OCCRA
Go to Post I thought we agreed to just put up a teaser, not a picture of the robot! - IBdrummer [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST In the News...
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.
Front Page NYT Article

This article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/26/ny...rtner=homepage

caught the eye of my mother this morning and it is quite a story.

It is the story of one student on the team from Central Park East High School in East Harlem and his troubles with the immigration system in the US.

It features FIRST but is more about the system.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
AKA: Li Pi
FRC #2984 (Viking Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
114Klutz is a jewel in the rough114Klutz is a jewel in the rough114Klutz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 114Klutz
Re: Front Page NYT Article

Wow....

This story is an excellent example of FIRST inspiring the community, especially those who are most in need.

I myself am an immigrant, and stories like these make me grateful for being a citizen in this nation.

Thanks for posting this article. It was very touching.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting way for FIRST to get attention.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46886

Im cross posting your link in the other thread.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2006, 08:04 PM
NYC Regional Planning Committee
AKA: Cherrie Fleisher-Strauss
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
mom1155 is just really nicemom1155 is just really nicemom1155 is just really nicemom1155 is just really nice

FYI, slight clarification to the article, The Bronx High School of Science Sciborgs Team 1155 are at nationals after having won the NYC Regional Engineering Inspiration award. Look for us in the Newton division.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2006, 11:47 PM
AKA: my real name
FRC #0173 (RAGE)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Daisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant futureDaisy has a brilliant future

How about a petition? Erm...I know a bit late, because most of you are in ATL, but what if someone wrote a petition of some sort, and then had everyone who went to ATL sign it? That is A LOT of people. Or even better, may be to write it, and post it on CD, and then have people sign their names that way.

Is someone willing to do this? I cannot, until next week (5/6) so if someone can do it earlier, or tonight for competition tomorrow it would be awesome.

I know, of course, that this may not be the most persuasive piece, but if no one knows of a lawyer, then maybe something will occur of it.

Just a thought,

Daisy

P.S. Good luck to all teams at ATL!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2006, 11:51 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

If everyone in FIRST donated their lunch money for a week I'll bet we could hire the best immigration lawyer in NYC!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 03:02 PM
AKA: Elizabeth
FRC #1512 (Metal Vidsters)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 1005
MetalVidsters is an unknown quantity at this point

There are so many people involved in First that would want to help him. We should be able to do something.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

I will play devils advocate here.

We are a nation of laws. Amadou Ly has chosen to willfully break these laws to stay here when his Visa ran out. He has chosen to hide from the authorities rather than attempt to work within the system to become a citizen (or legal immigrent). It appears from the article that he has tried to become a citizen only after he got caught. This shows a deep disrespect for our laws and our culture.

I do not know Amadou Ly. I do not know what type of person he is. From the article those who know him speak well of him and, in the end, those people might be his best chance at staying in this country. It is my hope that Amadou Ly gets a fair shot at becoming a legal immigrent and that he has learned that to live within this nation of laws he must follow those laws.

FIRST teaches many lessons far away from the robot. Lets hope that Amandou and others can learn from Amandous' experience.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur
I will play devils advocate here.

We are a nation of laws. Amadou Ly has chosen to willfully break these laws to stay here when his Visa ran out...
You must have read a different article than the one in the NY Times.

When he came here he did not speak english.

His mother left him here when he was 14.

What does a 14 year old living on the streets know about Visa's and immigration laws? What would he know about anything except where his next meal might be coming from?

My parents were divorced when I was 13, so I have some idea what its like to have to fend for yourself (to a degree). I cant imagine what it would be like to be abandoned in a foreign country at that age?

What choices did he have? Flag down a police car and ask to be flow back to Senegal?

Last edited by KenWittlief : 04-28-2006 at 04:31 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Mad Scientist
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
You must have read a different article than the one in the NY Times.

When he came here he did not speak english.

His mother left him here when he was 14.

What does a 14 year old living on the streets know about Visa's and immigration laws? What would he know about anything except where his next meal might be coming from?

My parents were divorced when I was 13, so I have some idea what its like to have to fend for yourself (to a degree). I cant imagine what it would be like to be abandoned in a foreign country at that age?

What choices did he have? Flag down a police car and ask to be flow back to Senegal?
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Never has been.

And he was not found out until he was 17, an age where he should know better and should do the right thing.

Do you truely believe that we should not obey the laws of this nation?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Worry is a poor use of Imagination
AKA: Cynette Cavaliere
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
Cynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Cynette Send a message via AIM to Cynette

OK. Enough Devil's Advocate. Back to Gracious Professionalism. Or at least graciousness.

Cynette (obviously a mom)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:08 PM
#0375 (Robotic Plague)

Mike375 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Mike375

Hi everyone,

I am so glad so many people have already begun to look into ways to help our fellow FIRSTer out with this situation. Although I've never met Amadou, I now find it quite remarkable some of the ways our lives crossed paths, and can cross paths.

I'm an alumni of FIRST (99-03). I attended this year's NYC regional and saw my former high school Staten Island Tech (375) join forces with Morris HS and Amadou's East Harlem Tech to win the regional. The excitement that rookie Harlem team had for the competiton was incredibly contagious, and I was so glad that they received an opportunity to participate in the Championship event.

Now for how I plan to help out. While I'm not familiar with immigration law, I just so happen to attend the college Amadou wants to attend, New York City College of Technology. I am going to make sure everyone from the President, to the admissions office, to the financial aid office is made aware of this story. The school is incredibly diverse with students from all over the planet, and I know as an active FIRST participant, he will thrive in the program of study. I'm also going to contact the team and offer to help him deal with any of the levels of bureacracy he might have to deal with at the college.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
AKA: da Y
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
yfactor is an unknown quantity at this point

There has got to be something the FIRST community can do to help Amadou and other students like him. (I am sure he cannot be the only one since First has grown so large.)

Perhaps donations to his team for him or something to help him get through the immigration process.

I know from experience that gainin citizenship or even a green card takes a lot of money as well as time. (it took me 10 years to get mine.)

I agree with Daniel LaFleur from the PVC Pirates about respecting the laws of the country. However, a 14 year old having to work to provide himself with food, shelter and school supplies has much more to worry about. and from 14 yrs to 17 yrs is 4 years. i will repeat that it took me 10 yrs to get a green card. (my case was unusually long though. it usually takes a max. of 6 years to get one. but still. 6 is more than 4.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2006, 10:26 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Never has been.

And he was not found out until he was 17, an age where he should know better and should do the right thing.

Do you truely believe that we should not obey the laws of this nation?
see, here's the thing - how is it a law when there is no penalty or punishment?

If he is already here illegally, then the 'penalty' for breaking the law is: you get deported

if he had turned himself in: you get deported

If I had been in his situation I would have done the same thing. To quote Dylan "When you aint got nothing, you got nothing to lose".
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Mad Scientist
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
see, here's the thing - how is it a law when there is no penalty or punishment?

If he is already here illegally, then the 'penalty' for breaking the law is: you get deported

if he had turned himself in: you get deported

If I had been in his situation I would have done the same thing. To quote Dylan "When you aint got nothing, you got nothing to lose".
*sigh*
Ken, as a mentor I teach the students to follow the rules. How can I, in good conscience, stand behind someone who knowingly broke the law? His story shows the shades of Grey, and why the system is in place. He should have applied for a temporary green card while working toward a more permanent solution.

Please understand that I am NOT for Amadous' deportation. However, I am for holding up his story as an example of "how fear makes us act against our better interest" and "how good intentions lead to bad examples".

We in FIRST have to hold ourselves to a higher standard. We need to show that being responsible for ones actions should be the norm and is to be praised. We need to either obey the laws/system, or work to to change the laws/system. We need to avoid breaking the laws because they are currently inconvienient.

I wish the very best for Amandou, but not at the cost of our code of laws.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: