OCCRA
Go to Post Dean may have asked that every high school in America be involved with FIRST, but he never said [teams] all had to have separate high schools. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
AKA: Janice Bourget
no team
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
trollin1st is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to trollin1st
Disable After Autonomous

We were wondering if after the autonomous period if the robot is disabled or if it remains in autonomous and then proceedes directly into operator mode?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
For an extremely large value of 1/2
AKA: Greg R
None #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2003
half geek will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to half geek
Re: Disable After Autonomous

The short answer is I do not believe it will ever be disabled for a period after the autonomous period.
Edit: unless specifically disabled by the field operators.

In the default code, the robot is either in autonomous mode or not. Separately, the robot is either enabled or not.
In the following code segment from main(), the RC executes User_Autonomous_Code() if it is in autonomous_mode. User_Autonomous_Code() is a while loop, meaning the autonomous code and only the autonomous code will execute while (autonomous_mode). Immediately after leaving the autonomous while loop, main() calls Process_Data_From_Local_IO().
Code:
if (autonomous_mode)
      {
        User_Autonomous_Code();
      }
    }
    Process_Data_From_Local_IO();

Parse this:
g r e g a ``n o s p a m" r o b i ``a t" d e v ``d o t" j a v a ``d o t" n e t

Last edited by half geek : 02-13-2007 at 12:36 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
FRC #0469 (Las Guerrillas)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
tdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud of

I'm 99% sure that the refs switch from autonomous straight to teleoperated without disabling first.
I'm not sure how the arena controllers perform this switch, though. (autonomous -> disable -> enable or autonomous -> enable)

Either way, if the robot is disabled between auto and tele, it will only be for a brief moment.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

From my experience, in most cases where refs must count or otherwise need to reset something, all robots are disabled for a moment. Autonomous ends, all motion stops, there is a short pause, and then the cow-bell or whatever sounds, and it's time to go to work. And type run-on sentences.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:37 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass

It depends on which perspective, from the softwares point of view, it does go straight from autonomous to teleoperated, however field control is more than likely going to disable the robot at least once between autonomous and teleop, there is actually a flag in the software, but it escapes my memory, so if you have something affected by an arbitrarily disabled robot controller you can have it check the flag every time around to make sure it waits for an enabled robot.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

<G14>...referees may validate placement of KEEPERS during the pause following the end of the AUTONOMOUS PERIOD.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
FRC #3692 (RocknRobots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Japper has a spectacular aura aboutJapper has a spectacular aura about

Sorry I am new to this and have a few questions about autonomous mode as well...

How does the robot get into autonomous mode and how does it exit autonomous mode?

More importantly, how can I put our robot into autonomous mode to test the code that I have written for this?

Are we allowed to put our robots into a certain starting configuration by use of the joysticks or tethered mode before the start of the match and autonomous mode?

Due to lack of resources and the time crunch, we did not get our camera working and plan to just roll out of the end zone 10 feet and drop our keeper...

Any answers to the above questions would be very helpful!

Thanks
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Team 930 and 171 Alumni
AKA: Justin
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Gamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper View Post
Sorry I am new to this and have a few questions about autonomous mode as well...

(A) How does the robot get into autonomous mode and how does it exit autonomous mode?

More importantly, (B) how can I put our robot into autonomous mode to test the code that I have written for this?

(C) Are we allowed to put our robots into a certain starting configuration by use of the joysticks or tethered mode before the start of the match and autonomous mode?

Due to lack of resources and the time crunch, we did not get our camera working and plan to just roll out of the end zone 10 feet and drop our keeper...

Any answers to the above questions would be very helpful!

Thanks
I labeled the questions in the quote:

A. The field software controls whether your robot is disabled/in auto mode/operator mode. This is done by a cable you will plug into the competition port that is part of the field

B. To test auto mode you will want to make a dongle(switch) that plugs into the competition port. Information for the pin out can be found at: http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/comp...guide-reva.pdf

C. You will have to bring your robot in your starting position by wagon/cart/dolly to the Queue line and then carry it by hand onto the field. . . So pretty much you can't tether up to your robot after you leave the pits except to possibly charge up your Pneumatics.

Japper I sent you a PM and E-mail with my contact information. . .
Contact me some how. . .
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: