OCCRA
Go to Post A Red Ryder 200-shot carbine Range model air rifle!!! - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Kit & Additional Hardware
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 05:24 PM
CADDer Extraordinaire
AKA: I shall call him Mini Me.
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
Eric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud ofEric Scheuing has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Eric Scheuing
Vacuum tube.

Did anybody have a use for the vacuum tube in the kit of parts? Maybe they expect us to suck other robots closer to us to aid in defense?

World Champions. Thanks to 190 and 987.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 05:26 PM
AKA: Matt Howard
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Viper37 will become famous soon enoughViper37 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Viper37
Re: Vacuum tube.

Its to grasp the inner tubes.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
AKA: 3 Teams in 3 Seasons
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Ericgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Ericgehrken Send a message via Yahoo to Ericgehrken

I agree with Matt. I think that the vaccum tube should maybe be hooked up to a lightweight low power using vaccum to create suction between the grasper of the ringer and the ringer.
2010-
2010 Suffield Shakedown Winner Thanks 178 and 177
2010 WPI Regional Rookie All Star
2010 WPI Dean's List Finalist
Team 195 Member 2007-2009
2007 CT Regional Winner Thanks to 1124 and 558
2008 FIRST Presidents Circle Winner
2009 Suffield Shakedown Winner thanks to 126 and 1124
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 07:58 PM
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 2005
AChastain will become famous soon enoughAChastain will become famous soon enough

I don't know about that. Personally, I couldn't wait to try it out on a tube but I don't think that it would hold it very effectively now that I have seen them together. Hey, I'm no expert though.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
AKA: Jimmy Cao
no team

Jimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Cao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Scheuing View Post
Did anybody have a use for the vacuum tube in the kit of parts? Maybe they expect us to suck other robots closer to us to aid in defense?
I dont think they expect us to try to suck other robots to ourselves...

It seems as if it could be used to assist in the picking up of the inner tubes. I don't see how it can be applied in any other way.

Team 469 2006-2010 Student/Alumni
Team 830 2011-2012 Mentor
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm right here
AKA: sparksandtabs
FRC #0340 (GRR)

John Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to John Gutmann Send a message via MSN to John Gutmann Send a message via Yahoo to John Gutmann

They give you something to create a vaccuum...try that!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Team Captain
FRC #1991 (Dragons)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2006
Flanamana is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Matt. I also think that they're going to try to reinforce the idea of using a vaccuum instead of maybe a hook, so there's not such a thret of popping the innertubes
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:09 PM
FRC #1111 (Powerhawks)

Dianna Bartone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dianna Bartone Send a message via Skype™ to Dianna Bartone

Or they want to cut back on time spent cleaning up after the competition. Robo-slaves.

http://robotics.southriverhigh.org/forum/ -Team 1111's forum. We love to hear from other teams!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:22 PM
AKA: Andrew
FRC #0422 (MechTechs)

burkey_turkey is a splendid one to beholdburkey_turkey is a splendid one to beholdburkey_turkey is a splendid one to beholdburkey_turkey is a splendid one to beholdburkey_turkey is a splendid one to beholdburkey_turkey is a splendid one to behold

our team hooked up the vacuum the first day to try it out. it had an Ok grip on the tube, enough that the vacuum on the end of a manipulator could manuveur the tube effectively. there were two drawback to it that we noticed. one, the angle of the suction cup provided made it so that the cup has to be pressed against the tube hard to get it to seal. also, one the suction is cut off to drop the tube, it tends to stick, and needs some forcefull shaking to come off. i dont think we will be going with a vacuum this year...

on this note though, i remmeber the first time i experianced FRC. i was in 8th grade, and was shadowing at the specialty high school for engineering in my county (i eneded up not goin there). i stayed after for the robotics meeting (2004 challenge) and saw them working with suction. the team was trying to get a vacuum going strong enough to lift the big exercise balls. they couldnt get it to work. anyway just thought i would share that.

dont take my word for it though, try out the vacuum yourself and see if you can get it to work nicely. we are all creative people and there is more than one way to skin a cat
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:39 PM
AKA: !!Mitch!!
FRC #1392
Team Role: Programmer

teh_pwnerer795 is just really niceteh_pwnerer795 is just really niceteh_pwnerer795 is just really niceteh_pwnerer795 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to teh_pwnerer795 Send a message via Yahoo to teh_pwnerer795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna Bartone View Post
Or they want to cut back on time spent cleaning up after the competition. Robo-slaves.
lmao... who noes.. maybe you'll get extra points for cleaning the field this year

[n00b]Teh_Foxdonut teh_pwnerer795 - CounterStrike:Source
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 12:55 PM
FRC #2168 (Cyber Falcon)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2007
Benyamene is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkey_turkey View Post
our team hooked up the vacuum the first day to try it out. it had an Ok grip on the tube, enough that the vacuum on the end of a manipulator could manuveur the tube effectively. there were two drawback to it that we noticed. one, the angle of the suction cup provided made it so that the cup has to be pressed against the tube hard to get it to seal. also, one the suction is cut off to drop the tube, it tends to stick, and needs some forcefull shaking to come off. i dont think we will be going with a vacuum this year...

on this note though, i remmeber the first time i experianced FRC. i was in 8th grade, and was shadowing at the specialty high school for engineering in my county (i eneded up not goin there). i stayed after for the robotics meeting (2004 challenge) and saw them working with suction. the team was trying to get a vacuum going strong enough to lift the big exercise balls. they couldnt get it to work. anyway just thought i would share that.

dont take my word for it though, try out the vacuum yourself and see if you can get it to work nicely. we are all creative people and there is more than one way to skin a cat
How did you hook up the vacuum?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmage333 View Post
I dont think they expect us to try to suck other robots to ourselves...
OMG!
Awesome strategy!
Imagine these scenarios:

You lift a robot with the power of air for the points.

Latch onto one's side panel and trail it the whole match playing defense and just getting all over them so they can't score if they are really good..

How funny would that be?

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: