OCCRA
Go to Post I think AndyMark just sold out of rabbits feet. - BRAVESaj25bd8 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization > Fundraising
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
no team

alanelf can only hope to improve
how to write a good proposal and sponsorship letter for a event

hi i'm new here and i need some help, can anyone share with me how to write a good proposal and sponsorship letter for a event.... i organizing a charity battle of band for fundraising...i hope that you all can help me up on this
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to write a good proposal and sponsorship letter for a event

Though there are probably white papers about this, let me give you a few suggestions offhand:

1) Learn the format for an actual business letter. You'd be surprised how few people know that kind of thing, and appearance can make a big different. Having some kind of team letterhead is very helpful, even if it's just a logo printed on top of a page.

2) Have details of your event in the letter, and invite your sponsors to attend! Make sure they know that you are an active team, tell them about your past competitions/events, and if you are a rookie, tell them about your plans for the future.

4) Proposal vs Sponsorship...
Now, am I correct in interpreting that these are two different things? Are you proposing the event to your team leaders, and separately asking community organizations for sponsorship? Be sure to get team leader permission first.

Other than that, just get it set, and maybe ask your parents or family friends who have experience with business letters if this letter is something they would enjoy recieving and would feel compelled to respond to either with sponsorship or with positive vibes. Welcome criticism.

Team 461 for life!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
probably needs a new WAI
FRC #0075 (RoboRaiders)

Rookie Year: 2006
Rohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rohith Surampudi

yep, this is a rather large task, but truly rewarding.
Edit:wow i cant read

Here are some things that you should include

*Who are you, and what are you trying to do
*why do you need money
*what is it for
*why should they sponsor you(not like "we need money", but along the lines of "we help spread science and technology across the nation so we can change the world of tomorrow, our sponsors help us change the world." or something like that"
then a brief summary of your previous statements

I can provide you with a sample if you like

Last edited by Rohith Surampudi : 06-12-2006 at 07:38 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

check out www.firstnemo.org and go to the resources section.
"Creating a Killer Team Packet" done by Jess Boucher.
Also "25 ways sponsors can help your team."
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
i heart infrared
AKA: Neil Parikh
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
nparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nparikh Send a message via MSN to nparikh Send a message via Skype™ to nparikh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohith Surampudi

*why do you need money
*what is it for
*why should they sponsor you(not like "we need money", but along the lines of "we help spread science and technology across the nation so we can change the world of tomorrow, our sponsors help us change the world." or something like that"

I agree most with that bolded one. A huge part of our sponsorship brochure is dedicated to what a company would get out of sponsoring us...[well besides helping fund an amazing team, project, and group of kids ]. But regardless, companies want to hear what they'll get out of it...free publicity? helping a bunch of kids? tax breaks?
There's lots of cool stuff you can talk about.

Team 25 Alumnus
Attending: NJ Regional, Boston Regional, the Championship Event
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2006, 01:47 AM
no team

alanelf can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohith Surampudi

*why do you need money
*what is it for

I can provide you with a sample if you like

i will be appreciate it you could share me some sample...this si my email alanyds@gmail.com do you have msn?? if got add me alan_stylestudio@hotmail.com
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:04 AM
probably needs a new WAI
FRC #0075 (RoboRaiders)

Rookie Year: 2006
Rohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rohith Surampudi

ok its sent, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or IM me,

Anyone else want a copy?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Free Agent
AKA: Jeff Martinez
no team

Martinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to behold

I've attached the Program Proposal I developed for Lockheed Martin here in the CD White Pages. They wanted alot of information, so it likely far more in depth than you will need but would be a good place to start.
Former 2053 Tigertronics Mentor and Engineer
Former Chuck 84 Mentor and Engineer
Former Lockheed Martin, VH-71 Program Employee.
Let us never rest till every student has FIRST Rate Opportunities!
Program Proposal: FRC
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2009, 07:49 AM
AKA: Fran
FRC #0369
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2009
thumbalina531 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this and would love to have some sample letters to see what has been used by some of you.
Thanks
Fran
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Check out the "Creating a Killer Team Packet" white paper in the NEMO (Non-Engineering Mentor Organization) resources section: http://www.firstnemo.org/resources.htm
It's a how-to guide for creating a packet about your team to give to potential sponsors.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:30 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

In addition to the other resources mentioned above...

Here is a sample that FRC2493 Team Robokong used as a proposal to Hansen's Beverage Company.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2308

We learned a lot from the resources on FRC1511 Rolling Thunder's web site which can be found here: http://penfieldrobotics.com/resources/rookies.php
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Controls Engineer
AKA: chakorules
None #1501 (Team THRUST)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Chris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris_Elston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Elston

We turn it around a bit and make it sound like they need US. For example:

For our COLD CALLS......not if we are trying to build a relationship with a sponsor.

Dear Potential Sponsor,

Today I am writing to you about an investment opportunity that is currently available with the Huntington County 4H FIRST Robotics Team. Most organizations that come to you with requests like this simply ask for a donation. With the 4H Robotics team, it's more than a donation, because it really is an investment in the future of both the 4H FIRST Robotics team, and your organization. As a sponsor, you will have the unique opportunity to closely align your products, services and your organization with the young minds of future Engineers, Managers, Scientists, Health and Safety Professionals, and more. Through an investment in the 4H Robotics team you really get a chance to make a first impression with the hard working, dedicated and creative young individuals that will soon become the future workforce of Indiana and specifically here in Huntington.

and so on ....

Favorite CD quote:
"That can't be their 'bot. not nearly enough (if any) rivets to be a 1501 machine." ~RogerR: Team #1369
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM
AKA: Brandon Dean
no team (TBA)

Boydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant futureBoydean has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Boydean Send a message via Skype™ to Boydean

One of the best pieces of advise we were given about this is to put down how much you are asking of them. It might seem cheap at first, but once explained to us it really made since. Most of the time the people who make decisions of who to give money to don't want to come up with a number(nor do they have the time to), its there plain and simple.

An example that we use is "We are asking of (so&so) to make a contribution of $000 or more. Please make checks payable to (so&so)."

Just two lines that they can eat on. We also found that putting who to write the check to in bold helps to cut down questions quite a bit.

And then from there go into what the funds will help with. Once we added this to our letter we found a great deal of positive response back.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2009, 02:34 PM
VirginiaFIRST
FRC #1058 (the PVC Pirates)

ICntIHaveRbtics is on a distinguished road

It's already been kind of pointed out already, but just to reiterate...

Companies love it when you make connections to their missions, values, etc. If you can find something in one of their documents, on their home page, etc. depicting their values or mission and relate it to something with FIRST, then it's very helpful!

For example, for Johnson Controls (an HVAC company that my dad works for), I connected their slogan "Ingenuity Welcome" to the fact that FIRST inspires and fosters ingenuity. Using supporting information about our team and FIRST, I approached them with that pitch.

VirginiaFIRST Social Media and Alumni Coordinator
Former FIRSTPlace Administrative Assistant @ FIRST HQ
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of the Arts Class of 2013 - BFA Graphic Design & Certificate in Product Innovation
[2004-2006]: FLL student [2006-2010]: FRC 1058 / FIRST HQ [2010+]: VirginiaFIRST
2010 Granite State Regional Winners with teams 1073 and 1519
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)
Team Role: Engineer

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Elston View Post
We turn it around a bit and make it sound like they need US. For example:

For our COLD CALLS......not if we are trying to build a relationship with a sponsor.

Dear Potential Sponsor,

Today I am writing to you about an investment opportunity that is currently available with the Huntington County 4H FIRST Robotics Team. Most organizations that come to you with requests like this simply ask for a donation. With the 4H Robotics team, it's more than a donation, because it really is an investment in the future of both the 4H FIRST Robotics team, and your organization. As a sponsor, you will have the unique opportunity to closely align your products, services and your organization with the young minds of future Engineers, Managers, Scientists, Health and Safety Professionals, and more. Through an investment in the 4H Robotics team you really get a chance to make a first impression with the hard working, dedicated and creative young individuals that will soon become the future workforce of Indiana and specifically here in Huntington.

and so on ....
Hmmmm .... I might have to steal part of this
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: