Go to Post I have caught a very strong case of FIRST fever. - weinbergmath [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2006, 11:02 PM
FRC #0204
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Freddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond repute
Public Speaking: FIRST

For my Public Speaking class and for the final speech, I have to give a 8-10 minute speech on anything. Of all the things I choose, it was FIRST. Now I need some help with this one. I want to discuss what FIRST is about and why it was created. However, that is what I have come up with so far. What else do you think I should talk about. VEX, FFL, anything. If anyone has any short 2 min video on anything FIRST, let me know).

Also, I need 5 credible resources.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2006, 12:15 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
Re: Public Speaking: FIRST

Hmm.. did I miss something, or did you just say "this is what I came up with so far" in the passive way that you were going to attach a speech or something to your post?

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

Start with the background of FIRST
Then move into that FIRST has branched into FFL, FVC, and FRC.
Talk about each making sure you hit:
  1. Why FIRST decided to start this specific thingasdf
  2. What it has done for the kids
  3. How does it relate to the other branches of FIRST
I would possible also put in how it has affected you as well.

This is just what i would do. Good luck.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung

It's nice that you are asking for help, really, people on this forum is more than happy to offer whatever help they can to anyone asking for it.

But, I can't help but notice this is your speech, your class, your school, and your degree we are talking about here. And it is your FIRST experience and your life you are talking about here too.

Surely you must have some thoughts about FIRST since you care so much about it. The class sounds like it's supposed to teach you to speak to the public about things you care about, so, how about you tell us what's on your mind, then others can help you solve specific problems you have no answer to, after exhausting every option of solving them.

Just trust me on this, these kind of project/challenge/paper are so much more fun and valuable when and if you put everything you got into it.

Here is what I suggest the first step is: Brainstorming.

Grab a piece of paper, write down anything and everything you thought of about FIRST. Doesn't matter if you think they are small, or stupid, or not worth talking about. Write everything down, and that's your starting point. Then you can start figuring out the topic, the structure, and hammer out the specifics from there.

It really is a lot of fun! Just trust your instinct and let yourself go!

1999-2001: Team 192 Gunn Robotics Team
2001-2002: Team 100, 192, 258, 419
2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
2003-2004, 2006-2007: California Robot Games Manager
2008: MC in training @ Sac, CalGames
2009: Master of Ceremony @ Sac, CalGames
2010: GA in training @ SVR, Sac.
2010-2011: Mechanical Mentor, Team 115 MVRT
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of resources on the FIRST website, including the recent evaluation of FIRST programs by Brandeis, a power point presentation, and all the stats you need.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

I did a speech about FIRST for my public speaking class. I can tell you that it is very difficult to squeeze FIRST into that length of time, and I didn't talk about the other branches of FIRST either (FLL, FVC).
I'd say stick to FRC. Talk about the history of FRC, all the benefits it has (students, mentors, businesses) and your experiences with it.
I also have a 1 minute clip from the beginning of the promo video FIRST made.
http://download.yousendit.com/B374B1B35733E8BC
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2006, 10:14 AM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405

Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Delles
[list=1][*]Why FIRST decided to start this specific thingasdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Originally Posted by Alex Cormier
1,4,somehting .... 2001

Okay lets just make this clear. He goes to Canton not Clarkson.

All that aside he does spell worse than an engineer.
Let's take note. Tim does go to Clarkson, a higher class school then SUNY Canton...

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Free Agent
AKA: Jeff Martinez
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Martinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with the speech. I know first hand how nerve racking it can be standing out in front of a large group. The key thing is that it is what you enjoy. Your passion will really come out to make for a better report.

Feel free to use anything from my FIRST Owego Proposal. As for other references, take a look at the FIRST flyers available in the resource section of their webpage. Mine is a combination of talking to other teams, FIRST tidbits, and the good old brain.

My recomidation is to know your audience. What do they know and what do they want to learn. Start with the assumption that they know nothing works well too. Then decide what you want to speak about, what you want to focus on, and finally time yourself so you don't go over.
Former 2053 Tigertronics Mentor and Engineer
Former Chuck 84 Mentor and Engineer
Former Lockheed Martin, VH-71 Program Employee.
Let us never rest till every student has FIRST Rate Opportunities!
Program Proposal: FRC
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
FRC #0204

Freddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond repute

I need 5 legitimate sources for my presentation. Does anyone know where I could get information.

1. FIRST-www.usfirst.org
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Schurr
I need 5 legitimate sources for my presentation. Does anyone know where I could get information.
1. FIRST- and more specifically http://www.usfirst.org/about/impact.htm
2. http://www.firstwiki.org/Main_Page - All Things FIRST - plenty o history there.
3. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/portal.php yes.. internet forums are a valid source, check your MLA documentation on how to cite posts.
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Kamen Bio of Dean, and links to Articles on FIRST
5. and finally.. everyone needs pics for projects. http://robotphotos.org/v/first/

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

Mine's in APA format.

FIRST. (2005, Sep ). 2005 annual report. , Retrieved Mar 06, 2006, from http://www.usfirst.org/about/2005/annualreport2005.pdf.

Honawar, V. (2005). U.S. leaders fret over students' math and science weaknesses. Education Weekly, 25(3), 1-13.

Melchior, A., Cohen F., Cutter T., and Leavitt, T. (2005, Apr ). More than robots: an evaluation of the first robotics competition participant and institutional impacts. Retrieved Mar 08, 2006, from http://www.usfirst.org/about/impact/...c_finalrpt.pdf.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:46 PM
FRC #0204

I have decided to talk about the following three topics

1. Dean Kamen and possibly Woodie Flowers and Dave Lavery

then into

2. The FRC competition, mention this year and what we had to do.

and finally

3. How the students benefit from the competition (i.e interest in engineering or science, college scholarships and just getting your hands dirty)

I think it all flows together for somewhat reason.

So yeah, I am going to be working on the outline tomorrow and present on Monday at noon-time.

Should be fun.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2006, 11:39 PM
FRC #0204

Yeah< I just finished my outline and visual aids

It's alright, not good but alright

I let you know what happens
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Awards/Photo/Video &quot;wizard&quot;
AKA: Doug Hitchcock
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
dhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant future

Freddy,
you'll do just fine.....just remember:

1) This is a "personal" experience, so make every point something that relates to YOU or your audience; not just facts & figures about FIRST

2) This is in front of your public speaking class; not the United nations. Therefore, the audience is your ALLY, not your enemy. Look everyone in the eye as you present. Don't stand stiffly behind a podiou; remember that you're EMOTIONAL about your role in FIRST.

3) For 8-10 minutes, you can get by with as few as 4 Powerpoint slides! Yes, if you've got more than 15 slides, it's way too much info. Be SURE to rehearse this in front of other people at least three times for timing. It will go by very quickly.

4) Don't "read" off your presentation slides, or don't use background PPT slides at all; use a cheat sheet on the front desk. Don't have loose stuff in your pockets and get rid of your cell phone during your presentation.

Have fun! But don't start-off by telling some lame joke.....you're not a professional stand-up......

RollingThunder....Winner of the 2007 Chairman's Award at Finger Lakes Regional and Spirit Award at Boston.....Winner of 2006 Finger Lakes Regional Engineering Inspriation and Boston Imagery awards.......Winner of 2005 World Championship Rookie All-Star (plus FLR Rookie All-Star, Buckeye Top-Seeded Rookie, GTR Champion, Spirit, and Inspiration)

"Gracious Professionalism is a WAY of life".....
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhitchco
Have fun! But don't start-off by telling some lame joke.....you're not a professional stand-up......
I wouldn't necessarily say that--a well-timed lame joke can be handy for breaking tension, or getting attention. Just make sure it's a really good lame joke and that the timing is right. (You wouldn't put it in the middle of a big important point you're trying to make, for example.)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP IRI? SCRIW IV (48,749.9 miles)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: