OCCRA
Go to Post ...the list of the things we want to get done in the off-season has grown to such a length that I have to take off my shoes and socks to count them...and I think I may need to grow a few more toes soon. - StephLee [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
What would Dave do?
AKA: Peter Kieselbach
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to petek
Re: Innovation First acquires Vex from Radio Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
At the Redmond Radio Shack, the staff had built a VEX robot and had the products displayed right inside the door with the robot sitting on top. They said they still had trouble selling the kits: "Why would I pay $300 for a radio-controlled Erector Set?"
Apparently enough people are willing to spend $100 to $300 for several companies to make a business out of it. I think the Vex started kit is priced right for the value you get, but to sell it you have to market it to the people who can and will spend that money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
Probably the biggest problem is that sales reps make a $40-60 spiff for selling each cell phone contract, but only get a commission of a few bucks for each VEX sale. If I were working at Radio Shack, I know which product I'd be excited about.
I think you hit the nail on the head!

#52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Former Lord of the Vex
AKA: George Marchant
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)

Rookie Year: 2000
GeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeTheEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by petek
Apparently enough people are willing to spend $100 to $300 for several companies to make a business out of it. I think the Vex started kit is priced right for the value you get, but to sell it you have to market it to the people who can and will spend that money.
Compared to all those on that Link, I think VEX provide much more versatility. I still think the programming kit needs to be included but it's still a good value for what you can do with it.
Philadelphia Alliance Regional Corporate Advisory Board Member |
FRC and FTC volunteer at too many places to list (NJ, VA, DE, PA, NY, Championship)|

"Hi my name is George and I'm a FIRST-aholic. I've been a FIRST-aholic since 2000..."
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 09:27 AM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex Suchko
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

are any of the prices for vex stuff going to change now that Dean's empire includes VEX?

2008 Championship Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award Winners
Electrical Engineer Illini
1024 | Programmer '06, '07, '08 | Driver '08
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbranch
are any of the prices for vex stuff going to change now that Dean's empire includes VEX?
IFI is an independent company of FIRST, DEKA, Segway, etc. Dean does not own or control it anyway. IFI is a supplier and a sponsor of FIRST, not in anyway connected beyond that.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Impossible to rain on my parade.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2003
Barry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Barry Bonzack Send a message via Skype™ to Barry Bonzack

I would not mind seeing figures of profit made when the price dropped. I went out and spent some scholarship money on a kit and many other of the accessories (275 dollars worth) but I can not afford on my budget anything at the set price. I can see how competition teams, both FRC and FVC, can afford this with sponsorships, and also schools for curriculum. I wonder, however, if this is targeted to high school students as a shelf product if it sold better at a lower price. Which would the majority of high school students buy if given the choice for a $300 Christmas present, an Xbox360 or a Vex kit?

That being said, I am very happy with my kit, and am looking forward to projects in the future. I shall be putting my ps2 controller down for a while during the summer. Go IFI, turn this thing into something BIG!

Jan 12, Emceeing at FTC at University High School
Jan 26, Emceeing FTC Pinellas League Championship Seminole High School in Tampa
Feb 2, Emceeing FTC Tesla League Championship at Cocoa Beach High School
Mar 2, Emceeing FTC State Championship at Embry Riddle Aeronautics University in Daytona
Mar 3, Volunteering for FLL State Championship at UCF in Orlando
Mar 7-9, Announcing FRC Orlando regional
Mar 29-30 Announcing FRC South Florida Regional
Apr 24-27 FTC World Championship in St. Louis
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
no team

jeffmorris is on a distinguished road

People would rather spend money on TV sets, music players, cell phones, game consoles, etc, than on building sets. They would rather watch TV, listen to music, play games, waste time talking to other people, etc, than to try to invent anything.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Parent/Mentor/Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra
FRC #0228 (GUS)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2003
skimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond repute

I only hope that IFI will find a way to keep Vex in the non-FIRST retail arena. Best Buy or Circuit City, or some other retailer(s). Vex is still the best tool for recruiting new schools and students into FIRST. I don't want to see Vex revert to another niche market.

2009 CT Regional Motorola Quality Award
2010 VRC Connecticut Championship Winners & Amaze Award
2010 VRC Championship Divisional Energy Award
2010 WPI Regional Winner
2010 WPI Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2011 WPI Regional Chairman's Award
2012 WPI Regional Finalists
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimoose
I only hope that IFI will find a way to keep Vex in the non-FIRST retail arena. Best Buy or Circuit City, or some other retailer(s). Vex is still the best tool for recruiting new schools and students into FIRST. I don't want to see Vex revert to another niche market.
There are lots of options on the table for other distribution partners. I believe we are also going to be pushing the potential of this program in the educational marketplace.

-JV
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Gearing up for the next round
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN
There are lots of options on the table for other distribution partners.
I see many stores that cater to the educational 'toys', like Learning Express or the late Noodle Kidoodle stores. IFI Marketing would be well advised to find the entry points for those kind of stores for the retail end.

I am also advising all FIRST teams to get a kit plus a programming kit. If you can program the Vex kit, the FIRST RC will be very familiar, just more capable. An excellent tool to educate your new team members...

Oh, yes: Am having loads of fun with my Vex kit.

Don

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
Also visit TARPN to see what's up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: