Go to Post Dedication to FIRST gets more challenging as life gets more complicated but the rewards are SOOOOO worth it! - Sean Schuff [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Chairman's Award Closet Hermit
AKA: Justin Capalbo
FRC #0075 (Team RoboRaiders)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
JC-75 has a spectacular aura aboutJC-75 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to JC-75
National Engineering Inspiration Award

After winning this at two regionals I still have to say it's a mystery to me. I asked both Dean and Woody at Boston and neither of them knew whether it was an overall award or a division award. I assume it's like Chairman's and it's overall, but is it like Chairman's in that it's only open to regional EI winners?

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

2005 Trenton AVA Winners
2006 Boston AVA Winners
2006 Trenton Engineering Inspiration Award Winners
2006 Boston Engineering Inspiration Award Winners
<3 FIRST
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:19 PM
no team

AmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond repute
Re: National Engineering Inspiration Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-75
After winning this at two regionals I still have to say it's a mystery to me. I asked both Dean and Woody at Boston and neither of them knew whether it was an overall award or a division award. I assume it's like Chairman's and it's overall, but is it like Chairman's in that it's only open to regional EI winners?

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.
I assume you are talking about the international, championship Engineering Inspiration award? And you're asking if there is one given out, or one per division given out, and if it's open to everyone?

The Awards section of the game manual xplains each award. For Chairmans and divison awards, it specifies. For EI, it just says it will be given to a team. It is not only open to regional EI winners (as far as I know), so it's open to any team at Champs.

Co-Chair Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee 2004-2011
2008 St. Louis Regional Finalists and Engineering Inspiration Award
2007 St. Louis Regional Champions - Thanks 1444 & 829! / St. Louis and Boilermaker Quality Award
2006 Boilermaker Chairman's Award
Referee - IRI - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
2005 Midwest Regional - Semifinalist, Engineering Inspiration Award, and Safety Award / Boilermaker Regional - Judges Award
2004 Midwest Regional Champions - Thanks 269 and 930! / IRI Runner-Up - Thanks to 234 and 447!!!
2004 Championship: Archimedes Finalist - Thanks 716 and 1272!
"We are going to be praised and criticized more than we deserve. We are not to be affected by either." ~ co-worker
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 12:37 AM
AKA: Mason Markee
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
MasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond reputeMasonMM has a reputation beyond repute

Only one is given out at the championship event. typically it is a team in the race for national chairman's award. I can imagine its because the judges see more of these teams because of the interviews and have a better idea of what that teams does, and because the awards meet similar criteria. but these are only assumptions as the awards selection process is a secret to me.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 05:55 AM

I discovered that yes, it's a non-division overall award open to any team, and while the regional chairman's winners have a greater chance at winning it it's definitely possible for a non-chairman's winner to recieve it, just a lot more difficult. The award descriptions are a little different, that's what makes it possible, I think. All the judges are very different.

2005 Trenton AVA Winners
2006 Boston AVA Winners
<3 FIRST
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 09:57 AM
no team

AmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonMM
Only one is given out at the championship event. typically it is a team in the race for national chairman's award. I can imagine its because the judges see more of these teams because of the interviews and have a better idea of what that teams does, and because the awards meet similar criteria. but these are only assumptions as the awards selection process is a secret to me.
I would not necessarily say teams in the running for chairmans are usually the EI winner (but I didn't look at past years stats). Or I should say - it's not BECAUSE they are in the running for CA. The judges for Chairmans are (or are at regionals) different than judges for all the other awards. So, if a team in the running for chairmans wins the EI, it's because they proved to the rest of the judges that talked to them in their pits that they deserve to win it based on their teams' activities.

Theoretically, only the chairmans award judges read the CA entries, so they are the only ones armed with all the extra information up front. The other judges should be gathering information directly from the teams during the event and should not have any predisposed opinion of teams, including CA candidates. Once the judges deliberate and make their decisions, I believe they'd make sure EI and CA aren't the same team.

But, due to some of the similarity and overlap of judging criteria for both, it's likely that a CA candidate is also found to be a candidate for EI. But I don't believe the judges should be using the CA entries to make that determination.

Co-Chair Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee 2004-2011
2008 St. Louis Regional Finalists and Engineering Inspiration Award
2007 St. Louis Regional Champions - Thanks 1444 & 829! / St. Louis and Boilermaker Quality Award
2006 Boilermaker Chairman's Award
Referee - IRI - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
2005 Midwest Regional - Semifinalist, Engineering Inspiration Award, and Safety Award / Boilermaker Regional - Judges Award
2004 Midwest Regional Champions - Thanks 269 and 930! / IRI Runner-Up - Thanks to 234 and 447!!!
2004 Championship: Archimedes Finalist - Thanks 716 and 1272!
"We are going to be praised and criticized more than we deserve. We are not to be affected by either." ~ co-worker
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPrib
I would not necessarily say teams in the running for chairmans are usually the EI winner (but I didn't look at past years stats). Or I should say - it's not BECAUSE they are in the running for CA. The judges for Chairmans are (or are at regionals) different than judges for all the other awards. So, if a team in the running for chairmans wins the EI, it's because they proved to the rest of the judges that talked to them in their pits that they deserve to win it based on their teams' activities.

Theoretically, only the chairmans award judges read the CA entries, so they are the only ones armed with all the extra information up front. The other judges should be gathering information directly from the teams during the event and should not have any predisposed opinion of teams, including CA candidates. Once the judges deliberate and make their decisions, I believe they'd make sure EI and CA aren't the same team.

But, due to some of the similarity and overlap of judging criteria for both, it's likely that a CA candidate is also found to be a candidate for EI. But I don't believe the judges should be using the CA entries to make that determination.
The Chairman's judges also judge other awards as well, and the other judges have some input at Chairman's, or so I have been led to beleive. Additionally, if you give the judges who come to your pits a copy of your chairman's award, that is often a great way to help make sure all the judges know what you have done.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:47 PM

In Boston... we weren't eligible for Chairman's, but we did give the judges a copy of the submission if they wanted more information about what we've done, so that's a good bit of advice =)

2005 Trenton AVA Winners
2006 Boston AVA Winners
<3 FIRST

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: