz
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:59 PM
no team (AndyMark, Inc.)

Rookie Year: 2001
Brant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Brant Bowen Send a message via Skype™ to Brant Bowen

Ogre is right it doesn't really matter because it is a 5-point penalty, but the way we called it at the Boilermaker Regional was that the two mid-field referees would keep track of the backbot and if it crossed the line at any point, they would call the penalty on that team. If after the 5 second buffer time the alliance had no established backbot (which rarely happened), I beleive they noted the penalty on the alliance as a whole and the scoring table just put the penalty into one of team's penatly points for the purpose of scoring the match correctly.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 01:00 PM
n.e.r.d #6
no team

Jon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant future

They probably choose who it was that crossed off sides, unless they were there from the beginning in which case it is probably just chosen.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Fultz
True. But, it may effect how others look at that team for drafting. If a team is constantly getting penalized for off sides, scouts may notice that. But the refs don't know the strategy of the alliances and who was supposed to be the backbot, and thus, should be penalized for not following the strategy.
Yes, it may reflect negatively on the team that was the actual offender. But, it also reflects negatively on the other teams in the alliance.
The whole alliance is responsible for their strategy. The other two coaches should recognize that the alliance has no backbot and make the proper adjustments.
I do see your point on drafting though.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 03:35 PM
no team

Marissa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant Bowen
Ogre is right it doesn't really matter because it is a 5-point penalty, but the way we called it at the Boilermaker Regional was that the two mid-field referees would keep track of the backbot and if it crossed the line at any point, they would call the penalty on that team. If after the 5 second buffer time the alliance had no established backbot (which rarely happened), I beleive they noted the penalty on the alliance as a whole and the scoring table just put the penalty into one of team's penatly points for the purpose of scoring the match correctly.
Hey Collin!

Brant is exactly right-- Andrew and I kept track of the backbot, and made a call on who to call it on. When I called on a particular team, basically, whichever team was last on the backbot side got called-- if there were none, it was the team that seemed like they should be on the backbot side (closest to center, or looking like it was going to the backbot side, but never actually ever getting there). During the one match where an alliance NEVER had a robot on the backbot side, and we called 5 backbot penalties, we just gave the penalties to the scorekeepers, and they assigned them randomly, but that is the only case.

Thanks for a great Boilermaker regional everyone! I can't wait for next year!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:06 PM
no team (FIRST)

Thanks Brant and Marissa...I guess I could have just asked you while I stood next to you for two days.

Collin Fultz
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Ninja
AKA: Sanders
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
Revolverx7 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Revolverx7

From what I have seen, the penalty is assessed to the last team to have crossed the mid-field line.
2005 SBPLI Regional Champions
2005 Philly Regional Finalists
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: