Go to Post Teach 'em young, and they will go far. - Vashts6583 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 10:47 AM
FRC #0085 (BOB)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Springman is an unknown quantity at this point
Average Scoring for Individual Bots

Has anyone been keeping individual robots stats at any of the regionals? We tried to track every goal scored (high or low) and ramp points for the WMR. Our ranking system maintained a scoring average for each robot during the qualification matches. Since the points scored in auto mode can get the bonus 10 pts., we used a 1.33 multiplier for those. Below are some of the results. Does anyone have any stats like this from some of the other regionals?

85 52.3
70 32.7
451 31.9
27 31.7
494 27.6
107 24.1
322 23.6 (Amazing for a low goal shooter)
201 23.4 (How did they not get picked?)
858 23.4
234 23.1
74 20.9
66 18.6
1256 17.6
302 17.6
910 17.4
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Christian group in FIRST? Ideas?
FRC #1126 (SparX)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
Dylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dylan Gramlich
Re: Average Scoring for Individual Bots

our scouting master did an awsome job this year (way to go courtney) and made sure we all sorts of stats i dont have the numbers with me right now for FLR but can hopefully pot at a later date.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM
rourke's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Father of the Triplets
AKA: Stephen Rourke
FRC #1114 (Simbotics), 1503 (Spartonics), & 1680 (FESStronics)
Team Role: Mentor

rourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond reputerourke has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to account for scoring "efficiency" as well as for the score. A robot that scores an average of 30 points, but converts less than 50% of attempts is not as valuable to an alliance as a robot that averages 30 points but converts 75%+. Good scouting teams are not only keeping track of average scores, but they are also factoring in the percentage of completions (scoring efficiency) in ranking the best shooters. You don't want a partner that wastes all the balls (and precious time) just to get 30 points.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
#0322 (F.I.R.E.)

Rookie Year: 1999
Kelly322 is on a distinguished road

I don't have any data from other regionals, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. This is great information!! This is great stuff to have in-hand as we all head to Atlanta. I do have one question, though. Is this the average over 9 qualifying matches? I only ask because my team (322) had one match where we didn't move at all. Darn battery switch! Thanks to our wonderful alliance mates, we still "won", but scored zero points.

Kelly
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Team 107 Holland Christian / Metal
None #0107 (Team Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 1997
Jim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springman
Has anyone been keeping individual robots stats at any of the regionals? We tried to track every goal scored (high or low) and ramp points for the WMR. Our ranking system maintained a scoring average for each robot during the qualification matches. Since the points scored in auto mode can get the bonus 10 pts., we used a 1.33 multiplier for those. Below are some of the results. Does anyone have any stats like this from some of the other regionals?

85 52.3
70 32.7
451 31.9
27 31.7
494 27.6
107 24.1
201 23.4 (How did they not get picked?)
858 23.4
234 23.1
74 20.9
66 18.6
1256 17.6
302 17.6
910 17.4

This is an interesting post ,the numbers for team 107 is correct but we were dq in a match so there is 0 averaged instead of 67 .I think we were better than he numbers show.I am sad we are not going to Atlanta. I might show up to cheer for team 85 and say hello to old friends if time allow.I couldn't believe 201 didn't get picked they had very good machine.But that can happen when you go to west Michigan there are so many good teams.The fourth seed beat us by 1 3 point ball in 3rd match .Watching the 1 seed and the 8th seed play it was hard to tell what alliance was the one seed .I think that new picking was a huge disadvantage at this regional and you could see the same thing at Atlanta.

Jim schaddelee
2005 West michigan Champs with 93 and 66
2005 Johnson & Johnson sportsmanship (west michigan)
2005 web site award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 04:02 PM
former driver, now mentor
AKA: Cory Gramlich
FRC #1126 (SparX)
Team Role: College Student

jagman2882 has a spectacular aura aboutjagman2882 has a spectacular aura aboutjagman2882 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jagman2882

ive already started a post that is very similar
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...+2006+scor es

by the way dylan, the radioshack award last year was at buckeye, so it kinda isnt 2 years running since it was won at a different event
'06 Finger Lakes Champs, '08 Finalists
'08 Buckeye Motorola Quality Award
'07 Buckeye General Motors Industrial Design Award
'05 Buckeye Radioshack Inovation in Control award, '06, '07 Finger Lakes Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award

Last edited by jagman2882 : 04-03-2006 at 04:05 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Since the points scored in auto mode can get the bonus 10 pts., we used a 1.33 multiplier for those.

Low shooters which win autonomous mode should get these points counted double, not just 1.33.....1726 won auton in quite a few qualifying matches at Phoenix and Davis by shooting 6-10 balls in.

Although you really need to separate the bonus points out, if more than one team scores in auton, which does happen occasionally.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I know that 93 had a similar database to this at Wisconsin.

Personally, I know we were scoring 30-40 points a match on average, sometimes more. We just grabbed and dumped into 1-point, then were a pain in the behind to the other teams while we were on defense. We had 2 Andymark's on our drivetrain and every intention to use them!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 04:53 PM
i heart infrared
AKA: Neil Parikh
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

nparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nparikh Send a message via MSN to nparikh Send a message via Skype™ to nparikh

Well as for alliances, in the Elims at NJ,
Quote:
QF1: 94 & 100 pts
SF1: 95 & 116 pts
F: 78 (to 71 - awesome defense!) & 96 pts
Average: 96.5 pts
-petek
'twas 25+103+1279

Team 25 Alumnus
Attending: NJ Regional, Boston Regional, the Championship Event
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Hoshua The 2nd
AKA: Joshua aka "Hosh"
FRC #0085 (Built On Brains B.O.B.)

Jherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Jherbie53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schaddelee
This is an interesting post ,the numbers for team 107 is correct but we were dq in a match so there is 0 averaged instead of 67 .I think we were better than he numbers show.I am sad we are not going to Atlanta. I might show up to cheer for team 85 and say hello to old friends if time allow.I couldn't believe 201 didn't get picked they had very good machine.But that can happen when you go to west Michigan there are so many good teams.The fourth seed beat us by 1 3 point ball in 3rd match .Watching the 1 seed and the 8th seed play it was hard to tell what alliance was the one seed .I think that new picking was a huge disadvantage at this regional and you could see the same thing at Atlanta.

Jim schaddelee
You guys were great. I didn't see too many of your matches but you did good. Too bad your not going to Nationals, you could of done good there. Anyhoo, I wish we could of done this points system with other regionals, but thats never going to happen.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Scouting Away
AKA: Caroline Marr
FRC #0175 (Buzz Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

ScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud ofScoutingNerd175 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ScoutingNerd175
Smile Re: Average Scoring for Individual Bots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourke
You really need to account for scoring "efficiency" as well as for the score. A robot that scores an average of 30 points, but converts less than 50% of attempts is not as valuable to an alliance as a robot that averages 30 points but converts 75%+. Good scouting teams are not only keeping track of average scores, but they are also factoring in the percentage of completions (scoring efficiency) in ranking the best shooters. You don't want a partner that wastes all the balls (and precious time) just to get 30 points.
Actually, we have a similar scoring system and we tend to believe that comes out in the wash. If YYY scores 5 balls in auton out of ten by spraying out 10 balls vs. team XXX who takes forever to line up and scores 5 balls, well it doesn't really matter to me. Each has scored 5 points. Doesn't matter to me, each is just as useful to the alliance, in my opinion. If they miss a lot of balls, this will probably figure into their average.

I don't figure their average including anything for bonus points. Not all good autons win bonus points and not all bonus point winning autons are good. We generally make a list of overall score and cross reference it with auton score (go sort function)

at any rate, I'm going to see how long I can keep the pocket PC on to type in scores, here we go.

I believe that lower goal scoring made a lot of difference in these rankings. This is total score average. The defense at this regional was amazing. As I look at this list, most of them also play great defense.

Chesapeake Regional
293-29 3rd Seed, great shooter, great looking, everyone wanted this one.
341-25.7 12th seed, Great robot, our first pick of the teams lower than us
56-25.5 11th seed, Really nice robot, I believe they made it a lot shorter for
this regional
399-23.29 16th seed, Excellent robot, probably should have been picked
sooner
175-20.1 4th Seed, Champions, someone else describe it, I can't
1389-19.29 38th Seed these guys were a 2nd round pick, should have gone a
lot earlier
1629-18 1st seed, very good robot, definitely wanted to be with them,
Champions
225-16.63 10th seed, Only lower score, great, consistent auton
237-16.29 13th seed, Very good upper scoring, excellent turret
888-15.86 5th seed, Good shooter, one of the best during match play, Finalist
103-14.71 22nd seed, Interesting system, unique robot
484-13.86 9th seed, Lower goal robot, consistent scorer
612-13.83 20th seed, Very nice machine, good all around, Chairmans award
winners (yeah, I know not the robot)
836-13.02 27th seed, great robot, good scoring during match, def. on our list
181-12.42 2nd seed, solid all around robot, would kick but with auton, Finalist
339-11.57 24th seed, the only top of ramp robot at the regional, very good,
got on to ramp in auton, hard to stop
1111-10.38 7th seed, shooting pretty good, lower quite good
1184-10.14 39th seed, Lower goal, good pusher, great ramp, Champions

Thats definite evidence for the fact that seed does not necessarily represent robot scoring ability.

University of Michigan, Class of 2012
Syracuse University, Class of 2010
Enrico Fermi High School, Class of 2006

Last edited by ScoutingNerd175 : 04-03-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Should probably mention what regional
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
FRC #0085 (BOB)

Springman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman2882
ive already started a post that is very similar
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...+2006+scor es

by the way dylan, the radioshack award last year was at buckeye, so it kinda isnt 2 years running since it was won at a different event

This link refers to the alliance average scores. The data that was listed at the top was for individual robots, not alliances. There were nine matches at WMR and this data does not include DQ's. Aka, it still gives the team credit for the points even though they might have been DQ'd. 322, it does account for the match that you did not move. So your average would be higher if w only counted 8 matches.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
The FIRE team
AKA: Dan Clemons
FRC #0322 (The Fire Team)

Rookie Year: 2000
dan 322 will become famous soon enoughdan 322 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
322, it does account for the match that you did not move. So your average would be higher if w only counted 8 matches.
That reminds me, Everyone keep a good eye on your main power switch (the one that turns the robot on/off). Our switch started to fail and we didn't know it until our bot set through a whole match without moving. I went up to the bot and tapped the top of the power switch and it came back on. Small parts noted they have had quite a few teams with this problem. If the switch starts to feel "spongey" your switch might be failing.

Thanks for the match scoring information.
2003 Pittsburg Regional Champs
2003 Great Lakes Regional Finalist
2004 Great Lakes Regional Champs
2004 Website Award Winners
2004 Newton Division Finalist
2005 Great Lakes Regional Finalist
2005 Motorola Quality Award
2006 Motorola Quality Award
2006 General Motors Industrial Award
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 04:56 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

While I can't give an exact statistic, because we didn't record our individual score, and we didn't know the exact score all the time (didn't know how many shots our HP made every match etc), I can give an estimate of how many points 116 scored.
We would typically get around 25 or so points a match, our lowest (not couting practice) being 13 (if you use the 1.33 auto multiplier, otherwise it's 10) points, and our highest being somwhere in the upper 30s or low 40s (depending on how you score the ramp when 3 robots are on it). Not too bad for only making a single center goal shot our entire regional season, and that was in a practice match.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Erik Wood
FRC #0836 (Robobees)

E. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant futureE. Wood has a brilliant future

Quote:
Orginally Posted by ScoutingNerd175
I believe that lower goal scoring made a lot of difference in these rankings. This is total score average. The defense at this regional was amazing. As I look at this list, most of them also play great defense.

I was just wondering what total score means. Is the the average of the number of points each robot scored on its own (so my team 1629 averaged 6 shots in), or is this number based on some combination of ramp points, points scored during the match and auto-mode bonus points?
- 2012 Regional Chairman's Award Winner - Chesapeake Regional
- 2011 Regional Chairman's Award Winner - Chesapeake Regional

Team 1629 "GACO"
- 2010 Regional Chairman's Award Winner - Chesapeake Regional

http://www.robobees.org
http://www.growingSTEMS.org

Last edited by E. Wood : 04-08-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: