Go to Post Mind you... if your ball kicker has as much energy stored up as a trackball launcher, you ought to be able to kick balls up into the stands. - dtengineering [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > VEX
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Founder
FTC #3053 (Occam's Engineers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
nonother will become famous soon enoughnonother will become famous soon enough
Science Olympiad Robots

I friend and I (both on FVC 3053) just competed in Robot Ramble for Science Olympiad. Ourselves included about a full 1/3 of the robots at the competition were made of Vex. Last year we were the only ones to have a Vex robot. The kit is definetly catching on.

I am contemplating bringing some FVC literature with me to the NJ State Science Olympiad tournament to spread the word

I was curious if anyone else here that does Science Olympiad has noticed the amount of Vex, and if so I urge them to spread the word!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2007, 03:19 PM
FRC #1712 (Dawgma)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Dan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond reputeDan Zollman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Science Olympiad Robots

The number of Vex bots entered in the TSA (Technology Student Association) robotics competition is also growing.

dan.zollman - at - gmail.com
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:55 PM
AKA: Yolande
VRC #0438 (Metal Gear)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
ManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond reputeManicMechanic has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't see any other Vex bots (admittedly, only saw 2 others). The other teams put together robots with individual components. One team we talked to extensively spent about $500, plus about $400 of leftover parts from the previous year. Compared to this, the Vex kit is a bargain. We used a very simple robot built from the starter kit (no add-ons) with only one manipulator that placed second. So far, Robot Ramble hasn't been very popular at our Science Olympiad -- one year, only 3 of the 15 teams entered a robot at all.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Alumni, Mentor, and Coach
AKA: Eric Diehr
FRC #1716 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
cire is just really nicecire is just really nicecire is just really nicecire is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to cire

My senior year, (2006) I entered science olympiad for the first time and i built a bot for the robot ramble out of my vex kit. It was my 4th year participating in FIRST, my robot could pick up everything in less then a minute, i was worried about other schools doing it faster. Turns out I was the only robot to be able to even pick up everything without having problems - I was quite proud of myself!

Anyways, there were 2 other vex robots i believe, one was made from another FIRSTer from another team in town.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
FRC #0229 (Division By Zero)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Sislith is on a distinguished road

I personally think they rock. I built a vex sumo bot for Churchville-Chili's Sci. Olympiad team. Gold medal for our region. Beat every one else that they faced flat out, proving that vex rocks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: