OCCRA
Go to Post I wonder if it could be... Nah, that would just be way too... Never mind. . - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM
probably needs a new WAI
FRC #0075 (RoboRaiders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Rohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rohith Surampudi
Re: Extension Mechanism

I would suggest the usage of NiTinol Wire that can be found here Nitinol stands for NIckel TItanium Naval Ordnance Laboratory, it is a shape memory wire, that will resume its original shape if a charge is run through it. To choose the shape, all you need to do is bend the wire to the shape you want it to return to, then heat up the bent areas, or the entire thing. The only problem i could forsee, is that because of the heat that is produced by the resistance, NiTinol wire does note come with the rubber coating, therefore it is open voltage. Fairly thin pieces can be obtained in order to only require a small amount of power, but the thicker the wire is, the more power it will require. If you have any questions please email me, Good luck
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 02:56 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker
Does anyone have any old videos or pictures of tape measure deployment or coils of spring steel unrolling from the 2002 FIRST Competition? If this mechanism is legal for Acer's competition, we can all pick the best of these mechanisms and give Acer some good examples.

292 had a motorized tape measure by the end of the season... it was really neat.

111 had a reliable unrolling steel coil.

535 had a bigger version of a motorized coil... it was very impressive.

Andy
I do, but they're all on VHS
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
no team

acer_7 is on a distinguished road

Great ideas ! I hope u can supply me with more details concerning the tape issue.

To give u more idea about my competition, you can download the rules and see its video from the following site http://www.robofest.org.my/robocon2006/

I don't know if u've ever heard of ABU robocon contest before. It's an international competition for the member countries Asia Broadcasting Union (ABU). It includes Japan, China, Korea, Egypt, Vietnam, Malaysia....etc

Each year a country hosts the event but before the international event there's a local competition in each country to choose the team representing your country. The competition includes a manual robot and several automatic robots and there's a specific task to do. Ur limited within a specific weight and a specific dimension.

The following link http://gymkhana.iitb.ac.in/~umic/vid...robocon2k5.wmv
gives u an idea how the international competition was fierce last year. U'll see the fastest extensions u have ever seen in ur life.

By the way I forgot to introduce myself. I am a student at the Electronics and Communications department, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University. Glad to meet u all
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a great video. Man, and I thought FRC was hard. And look how lightweight those robots are - they pick them up with one hand!

I'm concerned about safety with humans on the field with the robots though. That looked very dangerous to me. Safety is one thing FIRST has done very well.

How long do you get to build these things anyway?
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
probably needs a new WAI
FRC #0075 (RoboRaiders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Rohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rohith Surampudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer_7
gives u an idea how the international competition was fierce last year. U'll see the fastest extensions u have ever seen in ur life.

By the way I forgot to introduce myself. I am a student at the Electronics and Communications department, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University. Glad to meet u all

Heh, i see dumper bots
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great ideas ! I hope u can supply me with more details concerning the tape issue.

To give u more idea about my competition, you can download the rules and see its video from the following site http://www.robofest.org.my/robocon2006/

I don't know if u've ever heard of ABU robocon contest before. It's an international competition for the member countries Asia Broadcasting Union (ABU). It includes Japan, China, Korea, Egypt, Vietnam, Malaysia....etc

Each year a country hosts the event but before the international event there's a local competition in each country to choose the team representing your country. The competition includes a manual robot and several automatic robots and there's a specific task to do. Ur limited within a specific weight and a specific dimension.

Holy smokes! Now THAT looks like fun!

I like the combination of autonomous-only and human-operated robots running at the same time. (It seems like we could do something similar with Vex, but on a smaller scale.)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... To give u more idea about my competition, you can download the rules and see its video from the following site http://www.robofest.org.my/robocon2006/

I read the rules and FAQ for ABU Robocon. It seems like an exciting competition. You and your team at Cairo University will probably be very busy until the first week of July, preparing for your national competition. Good luck with that.

Will the winner of your national competition get to represent Egypt at the September event in Kuala Lumpur? How many teams will be competing in your national event?
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:03 AM
no team

Actually, safety is very important in this competition. Dangerous robots aren't allowed to join the contest. There's also a robot test before the competition to make sure of safety and ensure restrictions as well.

I am in the middle of my final exams now. I am supposed to finish them on the 17th of July then I will work through 2 weeks to get ready for our competition from 2-6 July. That's why I am trying to look up for as many ideas as I can to try through this period of time. So, please if u gotta anymore ideas i will be glad to hear them.

There are about 67 teams joining the national competition this year. The winner will represent Egypt in Kuala Lumpur.

After some of u have seen the video, u've seen what I mean. I don't need a stiff extension, just a one that blocks the target for the opponent robot. I don't need my extension mechanism to be that fast. China has used pneumatic mechanism with bamboo fishing rods while Japan has used springs.

Check this link http://www.tpa.or.th/robot/tparobot/...e/DSC_0374.jpg
This if from this year's Thailand competition

I have the following thoughts:
======================
- A fishing rod with a motor and a wire (or tape) [but I just need to understand how to install it]
- Something like that picture (see the inclined extension). It consists of successive layers beside each other.

What do u think ? (especially that my time is limited after my exams, I have only 2 weeks beside the work in the other robots)
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:55 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed in the rules for ABU Robocon that the machines must be handmade.

Does "handmade" mean you are not allowed to used automated processes or tools to fabricate components of the machine? What about power tools? Do you have to fabricate all the parts of your machine by hand? And are there any restrictions on what purchased parts you can use or how much you can spend on parts?
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2006, 12:38 PM
no team

'handmade' means that u don't buy a complete robot arm for example. We are allowed to use tools to build our robot. Actually most of the teams go to workshops for cutting and welding aluminium for example. U sometimes need blacksmith work; like attaching the motor to ur wheels. U can buy simple ready things but not whole made things.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

That seems very reasonable. Back in the early years of our competition, FIRST had fairly simple rules. More recently, the rules have generally become more complex each year. For several years now we have had increasingly intricate rules aimed at keeping our robots "handmade". These take the form of limits on total cost of purchased materials and components, limits on the cost of individual components, and a rather lawyerly definition of what is a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) component. You can find the rules governing robot construction for 2006 FIRST robotics competition here.

I am really drawn to the idea of replacing a large portion of our robot rules with the simpler requirement that the robot must be handmade.
since 2003

#27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM
no team

I don't know about FIRST actually. I took a quick look at the rules and found that u use kits for making robots. That's totally opposing to us, I can't remember anything we've bought ready-made till now. We even search the surplus markets for special types of nuts to combine aluminium sheets together so that they won't separate.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
I took a quick look at the rules and found that u use kits for making robots.
Don't misunderstand the meaning of "Kit of Parts". It's not a robot kit. It's essentially a bin of donated motors, pneumatic components, gears, connectors, chains, wheels, cheap joysticks, software, sealed lead-acid batteries, etc.

There are a few more high-level things in the KoP: the equivalent of an erector set for making a simple chassis if you want to, reducing gearboxes (some assembly required)...and the full programmable control system with RF communication. But it's not a "robot kit" that teams "put together" to make robots.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2006, 06:03 AM
no team

Hey guys,
Does anyone one knows how does the car antenna extend (from the mechanical and electrical sides)?
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2006, 07:39 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey guys,
Does anyone one knows how does the car antenna extend (from the mechanical and electrical sides)?
On most vehicles, its a 12 V DC motor with a pulley and a stiff cable that's pushed upward or pulled downward.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: