OCCRA
Go to Post It can't be too bad... it's Canada! :) - Brandon Martus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Financial Engineer
FRC #2641 (Robot Yacht Club)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Would You Say To The Newer Members Of CD - 2nd Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I thought it was read the FULL manual--as in cover to cover, multiple times, by the end of Week 1, and review for the next 5 weeks...
How about both?
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I thought of one today - it goes something like this -
Gracious Professionalism does not take a holiday.

I thought of creating a thread asking what would happen if it did..but my toes started curling and that is never a good sign.

Busy season, slow season, bored season, stressed season, each of us works to spread GP in the Chief Delphi community. Our choice of words, our responses, and sometimes what we don't say - are very important in communicating Gracious Professionalism. It is a big part of what the FIRST community strives for when building robots and building people.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 12-19-2006 at 07:22 PM.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to realize that, during the season, I manage to post one reply for every two that I start. That is to say I write twice as many posts as actually make it on the site. Half are worth posting, the other half get trashed by me. Don't be afraid to do the same kind of thing. It's never to late to hit the back button till it is.

I like to think about this in a signal to noise concept. Signal is worthwhile posts. The stuff that answers questions, poses important questions and is helpful. Noise is everything that shouldn't be posted in the first place or should stay in Chit-Chat. The ratio between the amount of worthwhile stuff and the junk is the signal to noise ratio of this system. When the signal outweighs the noise, things are productive.

Honestly read what you've written before you hit the post button. Are you adding to the discussion? Are you answering a question? Are you qualified to answer the question? Is this post signal or noise?

If your posts boils down to "I don't know the answer" then it's probably not worth posting. Educated guesses are usually fine, wild guesses are not. During the season people are usually asking important questions and looking for the correct answer. Wildly incorrect or pointless posts add up to a whole bunch of 'noise' when your looking for that bit of 'signal' that the answer represents.

If you know the answer, pipe up! But first make sure you are in fact correct. Then, fully and completely answer the question. Research your post and include pertinent links to information, quote the rule book, reference other posts that might answer the question. Do what it takes to communicate your self even if it does mean taking a few extra minutes. We all reap the benefits.

The better the signal to noise ratio, the better the season will run.

-Andy A.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2006, 02:33 PM
CraigHickman

One thing that I try to do most times before posting can help keep the content of postes quite understandable. The technique is simple, read what you just wrote. And not read silently. Read it outloud, or at least on your breath. Because many grammatical errors, and sentences make no sense, and cannot be discovered until you read it to yourself. This helps me to remain somewhat coherent on here.

Also, welcome, may this new home for the next 4 (or more, hopefully) years of your life be enjoyable. Also, don't let all the scary people with very forcefully presented opinions scare you off.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Seriously I'm almost never serious!
AKA: Eric Schnabel
FRC #0314
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Schnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take anything too seriously! I'm serious.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Bye RoboDox & LVHS. It was great!
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
indieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to reading the full manual, make sure you read the Updates that FIRST puts out.

If you have time, cross-reference the Updates and the Manual. (i.e., actually write in your manual at rule x.x.x that it was replaced by Update 3, Page 2)

indieFan
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a BIG one for me:

If you start a new thread PLEASE be sure to take time thinking about the thread title - make sure it clearly encapsulates the point of the thread. The thread title of this thread ("What Would You Say To The Newer Members Of CD - 2nd Edition") is a great example of a good thread title.

Usually at the beginning of the year I try to be helpful and read all of the threads. After a while there is just too much clutter and I don't have time to read everything. If I don't know exactly what a thread is about by the title and I don't have all day, I tend to skip it. A good thread title let's people know if they can help before they have to spend time reading the thread.

Examples of poorly thought out thread titles:

"Help"
"Control System Help"
"CMUCam"
"The Chamionship"

Making good thread titles out of the above poor titles:

"Help Needed With printf()"
"Help Needed With Reading A/Ds"
"CMUCam Parameters - How to Compensate for Ambient Light Changes"
"Are there good places to eat near the Georgia Dome?"
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not 100% sure of an answer, do not answer a question without checking your answer. If it's something you can't check it for some reason, don't answer, there are more than likely plenty of people here who can.

If you answer a question about rules, please, please, please reference the rule, ie <R32>, or even better, put the rule directly in your post via the nifty quote function, denoted by the speech bubble on the toolbar on the "Reply to Thread" page. As an example (and if you don't know, you get the header for the quote by putting an = directly after the word "QUOTE", the tag below would be [quote=1.3.37 "Really Important Rule"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.3.37 "Really Important Rule"
Be sure to review the manual before posting a question. Also, check the official FIRST Q&A to be sure it has not been answered there. And always remember, rules from prior years do not apply this year.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that I am resurrecting a thread but I puzzled over where to post for a bit and decided to post here.

We are at a point in the season where new members are participating in ChiefDelphi and it is a new adventure for them.

I'm noticing red reps being given to new posters who have less than 3 posts in the fora so far. I would suggest that veteran posters take a moment to help the new poster rather than hitting the red rep button so quickly. If the poster is making multiple posts rather than using an edit button to add to the original post, take the moment that you would spent hitting the red rep button and send them a PM with an explanation of what the edit button is and how it works. Don't assume that everyone knows how to post in CD and is familiar with its features.

It doesn't take any time at all to be helpful and to be kind, helping to insure a good start to the season for all.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 01-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:33 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

There is a tremendous value in these forums, all there for your benefit.

Find it, know it, love it, nurture it.

You will find some of the most intelligent, knowledgeable, helpful people in the world on these forums, ready to share their wisdom with you, no matter who you are.

You will learn things you never expected to learn so be sure your mind is open to new things and leave your preconceived notions and attitudes at the door. You will have a much richer experience if you do.

And when you are ready, give a little back to CD, because it is all about iterative process improvement. CD makes you a little wiser, then you make CD a little better, making someone else a little wiser. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Orange Hat
FRC #0247 (Da Bears)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2009
dqmot17 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to dqmot17

Don't read to literally into what people say - They are trying to help you, not make fun of you or criticize you.

Also, try and make friends. This is a great place to meet people that maybe could gain you some things in the future. You never know when that person you talked with is now head of the team that's kicking lots of butt and you want them to pick you.

And finally, dont be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes what you may think is a stupid question is what other people want to know but are afraid to ask. This is like a happier school environment.... except here most people know what they are talking about
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqmot17 View Post
Also, try and make friends. This is a great place to meet people that maybe could gain you some things in the future. You never know when that person you talked with is now head of the team that's kicking lots of butt and you want them to pick you.
You also never know when a friendship will spring up, or what you will end up with. I've developed great relationships just by posting, and by other means (Twitter, a little Facebook, AIM). I've gained a custom pair of Converse shoes, several people who give great advice, an appearance at a demo, and several fun hours of playing Pokemon TCG, among other things. This doesn't even include the friendships I know I'll keep for a lifetime, the insights I've gained about all aspects of FIRST, and the changes in my personality.

Basically: stay involved, make friends, and dnt' sp33k liek dis pl0x
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
I realize that I am resurrecting a thread but I puzzled over where to post for a bit and decided to post here.

We are at a point in the season where new members are participating in ChiefDelphi and it is a new adventure for them.

I'm noticing red reps being given to new posters who have less than 3 posts in the fora so far. I would suggest that veteran posters take a moment to help the new poster rather than hitting the red rep button so quickly. If the poster is making multiple posts rather than using an edit button to add to the original post, take the moment that you would spent hitting the red rep button and send them a PM with an explanation of what the edit button is and how it works. Don't assume that everyone knows how to post in CD and is familiar with its features.

It doesn't take any time at all to be helpful and to be kind, helping to insure a good start to the season for all.

Jane
I'm noticing this too ... and I'm wondering if CD is making it red because their rep is 0.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
I'm noticing this too ... and I'm wondering if CD is making it red because their rep is 0.
0 (neutral) is supposed to be gray.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
College Mentor
AKA: Trent Borman
FRC #3928 (Team Neutrino)

Rookie Year: 2008
Trent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Trent B Send a message via Yahoo to Trent B Send a message via Skype™ to Trent B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
<snip> Hit ctrl-f and search the pdf file for a keyword pertaining to your question. Odds are it's already in there.<snip>
Little rewording of this.

Keywords not keyword as in the plural form.

I might call something 1x1 aluminum another person make call it extruded aluminum tubing another make call it square aluminum tubing. Same applies to the manual, while it defines at the beginning and continues to use constant terminology for parts of the field, it may use a different word than you would to describe an illegal action in a rule.

Think no running by the pool vs no jogging/sprinting/speed walking by the pool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: