OCCRA
Go to Post Give yourself the best chance to win at the event you're at by picking the best possible alliance partners available - always. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute
How the heck do you use an XBOX360 controller with the chicklet??

If the chicklet is supposed to support the XBOX 360 controller and is usb based, how does it work if the controller is not usb?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How the heck do you use an XBOX360 controller with the chicklet??

The XBox 360 controller is indeed USB based. The wireless versions talk directly to the XBox, but you can purchase wired versions which have a USB plug (so they can be used in Windows, as well).

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
WOOPS! shorted the deep cycle batt.
AKA: the supply seargent, Eugene
FRC #0375 (the robotic plague)
Team Role: Mechanical

eshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to eshteyn Send a message via Yahoo to eshteyn Send a message via Skype™ to eshteyn

Microsoft puts out a controller thats both xbox 360 usb and windows as well as other versions. Here is a link to help you.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ga...s.aspx?pid=091

Championship - Delphi "Driving Tomorrows Technology"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Mentor

waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks. I was looking at our xbox and it wasn't a usb connection. when I called bestbuy, they said it wasn't usb for the 360, and I've never seen one since I dont have that system.
Is it a plug and play system like past FIRST controllers, including the chicklet?

Last edited by waialua359 : 01-09-2007 at 09:33 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:40 PM

eshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really niceeshteyn is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to eshteyn Send a message via Yahoo to eshteyn Send a message via Skype™ to eshteyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by waialua359 View Post
thanks. I was looking at our xbox and it wasn't a usb connection. when I called bestbuy, they said it wasn't usb for the 360, and I've never seen one since I dont have that system.
Is it a plug and play system like past FIRST controllers, including the chicklet?
I don't know because the controller does require a driver for windows, but technically if it is plug and play with the xbox 360 then you should have no problem just plugging it all into the oi and using it since the chicklet is said to support the xbox 360 controller

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:42 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
optimusfugii45 is infamous around these partsoptimusfugii45 is infamous around these partsoptimusfugii45 is infamous around these parts

all you have to do is go down to ur elektroniks store and get an adapter for the controller-u kan do the same with ps 2 controllers
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Mentor

Talking Re: How the heck do you use an XBOX360 controller with the chicklet??

I tried to convince our school that we needed to buy an xbox 360 and games to have our drivers practice using the controllers in driving games,.....hehehe.....technically its justifiable.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I tried to convince our school that we needed to buy an xbox 360 and games to have our drivers practice using the controllers in driving games,.....hehehe.....technically its justifiable.
Ive had the same idea, but the school won't agree, they will just get you the controller.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Spirit is my middle name
None #1620 (Robolution)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Mona is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: How the heck do you use an XBOX360 controller with the chicklet??

i for one think that being able to use different controllers is an amzing thing to have, I know that every year the same old complaints are put forth about the joy sticks "they are TOOO sensitive"

hmm it would be awsome to use Wii controllers, tehee then you can actualy be your robot. just a thought
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
i for one think that being able to use different controllers is an amzing thing to have, I know that every year the same old complaints are put forth about the joy sticks "they are TOOO sensitive"

hmm it would be awsome to use Wii controllers, tehee then you can actualy be your robot. just a thought
That would be really cool, but from what i've noticed the wii controller lags a little bit and you really don't want that lag in the control of your robot

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
FRC #1872 (Yellow Fever)

Rookie Year: 2006
r.pesquera will become famous soon enoughr.pesquera will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to r.pesquera Send a message via AIM to r.pesquera Send a message via MSN to r.pesquera Send a message via Skype™ to r.pesquera

We had come up with the idea of using an xbox 360 controller while standing on the demo arena at the kickoff in manchester, nh. I knew we wouldn't be the only ones to come up wih such a great thing. Just don't know if it s possible to get it to work on the bot.
Electrical, Mechanical, Driver, you name it.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
AKA: Matthew Zagone
FRC #0494 (Goodrich Martians)
Team Role: Alumni

FIRST Rocks is just really niceFIRST Rocks is just really niceFIRST Rocks is just really niceFIRST Rocks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshteyn View Post
Microsoft puts out a controller thats both xbox 360 usb and windows as well as other versions. Here is a link to help you.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ga...s.aspx?pid=091
You do not need to buy the special Windows/X-box version of the controller. Don't be tricked into paying more! You can just buy the regular X-box wired controller and download the Windows driver from the Microsoft website for free.

Quote:
The 360 controller is indeed a standard USB connection. There are two USB ports on the front of the 360 console hidden by a door, and one on the back of the console. You can connect a lot of USB devices to the 360 like MP3 players, flash drives, and external USB hard drives and get music & pictures off of them. I don't know what the person at Best Buy was thinking when they told you it wasn't USB.

Also, the original X-box controllers actually are USB, they just have a unique, non-standard connector.

2009-Attending: Kettering District, Lansing District, Michigan State Championship, & Championship
2008-Attended: St. Louis Regional, West Michigan Regional, Great Lakes Regional, Championship, MARC, IRI, & Kettering Kickoff
2007-Great Lakes Regional Finalist, West Michigan Regional Winner, IRI Winner
2006-Buckeye Regional Winner, Wisconsin Regional Finalist
2005-Finger Lakes Regional Winner, Detroit Regional Finalist
2004-Archimedes Division Winner, Championship Winner
2003-Peachtree Regional Winner, Curie Division Winner, Championship Finalist

"There is no try. Only do, or do not." - Master Yoda
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Got It Memorized?!?
AKA: Carl
FRC #1717 (D'Penguineers)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2007
darkmastercrono is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn't the Xbox 360 controller be a bit more difficult to drive with? Its not like it's a racing game that you are using it for.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmastercrono View Post
Wouldn't the Xbox 360 controller be a bit more difficult to drive with? Its not like it's a racing game that you are using it for.
Your right, but if your comfortable with the controller enough to a point where you can use it efficiently then my question is WHY NOT?

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Got It Memorized?!?
AKA: Carl
FRC #1717 (D'Penguineers)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2007
darkmastercrono is an unknown quantity at this point

I know, it's just that we have a couple of drivers who are much more proficient at the joysticks, which they can use "inituitively." If I were driving, I agree, I probably would use the XBOX controller.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: