OCCRA
Go to Post I believe that those who have a clear understanding of their capabilities, both physical and financial, and design and build within those capabilities are the teams that succeed. - Daniel_LaFleur [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 05:39 PM
AKA: 2415
FRC #2415
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
santosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to santosh
Re: I feel this needs to be said...(Grades & FIRST Dedication)

Mos tof the CircuitRunners are in teh magnet program at our School. This is one of the toughest programs in the country and our magnet was ranked number 5 in the nation amongst all other schools in the country.
I am not going to lie, the grades of most build team people drop a little but we can usualyl pull them up. Most of us pack our 1st smester with tough classes and then try and get a sslack as posible 2nd semester. My 2nd sem. next year will probably be AP Chem, AP Gov, AP Econ., and AP Lit. My grades will suffer a bit, but I feel that I myself have the choice to make. I would rather have FIRST and maybe make 3 A's and 1 B than have straight A's and no FIRST in my senior year.

But the CircuitRunners have a strict policy that states that everyone must have all B's or better to build or travel. Our mentors spnd a long time looking up teh grades of the 100+ of us that there are.
kiddies kiddies kiddies
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Hoshua The 2nd
AKA: Joshua aka "Hosh"
FRC #0085 (Built On Brains B.O.B.)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Jherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Jherbie53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocat1
Next season we'll incorporate "study table time" into the build season at school. I'm thinking an hour of study table 2-3 days a week and then work sessions (some of our mentors can't be there when school gets out anyway).
This is a good idea, no wait, a great idea. We have kinda the samething here, the mentors don't get there until 4-5pm, and the high school ends aroud 2:30, I think. This time should be used for studying and not just waiting for the mentors or playing games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Waegelin
My first year of college, I was skipping classes all the time to drive home to Rochester for meetings with 201. It got to the point where I was skipping all my Friday classes, and some of my Thursday ones to get a jumpstart on the weekend. For one of my classes (which met three times a week), I was going maybe once a week. By the end of the semester, I'd skipped more Friday classes than I'd gone to. So, the moral of the story to all of you, especially current and prospective college FIRSTers: go to class! School is more important than FIRST, bar none.
I more or less paraphrased than quoted, but your right. You should never miss a class if your in college, and it doesn't matter if its a community college or a university. Unless your sick, car problems, or something more important comes up. I know theres already a thread on this subject, but It also needs to be here. This thread is mostly about the high schoolers, but does apply the college students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh
.....of the 100+ of us that there are.
I started this post before you posted, but 100 students! You must have a lot of fun with that many people. Anyhoo, I'm off the subject and need to go get ready for something. Thats my final 2 cents.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
AKA: Ms. Chen-Lee
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Pat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to all

[quote=Jherbie53].......
I more or less paraphrased than quoted, but your right. You should never miss a class if your in college, and it doesn't matter if its a community college or a university. Unless your sick, car problems, or something more important comes up. I know theres already a thread on this subject, but It also needs to be here. This thread is mostly about the high schoolers, but does apply the college students..................QUOTE]

It is not only students who have to make sure their "work" is done.....we the adult mentors have responsibilities to our employers.....we have to make sure our work is done as well.....unlike students.....we do not get second chances. When your parents say that school is a job.....they are not wrong.

Pat Chen
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

This is a good post to remind students of... part of me wishes it were well before build season! I think most get the point, grades HAVE to come first. Now that doesnt mean every student needs a 4.0 GPA, but every student should have an aim of a passing grade or higher.

I see Tom's point that college isnt for everyone... but high school is the time to figure that out... and guess what? If grades dont come first, college WONT be an option. So unless you decide in middleschool that you arent going to EVER go to college, then grades should be your number one priority. Again, that doesnt mean sacrificing FIRST or the swimteam to get a 4.3 GPA (yes some kids at PHS have that... ugh!), but it does mean getting all your work done and trying as hard as you can with the time you have. Good time management (passing up bowling with your friends to do your geometry homework) will do WONDERS for your high school career. Plus, the aim of FIRST is to inspire students in science and technology... and tell me how many jobs in science and technology there are that dont require a college education?

We had a hard time on our team because this year we attracted some students who didnt always have great grades. We had to turn some away from competition. We had to ask a few to stop attending meetings until their grades came up... we even had to give away one's plane ticket because his mother said his grades had dropped. Every instance of this was painful for all of us, but it has to be done. All of our kids have their sights set on college, so they have to keep their grades up. I would have to say most learned from it and brought their grades up, or are still trying.

There were many times this year that students or parents came up to me (guiltily) and said that they needed to miss a meeting, or couldnt come to build because they had too much homework or to study for a test. EVERY time my response was the same... I will NEVER be dissappointed if they are skipping their FIRST responsibilities for studies. The team can still survive, their resume for college wont.

And in closing, I know too many students who in college decided that they didnt need to care about freshman year, or a class they didnt like... they would squeak by with 2.0's or something, and then think they could make it up later... they were WRONG. So many of them ended up with 2.7's and the such, and while that is not bad, I can tell you right now that as a key recruiter for Harris, corporate WILL NOT let us hire any college grad's with less than a 2.8. Some comapanies are 3.0's. So learn how to get those good grades now... it WILL make a difference.
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:57 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

I spent most of today typing and retyping replies to thread, I wanted to get it perfect. I finally got it perfect, looked, and Kim has already said what I wanted to say. Thanks Kim!

I hope this thread helps students realize their priorities need to be on school work first and I hope it helps teams that have to deal with this problem.

I ask that you keep posting helpful things and stories here, so the thread stays visible for awhile at the very least, the more people who see it the better I think.

Thank you everyone.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 11:40 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

While I really, truly appreciate the comments made in this thread, I can only say that I recommend that you never let schools and grades get in the way of getting an education.

Very little of what I use on a daily basis in my career are things I learned in my formal education, but when I was young I developed a passion for learning that has stood me in good stead during 23 years in the high-tech industry. Learning to learn on my own and writing clearly are the two most important results of my early education. The content of what I learned in high school and college has largely been made obsolete since I graduated, but thinking and learning never go out of style.

As for grades, the less said the better. Grades are a bizarre artifact of the educational industry that ought to be eliminated -- and the sooner the better. I have a whole rant that I do on the subject, but let's just say that the older I get, the less sense they make to me. (And for the record, I had good grades in school. This isn't sour grapes.)
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
... I recommend that you never let schools and grades get in the way of getting an education.

Very little of what I use on a daily basis in my career are things I learned in my formal education, but when I was young I developed a passion for learning that has stood me in good stead during 23 years in the high-tech industry. Learning to learn on my own and writing clearly are the two most important results of my early education. The content of what I learned in high school and college has largely been made obsolete since I graduated, but thinking and learning never go out of style.

As for grades, the less said the better. Grades are a bizarre artifact of the educational industry that ought to be eliminated -- and the sooner the better. I have a whole rant that I do on the subject, but let's just say that the older I get, the less sense they make to me. (And for the record, I had good grades in school. This isn't sour grapes.)
Rick, I'd guess that you and I are of about the same educational vintage. I concur with all of what you said above.

Early in my engineering career I got involved in the college recruiting team for my first post-college employer, in the defense sector of TRW in southern California. Although Kim's experiences in that kind of activity are more recent than mine, her posts (above here and elsewhere) show me that not much has changed. Grades are still used as a primary screen when evaluating entry-level candidates for engineering positions. So Kim and others are correct to caution all college students not to let their grades slip. [My own experience with college grades is remarkably similar to Kim's, although my extracurricular activities were different.]

All that said about grades, Rick's points are more important in the long run. The ability to learn on your own and to communicate ideas effectively are the most important skills -- they are elements of that most prized of team members, the self-starter.

Sometime during your career, a fundamental technological change, a global political trend, or a strategic business decision will very likely create a shift in the demand for people with your skill-set (whatever it may be!), and when that happens you will fare much better if you are one of the self-starters.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

I have to agree that being a good learner and a self-starter are definitely very important in the long run of life. And I also have to say that I cant entirely agree with the grading system schools use. I want to think that teachers are "getting it" more and more, by giving students credit for effort, partial credit on incorrect answers, and relying more and more on project work for grades. I had a class at RIT where there were NO exams. It was all on small projects and the final project. So I feel in that case grading is fair... but yes, the fill in the bubble exams really just tell you how good the student is at finding the answer. And dont even get me started on the NY Regents... lol.

But as exampled by many of us here, it is possible to learn to be a good learner, a self starter, a leader AND get decent grades. I dont think the students need to choose. I think they can do it all in this case. All are important, and its definitely NOT necessary to have a 4.0. In fact, my boss told me last year NOT to hire students with a 4.0 (obviously cavioted with the fact that there are exceptions). In general they are too work focused and too book smart to have the common sense that my department needs (we travel a lot to strange places, have to think fast and out of the box often).

So I want to propose that most of us are on the same side of the coin. We dont need to choose which is more important (learning or grades). When done correctly and in the right proportion, students can choose both.
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot
... I want to propose that most of us are on the same side of the coin. We dont need to choose which is more important (learning or grades). When done correctly and in the right proportion, students can choose both.
Yes.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Alumni - Former President,Treasurer
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Leadership

coreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I feel this needs to be said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea103
team 103 also emphasizes the need for school to come first. there is a minimum gpa to join the team and the mentors (who are teachers at the school) try to make sure that all members make at least honor role every semester.
Cybersonics (103) requires every student on the team to maintain Honor Status throughout the year. In order to join the team, students are interviewed by team officers and mentors after a submission of there current GPA (at least 3.0), application, and letter of recommendation. All report cards are reviewed by team advisor's, who are teachers at the school when handed out. Anyone that is unable to maintain their grades while participating in FIRST will forfeit their attendance at competitions and/or other team activities.

Corey
Former President, Treasurer, Webmaster, Awards, and Editor
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:41 PM
FRC #0522 (The Robo Wizards)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike D'Auria is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mike D'Auria

That is a good point about failing classes for FIRST. Our team has a minimum grade average in order to stay on. Not very high to exclude some kids but high enough that you have to go to class and do well. No failing grades either. It's very fair and keeps the students from cutting and going straight into robotics for the entire day.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Hoshua The 2nd
AKA: Joshua aka "Hosh"
FRC #0085 (Built On Brains B.O.B.)
Team Role: College Student

Jherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Jherbie53
Re: I feel this needs to be said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyk
Cybersonics (103) requires every student on the team to maintain Honor Status throughout the year. In order to join the team, students are interviewed by team officers and mentors after a submission of there current GPA (at least 3.0), application, and letter of recommendation. All report cards are reviewed by team advisor's, who are teachers at the school when handed out. Anyone that is unable to maintain their grades while participating in FIRST will forfeit their attendance at competitions and/or other team activities.

Corey
I hate to say this, but it sounds like you are excluding kids. You may not be, but it sounds like it. FIRST should be open to all students, no matter what their grades are at the beginning of the season. Not letting them go to a competition because of their grades is fine, but not letting anyone with a GPA less than 3.0 join doesn't sound right. Also it sounds like you are trying to perpare them for the real world by making them go thew a interview, thats a good thing. I may be interpreting this wrong and if I am please correct me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
Very little of what I use on a daily basis in my career are things I learned in my formal education, but when I was young I developed a passion for learning that has stood me in good stead during 23 years in the high-tech industry.
Thats so right, and I'm just in my third semester of college and I know that you've got to want to learn or be left behind. Also there are classes that you might not need in your job. If your like me and are pursuing a technical career, then you don't need "normal" english classes. Just ones that help your communication skill in writing.

Anyhoo, again I'm off the main subject and I must of lied earlier when I said that was my "final thoughts on this." I'm not going too lie again, because I just might think of something that I want to say, again.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Alumni - Former President,Treasurer
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Leadership

coreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of lightcoreyk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I hate to say this, but it sounds like you are excluding kids.
Unmatched dedication, effort, and hard work is required from each member in order to have a successful team and participate in FIRST. We do consider students with a GPA lower than 3.0, however we must make sure that they will be able to maintain their grades while being involved in the program. In reference to past experiences, if an individual is a C- student, they probably will not be able to provide the dedication and constant effort that all the other members are exhibiting. For clarification, if an individual does not have a 3.0 GPA, but demonstrates other high-qualities and is committed - we will not turn them away. To insure commitment, we put all members under a "6-week review period." For 6 weeks (starting from the beginning of the school year), advisor's and officers monitor each new student to see if they are doing well in school and participating in fundraisers. Each member is required to obtain three local contributors for sponsorship as well as selling tickets for our two annual fundraisers. Also let me add, that 103 has established a strong tutoring program that aids current members who are having trouble in a class(es) maintain honorable grades. We are not "excluding kids", but rather setting a standard for individuals to improve their grades and overall excellence in school to participate in FIRST.
Former President, Treasurer, Webmaster, Awards, and Editor
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
misses FIRST
AKA: HOT's first female operator
FRC #0067 (HOT- Heroes of Tomorrow)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1998
anna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to anna~marie

There are requirements for sportsplayers' grades... why should FIRST be any different? Yes, help is offered but if someone chooses to not take it, to not focus on education - a point of FIRST - then they must take what comes (ieff the team)

#45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2006, 01:15 AM
AKA: Guy Chriqui
FRC #0004 (Element)

Guy Chriqui is just really niceGuy Chriqui is just really niceGuy Chriqui is just really niceGuy Chriqui is just really niceGuy Chriqui is just really nice

Funny trend on our team regarding grades, the more trips the student goes on and the more involved the student is, their GPA is on average higher. I don't know if this is because they are the people that strive for the best or what but its just an odd relation to grades and first.
-guy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: