OCCRA
Go to Post I am a geek. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Software Engineer
AKA: Jake Poznanski
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
jakep has a spectacular aura aboutjakep has a spectacular aura about
Bypass Disable Switch

We are making a robot over the summer using the 2004 RC. However, this is a fully automous robot, and doesn't need to be hooked up via radio (but it can be). We want to be able to let the robot run, with full control of the motors without any OI turned on or anything. However, if you do decide to turn on the OI, the robot should still accept input from it.

My question: Is there anyway to let the RC output to the motors even without an OI plugged in?

Thanks!

Microsoft MVP, 2005 - Windows - SPOT Technologies
http://www.spotdev.net
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:07 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass
Re: Bypass Disable Switch

If you set the team number to 0, I believe the RC runs entirely autonomous, I don't have access to confirm this. However I also believe that prevents you from establishing a successful radio link, so this might not help you at all.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Team 11 Programming Captain
AKA: Max T
FRC #0011 (MORT)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
bear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to bear24rw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Krass
If you set the team number to 0, I believe the RC runs entirely autonomous, I don't have access to confirm this. However I also believe that prevents you from establishing a successful radio link, so this might not help you at all.
I thought it was the last bit down on the dip switch
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 06:34 PM

Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear24rw
I thought it was the last bit down on the dip switch
If by last bit down you mean the left most, that's the MSB (Most Significant Bit) and that was used to unlock extra radio channels on pre-2005 controllers I think.

EDIT: The above statement needs to be amended, I left it there for clarity. Pre-2005 controllers needed a dongle to switch radio channels, as well as the team number change, newer ones only need the team number change. I forgot about the dongle but I remember something about newer controllers was less complicated.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)

Last edited by Matt Krass : 07-17-2006 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Correcting myself.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 09:30 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

I wasn't sure there was a way to enable this type of operation, short of an IFI code change. I thought I read somewhere that the code required an OI be communicating with the RC for any robot operation to take place, so that you can't easily be killed right as you turn on the robot. Kind of like an out of range disable with RC.

Or maybe not...

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 09:38 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

there is no auton mode switch on the robot controller. You must have the OI on for the RC to operate

think about this for a minute: if the OI is not on then how in the world would the RC know what the switches on the OI are set to?!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Dillon
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: College Student

CmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud ofCmptrGk has much to be proud of

if you happen to have an extra vex controller and the ablility to make cable converters, the vex controller can function without its OI. it even has a #define line in its code to enable only auton mode. i also belive that the edubot controller can function without and OI (this wouldnt need a cable conversion).

"Great autonomous mode Dillon."," It hasn't been written yet"
after an Archimedes match

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank Send a message via Skype™ to Pat Fairbank

The robot controller CAN function without the operator interface. To enable this, the team number dipswitch on the OI must be set to 0, then the OI must be tethered to the RC to download the team number setting to it. Once the tether is disconnected and the RC is reset, the autonomous loop will execute forever and the RC will ignore any radio signals, until the team number is changed back to a non-zero value using the tether method.

However, it would be impossible to switch back and forth between OI and non-OI mode on the fly - the team number must be changed each time with the tether cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Krass
If by last bit down you mean the left most, that's the MSB (Most Significant Bit) and that was used to unlock extra radio channels on pre-2005 controllers I think.
Just to clarify, setting the MSB enables the extra radio channels on the 2005 and later controllers, while the pre-2005 controllers required you to ground a specific pin on the Competition port in order to do so.
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Fairbank
Just to clarify, setting the MSB enables the extra radio channels on the 2005 and later controllers, while the pre-2005 controllers required you to ground a specific pin on the Competition port in order to do so.
You're right, I already edited my previous post, but thanks for catching my slip anyway.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

PBasic type educontrollers can also be run autonomously, by setting the team number to 0 and cycling power. If there is a user defined auto mode program, it will execute until power is turned off.

Another option might be to keep the OI on the robot, connected by a tether and enable automode with a dongle switch. Add a short pause at the start of the program to allow you to flip the switch and extract you're hand before it takes off. This would save you from having to set the team number back and forth, and also allow you a quick and easy way to put the robot under manual control. Just connect a joystick and disable automode and away you go. No radio, external power supply and the only range limit is the length of the joystick cable.

I would be a little leery about a large scale robot running in autonomous mode with out any remote way of turning it off though. But I am not the computer trusting sort...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 08:58 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A.
I would be a little leery about a large scale robot running in autonomous mode with out any remote way of turning it off though. But I am not the computer trusting sort...
I agree - even if the auton code is simple and the bot moves around slowly - thats how it operates when all on-board systems are operating within normal parameters.

what happens if a wire on a sensor breaks, or a connection to one motor fails - or a feedback sensor goes open loop?

On every piece of commercial robotic equipment, that is used in proximity with humans, there is a big red mushroom shaped KILL button where you can get to it without having to go near the robot.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
FRC #0540 (Screaming Eagles)

Rob2713g has a spectacular aura aboutRob2713g has a spectacular aura aboutRob2713g has a spectacular aura about

Note: I'm pretty new to programming and haven't tried this yet. While working on a different project I was told to use interrupts. So you could run autonomous until joystick pressed then jump to regular joystick code. Anyone know if this is possible?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
3 Fs..... Fun Friends FIRST!!
AKA: Imad
FRC #0612
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant future

Lets not make it much complicated
Our team build a robot that completely runs on autonomous and uses sensors to interface with the environment around it.
heres a simple easy solution

If you set the operator interface to team 0, then tether it to the robot, it forces the robot into permanent autonomous mode. In this mode it does not look for the operator interface.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMadi
Lets not make it much complicated...
Complicaitons: what your team will experience if you dont have a kill switch! :^)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
Complicaitons: what your team will experience if you dont have a kill switch! :^)
Ken actually I think the word is Lacerations

Setting it to 0 would work, but be sure to build in some way to disable it on the fly if necessary. Locally tethering the OI is still an option as you can make a competition port dongle that wires up to a toggle switch between tele-op and auton, with a big red disable button right on top of the robot.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: