OCCRA
Go to Post Oh no, do I see a new reality TV show coming? "Dancing with the FIRST Stars"??? :ahh: - KathieK [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Cheap_Shot
AKA: Chris Chandler
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics )
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
Robo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to behold
Is the 2006 Gearbox allowed?

Is the 2006 Gearbox allowed?
I haven't read anything against it? I really would rather use it our drivetrain had worked well with it in the past.

We need a longer highlight list....... sigh

"To invent all you need is imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 2006 Gearbox allowed?

This has been discussed in other threads, though I can't seem to find them right now. It seems like the general feeling is that the old transmissions violate <R43>, in that they are not "generally available from suppliers such that any other FIRST team, if it so desires, may also obtain them at the same price." As such, they would not be legal. I suspect there will be a Q&A to clarify this issue.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #???? (Garnet Squadron Alfa)
Team Role: Mentor

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Is it available to all teams right now?

The answer to that question (in addition to passing the flowchart, which it otherwise historically has) is the answer to your question.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Cheap_Shot

Robo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to beholdRobo_Coyote is a splendid one to behold

I understand this but I'm really looking for someone to come up with a yes or no answer. I'm kind of frustrated with the amount of parts I liked from last year that we aren’t allowed to use

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
razor95kds has a spectacular aura aboutrazor95kds has a spectacular aura aboutrazor95kds has a spectacular aura about

I would imagine the old gearboxes would fall under custom transmissions and still be allowed.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 10:52 PM
AKA: Gary
FRC #4183 (Bit Buckets)

Rookie Year: 2006
GUI is a splendid one to beholdGUI is a splendid one to beholdGUI is a splendid one to beholdGUI is a splendid one to beholdGUI is a splendid one to beholdGUI is a splendid one to beholdGUI is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor95kds View Post
I would imagine the old gearboxes would fall under custom transmissions and still be allowed.
According to <R24> and R<26>, you may use individual components from previous bots.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor95kds View Post
Q: What rule or rules apply to custom components? A: The one that Billfred refers to above.

The old gearbox might become a custom component if you modify it, but either way it still started out as a COTS component (last year) and now it is NOT a COTS component because it is not available to all teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUI View Post
According to <R24> and R<26>, you may use individual components from previous bots.
<R24> Individual COMPONENTS from ROBOTS entered in previous FIRST competitions may be used on 2007 ROBOTS IF they satisfy ALL of the rules associated with materials/parts use for the 2007 FIRST Robotics Competition.

Since the old gearbox is not available to all teams now, it fails to satisfy ALL of the rules associated with materials/parts use for the 2007 FIRST Robotics Competition.

So you can't use it.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
MikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for the same ratio as the old Kit gearboxes look at the AndyMark single speed gearboxes.

http://www.andymark.biz/am-0011.html
Team 1403 (2011- )- Mentor
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2007, 09:55 AM
AKA: Mike
FRC #1279 (Cold Fusion)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
NeedMoreEngines has a spectacular aura aboutNeedMoreEngines has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to NeedMoreEngines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo_Coyote View Post
I understand this but I'm really looking for someone to come up with a yes or no answer. I'm kind of frustrated with the amount of parts I liked from last year that we aren’t allowed to use
BINGO!!! I completely agree, this is what we were all thinking as we were checking of the KOP list. I thought the big old square transmissions were fantastic! And only 2 small CIMS and one CIMzilla. what's up with that man?

And have you seen those radio transceivers?? huge!
Although I have to say, the green neon toobing...pretty cool.

The good thing about the YMCA is if you can spell, you can dance.

Proud Eagle Scout
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

I'm of an entirely different mind -- 'we don't get all the same stuff? Cool!'

I think it helps level the playing field between newer, less-experienced teams and teams that have been around for a long time. Personally, I would love to see even more variation on a yearly basis in the KOP. CIMs this year, drill motors next, etc...

...that said, I do not believe that the transmissions from last year are allowed under the rules stated.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Mechanical/Driver
FRC #0321 (RoboLancers)

Justin M. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin M.

Go for the AndyMark transmissions, they are comparable. I liked the old transmissions, but I am starting to like the BaneBots gearboxes more and more now. They are lighter, stronger, easier to mount, smaller, and you can fit them in a lot more places than you could with the older transmission.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

In case anybody missed it, the 2006 KOP gearboxes have now been explicitly forbidden... see team update #2.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Cheap_Shot

Ya i got it thanks

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)
Team Role: Alumni

MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. View Post
...but I am starting to like the BaneBots gearboxes more and more now. They are...stronger, easier to mount...
But are they? Has anyone had any experience with these transmissions before this year to give us an idea on their durability?

Last edited by MishraArtificer : 01-17-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixing content
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Mechanical/Driver
FRC #0321 (RoboLancers)

Justin M. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
But are they? Has anyone had any experience with these transmissions before this year to give us an idea on their durability?
The BaneBots motors look really good this year. I know teams last year used the 42mm gearbox with the FP motor with good results. Just make sure that you support the shafts if you are going to be stressing them - this could be the key point of failure for FIRST teams this year.

Last edited by Justin M. : 01-17-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: