OCCRA
Go to Post Frank is frank, and I like that. - rsisk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-21-2002, 02:00 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong
FYI: FIRST Robots at the NYC Hall of Science

FYI:
"FIRST Robots at the Hall of Science-
Robotics season is on at the Hall of Science! Now and through August 31st you can explore robots and robotics through great exhibits, hands on building, story telling, and in-depth conferences and discussions. You will have a chance to give a close look to the IBOT, the Segway Human Transporter, and
enjoy FIRST Robotics Exhibit at the Rotunda above the main entry hall, where you might find a picture of ... YOURSELF!!! Featured at the FIRST exhibit are also "Wilma," McKee high school's now legendary robot, Staten Island Technical Robotic Plague's 2002 creation, with its "baby bot," a real hit at FIRST 2002, and Brooklyn Tech Knights powerful 2002 bot.

The season opened May 8th, with a FIRST Robotics scrimmage at the Great Hall, and a FIRST Robotics and FIRST LEGO League demonstration on June 9th. MANY THANKS to all FIRST team students and teachers participating in these
"demos," including Evander Childs, William Taft, Stuyvesant, Samuel Gompers, Science Skills Center, George Westinghouse, Saunders and Washington Irving.
Five NYC middle school teams demonstrated their solutions to the FIRST Artic Impact junior challenge of 2001.

Below is a list of Hall of Science robotics activities for the weeks to come, including an interactive display and discussion by Research Director Dr. Polly Pook, and her colleagues from iRobot (MIT) on Saturday, June 22 & Sunday, June 23, 1 - 4 pm- A limited number of free invites for FIRST team
members are available. Please call Ana Martinez at Polytechic University 718-260-3383 for further information if you wish to attend any of these events.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
State-of-the Art Robots
Saturday, June 29 & Sunday, June 30, 2 - 5 pm

Bipedal Bugs, Galloping Ghosts and Gripping Geckos:
BioInspiration for Computer Animation, Adhesives, Artificial Muscles and Robots Presentation by Dr. Robert Full, director of Poly-PEDAL Laboratory, Department of Integrative Biology, University of California at Berkeley.

Saturday, June 29 & Sunday, June 30, Noon - 3 pm

Modular Reconfigurable Robots Dr. Mark Yim, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center Live demonstrations of robots built from many copies of a few simple module types
(similar to Lego bricks, or cells in mammals).

Monday, July 1, 11 am - 2 pm, & Tuesday, July 2, 1 - 4 pm

Robots on the Move Dennis Hearn, a teacher at Parkville High School in Baltimore, Maryland, and prize-winning students Damien Bretall, Wesley Harris, Leo Malyutin, Nate Jester
and Mark Horodowicz provide an interactive robot display.

Saturday, July 20 - Wednesday, July 24, 1 - 4 pm (Monday, July 22, 11 am - 2 pm)

From a Robot's Eye
View robots from Center for Robot-Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR). Dr. Robin R. Murphy from CRASAR and her
students present innovative robots that were used at the World Trade Center, as well as prototypes of advanced robots.
at the New York Hall of Science

ROBOTICS???
June 8 - September 1, 2002
ROBOTICS??? explores the relationship between humans and machines. With over 20 different interactive components,
this exhibition presents a unique look at what robots are and how they are used in manufacturing, research and everyday
life. Through hands-on experiences, visitors are able to compare the ways in which humans and robots sense, think
and act. Don't miss this exciting exhibition, at the Hall until
September 1, 2002."

EOM
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:23 PM
Always be shipping.
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Thats great news! Im going to NYC the week of july 4th sometime.

By the way, where is this exactly? How can I get to it (I know how to get into the city, mind you I'd be coming from the north, from CT)

Thanks

-Jessica B
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:35 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
I'm glad to see that the NYC Museum has followed the lead of the Boston Museum of science. Last year when I was on vacation I saw two FIRST robots in the Boston Museum!

Hmmm, maybe we could get a FIRST robot in the Smithsonian????

What about the FIRST museum that was talked about at Nationals?? Anyone hear anything else on that???

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
This will be littered with random trivia, I feel.

The New York Hall of Science was designed by Wallace K. Harrison for the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. As such, it's a pretty unique building, and it's not too difficult to find.

It's in Queens, though, not in Manhattan. It's on the former fairgrounds, which is now Flushing Meadow - Corona Park. It's near the Panorama of New York City, which is a consistently updated scale model of New York City's five boroughs. Neat stuff.

Anyway, coming from Connecticut and going straight to the Hall of Science, I think this is the best way to go. . . if there's someone reading from NYC, maybe they know better.

It's pretty easy - I'd just take the Whitestone Bridge to the Grand Central Parkway (East) . . . from there, there ought to be an exit that goes directly to that area, as it's also near Shea Stadium. I'm not sure of the number, but I know it's there

From their website, actually,

From Bronx/Westchester
Cross the Whitestone Bridge, bearing right at the end onto the Whitestone Expressway. Exit onto Grand Central Parkway eastbound. Take exit 10, bearing right to follow the Midtown Tunnel signage. Right on Corona Avenue. Right on 111th Street. Right at 49th Avenue into the New York Hall of Science entrance drive.

From Manhattan, it's the 7 train's 111th street stop. But, well, I guess my point is, it's not in Manhattan

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Volunteer for hire
no team

Aaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Elgin Clock
I'm glad to see that the NYC Museum has followed the lead of the Boston Museum of science. Last year when I was on vacation I saw two FIRST robots in the Boston Museum!

That was my team and the Nu-trons, that were at the Boston Museum of Science
Field Reset Extraordinaire
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 07:45 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Directions to NYC Hall of Science-

Re: Directions to NYC Hall of Science-
Mike from #810 gave pretty good directions for a Long Islander!
I couldn't have given better... but do note:

By car take any of the bridges into Queens, Triboro, Whitestone or T-Neck. The best approach is from the Grand Centeral Parkway South after LIE (Long Island Expressway) West/108th St Exit- sharp right off at exit or take T-neck bridge to LIE West and take 108 St. Exit- sharp right also.
Look for the Hall of Science signs. The entrance to the parking lot is 111th St. One day a week it is free admissiion after 3pm (I think).

If you are staying in the City #7 train to 111th St. or Shea Stadium stop will work.
or visit:

http://www.nyhallsci.org
New York Hall of Science
47-01 111th Street
Corona, NY 11368
Phone: (718)699-0005
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 09:21 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
hey, we technically do live on the same island you know .
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2002, 06:18 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02
Directions

I've lived on Staten Island all my life and have been to the Hall of Science once. It's pretty cool. and whats even cooler is that Legenday Robot "WILMA" is Team 522's Best. I should know since it's my team and she has yet to break on us. 2 years 0 - mechanical failures. "Dorothy" on the other hand. well lets not go there. She breaks other robots and at the same time breaks herself. A couple of robots from NYC Regionals know this.

Congradulations to anyone who graduated high school this week.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2002, 07:22 AM
AKA: Denise
FRC #0871 (West Islip Robotechs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
D.Stephenson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to D.Stephenson
i got to see this last sunday...i wish that the FIRST part had been a little bigger and most of the pictures were from the 2001 season although 2 of the robot were from 2002 and only one from 2001
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

A little disappointed too...

yea, they could have invited more robots from
the local area. I spoke with the Director of NYC Regional and mention that a video of the competition from the 2001 & 2002 NYC Regional would have been exciting for the viewers. But the Hall of Science could not come up with the
resources (a TV/monitor and VCR).

Maybe next year it will be better and they will organize a Hall of Science mini-FIRST competition.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: