Go to Post As much as you may want the ChiefDelphi community to see your argument, we may not want to see yours. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
AKA: Steve Farley
FRC #0808 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Safarley2901 has a spectacular aura aboutSafarley2901 has a spectacular aura aboutSafarley2901 has a spectacular aura about
Team 808 not participating in 2007

Hey guys, I'm Sorry to say that team 808 will not be participating in FIRST this year.

We really hope that it is only this year, but it seems that our team is falling apart. Two years ago our team had a lot of members and was spirited. It seems like everything that we have worked for has dissapated.

Our team has gone down to about 6 members who actively participate. We lost three mentors, this year.

Okay enough with me babbling, its not all that important to you guys I'm sure

We Hope to see you all next year.

-Steven A. Farley
-Danny Lin
-Chris Kuhanek
-Jeff Kidwell
-Andrew Wolfe
-Jacob Oblander
-Nathan Prioli
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Is winter over yet?
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hey Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safarley2901
its not all that important to you guys I'm sure
Umm, wrong. We DO care and it IS important. Well, at least to ME it's important. I can't speak for others.

If there's no money, well, there's not a lot that can be done. But, if the issue is one of lack of interest by students and/or mentors, the cure is to recruit. Perhaps you've done that already, perhaps we're past the point of saving it and we can just give up - for now.

But, if there's anything we (and now I speak for everyone) can do to help - remember I'm in New Jersey - just say it and we'll do the best we can to help.

Don

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 06:36 PM
AKA: Polina Danilyuk
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)

Po-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud ofPo-ser has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Po-ser

I care! I care a lot! FIRST is the greatest part of being in high school for me, and I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. You know, it's really not all that late in the year. There are still plenty of things that you can do to revive your team (namely, recruiting. You could also do several things to try to attract mentors). There's no reason why you should give up now! PM me or email me (pdanilyuk@gmail.com). If I or my team can help your team in any way, whether it's in marketing strategy or with funding or even in engineering, we'll certainly do our best. Don't give up!

2003 - NYC Regional winner
2005 - NYC Regional Woodie Flowers Award
NYC Regional Chairman's Award
Championship Galileo Division semifinalist
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Copioli is the man!!!
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1997
slickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to slickguy2007

I would suggest that you latch onto a team in your surrounding area for this year just so you can "keep the dream alive". If you do this, at least it won't be as hard getting started back up and you can still keep existing members involved in FIRST. Just a suggestion.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickguy2007
I would suggest that you latch onto a team in your surrounding area for this year just so you can "keep the dream alive". If you do this, at least it won't be as hard getting started back up and you can still keep existing members involved in FIRST. Just a suggestion.
This is what happened with team 73 Edision Tech. They had lost thier sponsorhip and issolved and some of the students were taken in by team 1511 Rolling Thunder. They are now comming back again this year.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Pocket Full of Tools
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Gabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond reputeGabe has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone cares! You should not give up, not with all of the time you have before kickoff.

Does your team really have to be composed only of high school students? Invite some middle school students into your team, so that they get addicted to FIRST. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts... young people of any kind. If a nearby middle school has a Lego team, get some of them tinkering with the robot. Their parents will likely want to help out the team if they see their son/daughter participating in a high school competition, and they will most graciously want to help you.

For rapid fund raising ideas, see the following thread:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46224

Ask your high school of you can have a lunchtime rally, where you show off previous year's robots and talk about what FIRST is about. You will hook a couple of students this way for the 2007 competition, and everyone will feel a lot better about the team. Getting people interested in your team is not something to be found at the end of some mysterious path. You need to show other people why they should be interested in this high school robotics team. You know if they are interested when they offer to help out the team.
Don't give up!

Finally, take a moment to remember your own experiences about robotics. Look through old robotics pictures, and think about kickoff, which is still a long time away. Go on the Internet and watch competition videos. Get yourself mentally ready for the kickoff, which I should mention is not until January. You have time!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Webmaster - delphielite.com
AKA: Frank
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2001
FRANK(WGH) will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FRANK(WGH)
Re: Team 808 not participating in 2007

Feel free to contact Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
www.delphielite.com frank.bosak@gmail.com
I'm pretty sure that we could work something out. Maybe the students could come help out on weekends. I'd hate to see your team completley dissolve. I know that alot of our members have created great friendships with your team.
If there is anything that we can do to help out, please let me know.

We also have some collegiate mentors that might be willing to help out on weekends or maybe even weekday if you plan on building up the team in alliance before the season start. Just a thought.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Formerly robotcanuck1676
AKA: Graham Donaldson
FRC #1676 (The Pascack Pi-oneers)

Rookie Year: 2006
Graham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant future

All the others above me have pretty much said everything that can be said, so I'll second all of them... just remember that when it comes to losing a FIRST team, everyone (I hope) is disappointed, and wants to help out however they can.

Best Wishes,

The Canuck

2008 NJ Regional, 2009 Palmetto Regional: Chairman's Award Winners
2010 NJ Regional Champions (w/ 25 and 3059), 2010 VA Regional Champions (w/ 1086 & 1418)

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."- Sam Ewing
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."- Thomas Edison
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:54 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

NEMO may be able to assist with some suggestions or ideas. Also, have you considered forming an FVC team this year instead of an FRC team? It is a more moderately-priced program than FRC and may be a way to keep FIRST going at your school. PM or e-mail me for more info - kathiek@firstnemo.org
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,
It is pretty easy to see we all care. Where there is a will there is a way. Let us know what the problems are, contact NEMO and your First regional director for help when you need it. If nothing else, please come out and cheer for teams at regionals in your area, and bring along some teachers and parents.
Let us know if there is anything we can help with.
www.wildstang.org
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Kappa != 1/(4Pi-Epsilon-Naut)
AKA: Steve Graff
FRC #1111 (The Power Hawks)

Rookie Year: 2003
Sgraff_SRHS06 is a jewel in the roughSgraff_SRHS06 is a jewel in the roughSgraff_SRHS06 is a jewel in the roughSgraff_SRHS06 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sgraff_SRHS06 Send a message via Yahoo to Sgraff_SRHS06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safarley2901
Hey guys, I'm Sorry to say that team 808 will not be participating in FIRST this year.

We really hope that it is only this year, but it seems that our team is falling apart. Two years ago our team had a lot of members and was spirited. It seems like everything that we have worked for has dissapated.

Our team has gone down to about 6 members who actively participate. We lost three mentors, this year.

Okay enough with me babbling, its not all that important to you guys I'm sure

We Hope to see you all next year.

-Steven A. Farley
-Danny Lin
-Chris Kuhanek
-Jeff Kidwell
-Andrew Wolfe
-Jacob Oblander
-Nathan Prioli
You have more members than team 1893 did and IT WENT to regionals and IT competed! They were pretty much a team of one or two. You can always have other teams help maintain your robot. Every other team did something to make sure that 1893 was able to compete. Other teams even helped drive the robot. That's gracious professionalism for ya.

And don't worry. As long as you have the money and the will, just go out and roll. But I understand why you can't. But teams reorganize and regain their strength. Take 1893 and also 399, which lost a head mentor and the mentor's son. Hence--the team name TNT! (They ended up going to championships as well as Chesapeake and Vegas and they're still goin' strong.)

2006 Chesapeake Regional Semifinalists (Thank you 614 and 339!)

UM Class of 2010!!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

If you have the funding, keep going. Team 294 only has about 10 active members and does well enough each year. 6 can't be terrible, especially with the kitbot/trannsmissions and delphi willing to help.

If its funding, all you need is 6k, and a little extra and you can still compete and have a great time.

It actually makes me sad when I hear of a team being shut down.

Like us on Facebook!
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of ALL our robots!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:18 PM

Safarley2901 has a spectacular aura aboutSafarley2901 has a spectacular aura aboutSafarley2901 has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to begin by saying, that I did not expect such a response from people. For me it was more of a way to finalize the idea that we weren't doing First this year; an epitaph of sorts.

The problems are many. Lack of funding is one of them. We're sitting on about $1,500 in the account right now.

Our mentor feels that FIRST has lost sight of its goals; I agree to an extent, although that doesn't mean I no longer wish to participate. It wasn't a team decision, as much as it was our mentor bottom lining it for us. He feels we would get more experience out of something like the NRC (which the team as a collective are participating in.). The rest of the team had a bad response to the idea of not doing First, driving away even more people. His action basically stopped us from having to deal with irate students.

Danny, Chris and I (Steve) would like to find a team to latch on to, or even do First provided we find funding, although I feel it would be going behind our mentor's back. I may have made him seem like a Draconian driver, which he isn't, but he has been with us since I began, I guess you could call it a type loyalty

It seems from my view point, that when Alliance started doing FIRST, they attracted mostly freshman. But, from then on recruitment steadily decreased to the point that we have no new members this year. Three years ago, "Captain Hook"'s year, all of the seniors graduated, leaving us with maybe 10 members when we originally had 30.

Some of these problems seem irreparable to me, though that doesn't stop us from trying. Last year a number of students didn't meet the 70 hour requirement to go on the trip, and they argued until the Mentor just gave up, The horrible thing was is that the rest of the team with the exception of a few of us, stood there and just let it happen. She had been with the team since its conception, and gave up on it.

Again I appreciate all of the comments you guys have made; all of us do.

Instead of FIRST, Danny, Chris and I are doing the next best thing. Building a First robot during the 6 week build season and going to off season competitions, since the budget currently allows for it.

It hardly seems adequate compared to what we having been doing the past couple of years, but you have to choose your battles.

Even if we had the funding, the decision has been made. Jeff doesn't feel that we should do First, and we can't change his mind. We could do it anyway if we had the money, Providing we could get access to the account from the school, but its not worth losing another mentor over it.

Thank you all, for your support.

We hope to see you next year.

-Danny Lin and -Steven Farley
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:26 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

While you are on sabbatical if you have any events nearby that you can go to, consider volunteering. It's a different side of FIRST that you will see; one that many of us enjoy as much as sitting in the bleachers!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieK
While you are on sabbatical if you have any events nearby that you can go to, consider volunteering. It's a different side of FIRST that you will see; one that many of us enjoy as much as sitting in the bleachers!
Danny, Chris, and I are thinking about volunteering at the Pittsburgh regional. Only Drawback is trying to get out of school for a few days. Since the Team isn't the reason, it may be quite hard to leave. Thank you for the Idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: