OCCRA
Go to Post I GET that FIRST is about more than winning on the field. BUT... ...it is my experience that the great programs of the FIRST world almost always build on a foundation of competitive robots. Success on the field begets success in other realms. - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattK
The Confederate State of America

Last weekend, Bridgette (121) and I went to go see http://www.csathemovie.com/ . Its a mock BBC Documentary being played for the first time on "Confederate TV". If you are not easily offended I would highly recommend giving it a shot if its playing in a theater near you!

my myspace!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:07 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: The Confederate State of America

We all understand that you are into this kind of stuff, CD is not a place for this. CD is about robotics and engineering, not what could have happened if the Civil War was won by the wrong side.

I would like to see this closed. I am not offended by it just to see humorious it really is...

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm baaaaaaack.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Adam Richards Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kelly
We all understand that you are into this kind of stuff, CD is not a place for this. CD is about robotics and engineering, not what could have happened if the Civil War was won by the wrong side.

I would like to see this closed. I am not offended by it just to see humorious it really is...
And this is also in the Chit-Chat sub-forum. If you look in this sub-forum, you can see plenty of topics on Sports, American Idol, Potato Guns, and a plethora of other subjects.

This thread is no different and there is no reason for it to be removed.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:14 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is in Chit-Chat. This is, after all, home of several other popular threads which don't bear much relation to those subjects.

Besides, I'd be rather surprised if someone tried to turn this into something truly objectionable, by arguing in earnest for the imposition of the South's less noble principles.

Edit: And Mr. Richards beat me to it by mere seconds. The perils of proofreading, indeed.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

To play devil's advocate for a sec... its the off season, and its in chit-chat. There are also other posts not about FIRST/Engineering in Chit-Chat (See http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47706 ) and http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45398

This thread was not meant to cause any North V. South issues (I thought we figured all that out in 1865!). Its just an interesting movie, that takes an interesting look at history in an interesting way. FIRST is about people just as much as its about engineering.

Give the film a shot if you are interested in that kinda thing, if not thanks for reading. CD is so large I would imagine its close to impossible for someone not to find at least 1 thread that they find interesting.

my myspace!

Last edited by MattK : 05-31-2006 at 10:29 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see this as a great discussion area, but as a northerner transplanted and living in the old capital of the CSA, I can say without a doubt that this is opening a can of worms that is mind boggling.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
I like my hammer...
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Melissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Nute has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Melissa Nute

Chiefdelphi is not the place for politics, especially not this topic. I'm originally from the south and now live up here in New England. These discussions bring up all that is wrong in the world, especially since I've heard more than my fair share unfortunately.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
AKA: Grandma
FRC #0121 (Rhodewarriors)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2003
Bridgette is a jewel in the roughBridgette is a jewel in the roughBridgette is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Bridgette

I don't believe that Matt started this post to create controversy. I think he just wanted to make people aware of it. If this was about the new X-Men movie, there would be no debate about its validity on the forums.

During the 2004 election, there was a great deal of debate over whether political topics should be discussed on these forums. Decisions were made to eliminate political banners in signatures, for example. However, it was agreed that political discussion could happen in the chit-chat forum.

I saw CSA with Matt. While it can be considered offensive, it's more of a way to provoke thoughts about what can happen when governments make bad decisions.

As long as the discussion remains civil, I see no reason to close this thread. This is a discussion about a film, not necessarily the politics behind it. Worry about conflicts when they arise, not when there's merely a slight amount of potential for argument.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK
This thread was not meant to cause any North V. South issues (I thought we figured all that out in 1865!).
No, the only thing resolved in 1865 was the military option for change.

There are plenty of people around who are very willing to waste time arguing the political points that brought about the war. As if it actually might make a difference 140 years later.

Since I only attend two movies per year, I'm probably going to have to miss this one. I already saw "Akeelah and the Bee", and I'm certainly going to catch "Cars" by Pixar. I'm probably not in their demographic anyway, so I'm sure they won't miss my money.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Having given the web site the once-over, I've got to wonder: What's the fuss? The folks present a what-if scenario, one that we know can not happen (as we in the South have already received our butt-kicking some 150 years ago). Perhaps there is a message, although I'd reserve judgment on it until I saw it (and darnit, it premieres in Columbia two days after I leave town). How is this different than any other form of fiction presented in the medium of film?

There's an easy way to handle it--if you don't like it, don't watch it, berate it, or even talk about it. If the talk dies down, the thread sinks to the background of our collective minds and will most likely be forgotten.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Tap it.
no team

As a national award winning film maker (a documentarian more specifically) and as a professional video journalist (for a national news organization) , I appreciated this movie for the way it presented an argument or idea as opposed to the idea itself. Both Bridgette and Billfred present reasonable arguments and scenarios associated with this post. Now lets stop the clamor, and comment about the movie if we can.

-mk

my myspace!

Last edited by MattK : 05-31-2006 at 10:57 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Nobody puts Baby in the corner.
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONS)

Emily Pease is a name known to allEmily Pease is a name known to allEmily Pease is a name known to allEmily Pease is a name known to allEmily Pease is a name known to allEmily Pease is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Emily Pease

I saw this movie a couple of months ago because I thought it sounded like an interesting idea and because it had sold out several nights in a row at the highly respected Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston. Well, after I bought my ticket, I noticed that the reason it was sold out is because it was playing in the tiniest "theatre" imaginable! There were only about twelve seats in there, and I could see a trace of the "Janitor's Closet" sign still on the door! Plus, the twelve chairs they did have were mismatched; I was sitting in a little folding chair and my boyfriend was practically on one of those volleyball scorekeeper's chairs.

Complaints about the theatre aside, my thoughts on the movie:
I was really underwhelmed by CSA. I didn't think the movie was made very well, and I didn't really think it was that funny. I was prepared to be shocked, but I was mostly just bored. The "commercials" were definitely the best part.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

This is definately one of those movies, like The Da Vinci code, where the more people offended, or even just too closed-minded to see it, who complain about it, the better it will do in the Box Office. I personally havn't seen it yet, but I do want to.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2006, 12:04 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

A controversial movie with Spike Lee's name attached to it?? No.. Can't be!

Anyways, Matt, thanks for posting this. I would actually like to see this movie, as I see it being no different than the classic piece of literature, and cinema by George Orwell called 1984.

Both present what could be if the other side won, (good? bad? who's to really say?) and seem to be not only a study in human psychology, but the aftermath of war and people's mindsets once in that opposing world very different than ours that we know today.

Nice post Matt. And speaking of politics, but not necessarily how we think of politics, we can definitely pick out the conservatives from the liberals on CD with some of these posts lately. Always a good thing to know.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2006, 12:22 AM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

"Any book worth banning is a book worth reading."

Plain and simple. If someone tries to ban a book or censor a movie, I particularly want to see the movie or read the book to understand just what it is that they find offensive. An open-mind and a mutual understanding of what the problems are is the first step to getting over them and moving on. Ignorance may be bliss, but it sure as heck creates way too many wars and problems in this world.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: