OCCRA
Go to Post The mission of FIRST is not just to promote science and technology, but to help every student involved to reach their full potential and achieve their dreams - Mike Ciance [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2001, 06:27 PM
The_C
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Robot wars

Jessica's post made me think of this. Have any of you guys seen Robot wars? It's a British version of BB, shown on public TV, but I kinda like it. I don't really like BB. They still destroy the robots but there's more strategy,variation, and substance to the British version. They don't just have 2 robots fighting, the have house robots, and an obstacle course single robots compete for the highest score. Just wondering if you guys knew what I was talking about.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2001, 11:56 PM
AKA: James Watts
None #0524 (Aplpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Amadkow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
I have heard about it but I have never watched an episode of it
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 12:05 AM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Well, Most of 'em are Brits and Aussies. They have one comp very simmilar to BB with "house robots" if you go into their area they come after you or if you get disabled they come after you. They also can go after a bot that has clearly won a match. That bot will still move on in the tourney but will be damaged. The other part is called pinball. Bots compete in a pinball type set up trying to get the most points before the house bots atack them. It's more entertaining to me than BB.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 12:15 AM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
is it on a cable channel? if it is, which one?

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 03:05 PM
The_C
no team

It was aired on 2 channels. One was public tv. the other was abc.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 03:10 PM
AKA: James Watts
None #0524 (Aplpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Amadkow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
hmm I will have to watch for it
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 06:39 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
I saw the first 3 Robot Wars, and I agree, it rocks. The thing is, the newer episodes are, like, 3 years old.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2001, 09:09 PM
The_C
no team

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieMcD
I saw the first 3 Robot Wars, and I agree, it rocks. The thing is, the newer episodes are, like, 3 years old.
S ok. There new to us. Do you like Robot wars better than BB? I do. There's more thought and strategy required for Robot wars. Especially pinball.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2001, 09:01 AM
Forward.
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Robot Wars is actually the thing that caused BB, from what I remember from that msnbc article about BB. There were 2 guys working to create Robot Wars in the UK, and then one guy split off & created BB...which is why there's so many legal issues and also why we're only seeing it on US tv now (when its been on for years, while other British imports sail on through).
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-05-2001, 04:47 PM
The_C
no team

In that case I tink the Brits got it right and the other guy lost it somewhere. BB is not better than robbot wars, imho.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2001, 10:13 AM
-
no team

EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
For the combat oriented people, BB is better. For the strategy oriented people, RW is better.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2001, 02:54 PM
no team (-)

BSMFIRST is on a distinguished road
RW-US was 1st

Robotic combat was started in '94 in the US by Marc Thorpe with the creation of Robot Wars. RW-UK started in '98 and RW-US '98 was canceled due to a very nasty company who sponsored it.
The competitors attempted to make their own event but were stopped by lawsuits just before the competition. RW-US attempted to start up again but they met strong (and well-funded) competition from the new event, BattleBots, which was/is run by two former competitors.
RW-US has been resurrected, the first season was filmed in London a few weeks ago by the same production company that does RW-UK (so it should be similar.) RW-US as well as RW-UK episodes will air on TNN starting next week.

For a more thorough history check out: http://www.robotcombat.com/history.html
Dan
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2001, 03:01 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph
darn

BSM beat me too it, i know the whole story too and have that same link, o well at least u guys know the story.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2001, 06:05 PM
-
no team

Finally, an up-to-date RW.

Say, does anyone know who won the fourth war?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: