Go to Post "I have cut this piece 4 times and it is still too short!" - Betty_Krocker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Now comes without cockiness.
AKA: Corn Dog
FRC #0125
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Corey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Corey Balint
Best Alliance in the Alliance Era of FIRST

I was having a discussion with Tom today and we started talking about former alliances in FIRST competitions. We talked about alliances from regional events and of course, Nationals/Championships. We discussed how certain alliances completely dominated the competition by the skill they had working together, there pure brute strength, the strategy, and of course, a complete offensive overload. We thought of many combinations that we have seen in the years we have participated in FIRST. However, we wanted to know what you think first.

You can discuss regional alliances, Championship alliances, and Offseason alliances too. Make sure to give your reasoning and of course, if you have video..please do post.
Don't be scared to post something that is more than "dave is great" "here's my caption contest entry" and "overdrive is the best thing ever". Say something interesting. Say something that will make others think. Create discussion.
If you do say something that isn't just for fun or praising something, which hopefully you do, just be prepared to back up what you said.

Remember: GP is Gracious Professionalism, not Glorifiying Plesantries. Saying something negative does not mean you are evil. It could help someone out a lot.

Anything that I post is an opinion from my own mind. Some may agree with it, others may not. However do not negatively associate anyone else, including any team I work with, with my opinion.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Alliance in the Alliance Era of FIRST

I'd have to put both of the alliances in this match at IRI 2006 somewhere near the top.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 05:38 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
AKA: K Adams
FRC #0306 (CRT(Corry Robotics Team))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Kyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud ofKyle A has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kyle A Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle A

Well I have to say that I think our alliance in philliadelphia was one of the best. Team 291 CIA, Team 177 The BobCats, And Team 306 CRT. Our team was picked for our brute Force. We worked well with the other to teams, we would dump any load of balls we had then go off on defence. We took out at least one bot in each match we played. But when we got into trouble the other robots were there to help, like in the semi finals we flipped going after Moe, and 177 was right there to stop moe. they also played defence in other matches along with shooting 3 pointers. In the finals we were blocking chuck and 291 came in beside us and helpped keep them in. CIA also scored like mad, during matches, especally when 177 shooter broke. They also had a very concistant Auto mode.
I believe that we all worked very well together, and in the end it turned out right. We could not have won with any other alliance and I am glad that we were choosen to jion that alliance in the end.

Here are some of the matches.
http://soap.circuitrunners.com/2006/...y/pa_qf4m1.wmv
http://soap.circuitrunners.com/2006/...y/pa_qf4m2.wmv
http://soap.circuitrunners.com/2006/...y/pa_sf2m1.wmv
http://soap.circuitrunners.com/2006/...lly/pa_fm1.wmv
http://soap.circuitrunners.com/2006/...lly/pa_fm3.wmv

Last edited by Kyle A : 08-31-2006 at 08:24 PM. Reason: putting video in
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
MikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond repute

This goes back to 2004 and 2005

we almost had back to back regional wins

i am going to miss those times. at this time i want to thank 237 and 56 for some great times.
Team 1403 (2011- )- Mentor
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

71 and company, 2001. How can you possibly argue with 710 points? (I'm going regular season only, a 3 hundred something which had the same function as 71 managed to beat them out at IRI, I think... Correct me if I'm wrong Karthik/JVN/Baker/However was around back then.)

For a very close second, team 47 and 111 with the TKats in 2000 at Midwest. Judging by what I've heard of that era, it must have been quite a sight.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Balint
I was having a discussion with Tom today and we started talking about....
I'm guessing a lot of threads by either Corey or Tom will be started this way seeing as they are room mates now..

Brandon.. I think we need another sub forum.
Car Talk on NPR has Click and Clack, we have Cor Cor and Tom Tom.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so i have a few good alliances to point out.

The 2003 Galileo Division Champions: Teams 341, 236, and 175.

The 2004 Newton Division Champions: Teams 1126, 67, and 340 (They also won Buckeye that year)

The 2002 National Champions: Teams 173, 71, and 66

These would be the best alliances I have ever seen for numerous reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis
71 and company, 2001. How can you possibly argue with 710 points? (I'm going regular season only, a 3 hundred something which had the same function as 71 managed to beat them out at IRI, I think... Correct me if I'm wrong Karthik/JVN/Baker/However was around back then.)
Yup who would think of 2001 and not think of team 71.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Achievement through enthusiasm
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yup, it was 308.

Quote:
For a very close second, team 47 and 111 with the TKats in 2000 at Midwest. Judging by what I've heard of that era, it must have been quite a sight.
Don't forget the 3rd team on that alliance, Team 45.

Some other alliances of note who haven't been mentioned:
1999 - Teams 27 & 71 -- They won two regionals together and were semifinalists (equivalent to a division winner) at the championship.
2001 - Teams 33, 254, 111, 349(who grew into Team 469) & 144 (who grew into Team 1038) -- A real who's who of FIRST history, were only be defeated by the mighty Team 71 at the Championship
2003 - Teams 111, 469, 65 -- Championship event winners in dominant fashion
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
"What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik
Don't forget the 3rd team on that alliance, Team 45.
I think you missed the "TKats" that was kinda snuck in after 47 and 111.
Who knew silence could be so loud?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Old
AKA: Jack Nowakowski
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
JackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JackN Send a message via Skype™ to JackN

OK here is my top 10 that I can think of,

1. Winning Alliance 2003 Championship-OK this is going to sound weird but I think this was the greatest assembly of teams ever in one alliance. It had two of the top five teams in FIRST history (469 and 111) and another great team (65).
2. Finalist alliance WMR 2005-This is more obscure but look at how silly this alliance is, number 3 seed on Archimedes (27), the number 2nd pick on Curie (33), and the number 1 seed on Archimedes (245).
3. Any Triplet alliance 2006-Some very good alliances, especially the GLR one with 67. That is a pretty cool alliance. Really what else is there to say.
4. Winning Alliance WIS 2006-111 and 1625 were a dominating combo. They steamrolled everyone in their path. 1816 did an excellent defensive job.
5. Winning Alliance WMR 2006- Another one of those super alliances, all three teams (70,451,503) in this alliance finished in the top 8 on Curie this year.
6.Finalist Alliance 2003 Championship 343,25,494 another great collection of teams
7.Winning Alliance 2005 Championship 330,67,503-Scored most points that season.
8.Tie Every alliance at 2006 IRI, Winning Alliance 2006 Championship,Finalist Alliance 2006 Championship-All the IRI alliances would have had a shot to have won the championship, Those other two are both great as well.
Honorable Mention-1999 MWR Champions(Excluded because of being too good), #4 Newton alliance 2006 (71,254, and 753) (Another unbelievable collection of teams), Walled Lake Monster 2001 IRI Winning Alliance (308, 111 and others Karthik help please )
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Ridiculously proud of MN First
AKA: Nat Thompson
FRC #1816 (The Green Machine)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
BBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to BBnum3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derboy
4. Winning Alliance WIS 2006-111 and 1625 were a dominating combo. They steamrolled everyone in their path. 1816 did an excellent defensive job.
Like you pointed out in other alliances, this alliance did extremely well at the Championship. 1625 was the #1 seed in Galileo, 111 was the #8 seed and number one pick in Newton, and we were the #6 seed in Archimedes.

It's hard for me to say what the best alliance ever was, since I've only been around FIRST for less than a year, but both alliances from that unbelievable IRI match were great, and the 2006 winner of Newton was probably the most balanced alliance I've ever seen.

2008 MN Regional Chairman's Award
2007 Newton Division Finalists (Thanks so much 1124 and 1592)
2007 WI Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award and Semi-Finalists (Thanks 1732 and 2129)
2006 WI Regional Winners (Thanks 1625 and 111)
2006 Archimedes Division 6th Seed, Highest Rookie Seed, and Quarterfinalists (Thanks 343 and 60)

The Green Machine How to make a zip-tie belt

St. Olaf College Class of 2011
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

You can't really rank alliances from year to year (cus of different games), so here's a bunch of amazing alliances that I know of.
2000, MWR. 111, 47, 45

2001, Nats 71, 294, 125, 365, 279
While I didn't see most of that alliance in person, I did see 365 win Philly that year. And to think that a bot that good could be the 4th team on that alliance....

2003, CMP. 111, 469, 65

2006, CMP. 25, 968, 195
Even though they didn't win the Championship, through-out the event they functioned better than any alliance I have witnessed. Between the "A-Bomb", 968 standing 195 back up, 25 preventing 968 from tipping over, sacrificing autonomous to beat the Galileo alliance, and all the other amazing strategies/plays, they impressed me a way no other alliance ever had....until IRI

2006, IRI. 71, 1625, 910
Teams they beat to win IRI included, 494, 25, 1114, 33, 217, and 233 (8 Regional Champs in 2006 between those 6 teams). 137-133. They executed well, and they adapted even better.

2004, VCU. 33, 977, 388
They pushed the limits of their machines so far it was amazing. In F3, 33, which wasn't meant to climb up the stairs, did so, to help secure the bar for 977, giving their alliance the Regional Championship.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

They didn't even make it out of the QF's at nationals in 2004 due to freakishly horrible luck, but 60, 33, and 1241 was one scary alliance. As soon as alliance pairings were announced, most people practically expected them to win it all.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
They didn't even make it out of the QF's at nationals in 2004 due to freakishly horrible luck, but 60, 33, and 1241 was one scary alliance. As soon as alliance pairings were announced, most people practically expected them to win it all.
After seeing 33 in person (and losing to them, do to our own bit of bad luck ) in VCU, I always wondered what happened to them at Championship, and why they didn't even make Einstein. Anyone care to explain what happened?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery
After seeing 33 in person (and losing to them, do to our own bit of bad luck ) in VCU, I always wondered what happened to them at Championship, and why they didn't even make Einstein. Anyone care to explain what happened?
Or even better than explain what happened. Post a video.

Like us on Facebook!
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of ALL our robots!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: