Go to Post I think they get nutrition from chain greese. - Lucid [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2001, 05:34 PM
Founder 830/1015;Mentor 66/470/1502
FRC #0470 (Alpha Omega Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1994
kmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond repute
New Teams forming in Ann Arbor, MI - YOUR HELP NEEDED!

Hi!

I'm Keith McClary, the newly elected "FIRST Liaison" for YAAARC, the Ypsilanti / Ann Arbor Area Robotics Club!

We're trying to form teams at the Ann Arbor High Schools. We're a GO at Huron High already for this fall, and WE NEED YOUR HELP!!!

1) I'm trying to locate any and all Ex-FIRST team members now attending U of M Ann Arbor (EMU Ypsilanti, or other local people), that wish to help with mentoring a new team!

2) I REALLY need a few robots to show up for one or more of the following dates for team building demos:

Wed August 22, 7 PM- YAAARC meeting for press, school officials, and local potential sponsors at Corsa Instruments. (see http://yaaarc.org or http://yaaarc.hamjudo.com for maps)

Wed September 19 - Huron High - Operating demo and organizational meeting to organize a Robotics Club to act as the basis for a FIRST team. All day demo in the hallway, with literature, VCR/TV competition tapes playing, and YAAARC and guest team students organizers to talk to. We'd LOVE to have some current (or recently graduated) high school team people come talk to students about their experiences and encourage them to participate!

Date TBD, but probably somewhere during the middle of the week AFTER 9/19:
A BIG showing of multiple robots in a "mock game" in the auditorium for teachers, students, school board, potential sponsors, etc. Date TBD depending on what days teams are available to attend, but we're shooting for mid week. Come have a mock battle with other teams for FREE!

3) I'm desparately looking for leads on sponsors for these new teams! Please contact me if you know of companies (or divisions) in the Ann Arbor MI area that might be interested in sponsoring a new FIRST team! Even a SMALL donation would be greatly appreciated, as Huron High is actually going to include Robotics in their new curriculum, and we need to purchase some Basic Stamp II BOE boards for the class!

Please contact me at acti@provide.net ASAP if you can help connect me with your team captains for a demo of your machine, have contacts for students at UM, know of a potential sponsor, or otherwise can help in ANY of these areas in ANY way!

adTHANKSvance!!!!

- Keith McClary, FIRST Liaison, YAAARC
"Certifiably Insane": Started FIVE FRC teams & many robot clubs (so far)!
2002: 830 "Rat Pack" | 2003-5;14: 1015;1076 "Pi Hi Samurai" | 2005-6: 1549 "Washtenuts"/"Fire Traxx"
2005-(on): 1502 "Technical Difficulties" | 2006-(on): FIRST Volunteer!
2009-(on): 470 "Alpha Omega" | WAFL | Sponsor & "Floating Engineer" for MI Dist 13 (Washtenaw Cnty)
2011: 3638 "Tigertrons" | 2013-(on): 4395 "ViBots" | 2014-(on) 66 "Grizzlies"
"Home" Teams: 66, 470, 1076, 1502, 4395
Local FIRST alumni at or coming to Ann Arbor (UM/EMU/WCC/Cleary)?
...We Want YOU as a Mentor! Please email me for info!
Support CDF Reputation - If a posting helped, thank 'em with rep points!
"It must be FRC build season when your spouse and children become 'Action Items 8 & 9'..."
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2001, 07:16 AM
#1549 (The WashteNuts)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
jyax82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile FIRST Display at Ypsi Heritage Festival

This weekend teams 66 Willow Run HS and 470 Ypsilanti HS will have a display at the Ypsi Heritage Festival. Please feel free to come by and see our machines, we will be glad to answer any questions. Hope to see you there.

Jason, Team 66
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Joel H.
FRC #0470 (Alpha Omega)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
thehurd03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thehurd03
Re: New Teams forming in Ann Arbor, MI - YOUR HELP NEEDED!

wow I really pulled this thread out of the attic, funny thing is heritage fest is next weekend.

Anyways I was wondering does any body know if Yaaarc is still meeting? their homepage is pretty ancient.....

"I'm in yo crater, stealin all yo moon rocks"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
AKA: shawn
FRC #0830 (rat pack)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
luciaes is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Teams forming in Ann Arbor, MI - YOUR HELP NEEDED!

i dont think so
Team 830- The Rat Pack
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2008, 05:50 PM

kmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond reputekmcclary has a reputation beyond repute
YAAARC/GO-Tech meeting schedules, Ypsi Heritage Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehurd03 View Post
wow I really pulled this thread out of the attic, funny thing is heritage fest is next weekend.

Anyways I was wondering does any body know if Yaaarc is still meeting? their homepage is pretty ancient.....
<EDIT>
I've just heard that we're not done yet!!! Both Ann Arbor schools (Pioneer HS - PI HI Samurai 1015, and Huron HS - Rat Pack 830) have just let me know that they BOTH are in need of more sponsorship, and/or more engineering mentors! So if anyone knows about more of either, please let me know so I can pass that on. THANKS!
</EDIT>

LOL! --WOW--, you're right! This is an -OLD- thread!!! (Holy cow, what a memory trip... I first became involved in FIRST last century! This thread was one of the first ones I posted when I finally started ORGANIZING teams!)

Thinking back - Since I started this thread, I've had the honor of helping to bootstrap four different teams (830, 1015, 1502, 1549). I've helped organize, finance and operate them, and over the years at one time or another been involved in all aspects of the operation, as: a grant writer, sponsor finder, Mentor, Tech Trainer, Chief Engineer, or Team Contact (ad nausium... whatever was needed). In addition, in recent years I've been given the privilege of becoming a consultant to a number of other teams & people, either helping them understand the steps required to get a team started, or helping them solve their startup related technical or team issues.

In fact, I just finished handing off the last of my duties at my latest team to a sponsor. All of the teams listed above are up and running now (BUT COULD USE MORE HELP - SEE EDIT ABOVE), so after ten years I'm finally a free agent again! <HOORAY!>

I'd really like to take this opportunity to thank EVERYONE that has helped get these teams going: students, teachers, administrators, parents, sponsors, mentors, schools, the communities that have turned out to help the teams over the years, NASA for helping to bootstrap several of them, other neighboring teams that have assisted us (too many to name!) and most of all FIRST, for starting this great program.

My goal has always been to help get teams started and RUNNING, not to be the one running them! Heck - I'm an Engineer & Mentor at heart... I'm happiest once we get it started and others have learned to finance and run the team! Once a team is up and running, and has acquired a good set of leaders, sponsors and mentors, my work is typically done. (Wow... It sure costs a LOT to volunteer to be an organizer, or a team administrator, especially if the team is located far away!)

Honestly, I just want to teach kids technology, play Basic Engineer under someone else and solve game problems with them, and get to play with all of the neat hardware and software along with the other people! (Yea, right! Gee... I'm still looking for that situation! <LOL> I've always seemed to be put in charge of something, be a "system/team wide" problem solver, or have been cast as some kind of an administrator!)

(Enough reminiscing... On to your questions.)

YAAARC - The Ypsilanti Ann Arbor Area Robotics Club

Yes, YAAARC is still meeting, 11 times a year, at Corsa Instruments, Inc. 2370 Abbott Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
FYI, we simply lost our Webmaster a while ago when he had to move, and no one has stepped up yet to take over updating the site: http://www.yaaarc.org/index.php/Main_Page

YAAARC Meeting Schedule:
- Jan thru Oct = Fourth Wednesdays of the month @ 7PM.
- Nov&Dec = One combined meeting on the 2nd Wed of December @ 7PM
(because we kept running into the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays!)
Map link: http://www.yaaarc.org/index.php/Map

GO-TECH MAKERS CLUB

BTW - In addition, there's a new **MAKER'S CLUB** in Ann Arbor as well.

The "GO-Tech Makers Club" meets @ 8PM, 2nd Tuesday of the month (tomorrow!)
We meet at Great Oaks Co-Housing (common house), 500 Little Lake Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
http://www.gocoho.org/ http://www.gocoho.org/location/directions/
(BTW, Frog Force came out and visited us last month!)

This group is of interest to Makers of all flavors - machinists, programmers, electronics nuts, roboticists, ham radio fans, home foundry guys (etc). In general, if you like MAKE Magazine (http://www.makezine.com/), this club is for you! We teach each other how to hack in any material or technology, to allow members to make whatever they can dream up. (The Show and Tell period at each meeting can be awesome!)

BTW... Next month (Sep 08), I plan to be presenting a "FIRST Pneumatics" session, to introduce the GO-Techies to basic FIRST Pneumatics Technology for all of their "widget" needs. If your team is in the area and has Pneumatics Newbies that want to learn all about the subject (including some cool tricks) I'll be demoing the hardware, so come on out!

YPSILANTI HERITAGE FESTIVAL (Ypsi, MI - THIS weekend - 8/15-17, 2008)

http://www.ypsilantiheritagefestival.com/
Speaking of the Ypsilanti Heritage Festival, we want FLL/FTC/FRC teams to bring their robots to play at it this weekend! (gee--- this should be THREE threads now!)

FRC470 is hosting, with a tent and a partial FRC field setup at our usual place, by Cross St and River St intersection. (IOW, we're by the Freighthouse in Depot Town - NW corner of Cross St and the railroad tracks...)

Contact Steve Martin at 470 (CDF:emusteve) to coordinate when you think your team can show up with your robot, and come have fun with lots of other teams at the Festival! http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/member.php?u=6178

I hope that answers your questions!

- Keith
2002: 830 "Rat Pack" | 2003-5;14: 1015;1076 "Pi Hi Samurai" | 2005-6: 1549 "Washtenuts"/"Fire Traxx"
2009-(on): 470 "Alpha Omega" | WAFL | Sponsor & "Floating Engineer" for MI Dist 13 (Washtenaw Cnty)
"It must be FRC build season when your spouse and children become 'Action Items 8 & 9'..."

Last edited by kmcclary : 08-12-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Some of the teams still need more mentors, and sponsors!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2008, 05:21 PM

Re: YAAARC/GO-Tech meeting schedules, Ypsi Heritage Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcclary View Post
GO-TECH MAKERS CLUB

BTW... Next month (Sep 08), I plan to be presenting a "FIRST Pneumatics" session, to introduce the GO-Techies to basic FIRST Pneumatics Technology for all of their "widget" needs. If your team is in the area and has Pneumatics Newbies that want to learn all about the subject (including some cool tricks) I'll be demoing the hardware, so come on out!
(In case anyone cares) The FIRST Pneumatics Session has been postponed because another monthly topic was chosen for the September GO-Tech meeting (Printed Circuit Board manufacturing).

- Keith

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: