OCCRA
Go to Post Best. Team. Update. Ever. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:11 PM
AKA: Jacob Komar
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme
USB Chicklet IC12

Hey!!!!

We opened our USB-Chicklet box, and realized that the IC12 chip is missing. Looking further, we found it in the bottom of our box. Is it safe to turn on the chicklet without it? If not, do you think Crosstheroad would take it back (I don't like this option.... takes too long)...

I cant get the part number from the IC (way too small)...

Thanks for the help,
Jacob
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM
no team

whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme
Re: USB Chicklet IC12

Or perhaps someone in the CT area (Hartford area helpful) could sell us thiers if they are not using it...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2007, 05:36 PM
no team

Yeah....

So I tried putting the part on myself, which ended up in one of the pins breaking off

So now the question is, is this part essential, and if it is, what can I use to replace it.

The part number is Z66F. I think, *think*, that this is a diode pack. its 5 pins, two on one side, three on the other. From where it is positioned, it appears to be a diode pack. It essentially goes from output pins to the joystick port to PIC. Does anyone have a schematic for the chicklet, or maybe info on this mysterious Z66F part? I can't find anything on the old elgoog engine.

Jacob
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
You make it pretty We make it dance
FRC #3539 (The Byting Bulldogs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Mike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

IC 12 is not essential. The Chicklet will work without it however you will lose AUX_SWITCH_1. Everything else will function as expected. We will send you one as soon as possible. I am on vacation in Curacau(island off of Venezuala) so I do not get very reliable internet. This is the second time I have had to type this E-mail. I will attempt to contact Tom Watson at IFI and have him overnight you a new one on monday. We will eventually need the defective one back. No hurry however. If you have to ship it with the robot so be it. IC 12 is a digital switch. It is not vital to anything but aux switch 1. If you have any questions contact Tom Watson at IFI ext 204 or Omar at ozrien@crosstheroadelectronics.com. Do not try to repair the board. That part was placed by a machine.

Mike Copioli
CTRE Hardware Engineer
http://www.crosstheroadelectronics.com

Team 3539 The Byting Bull Dogs
2013 Michigan State Champions

Team 217 The Thunder Chickens
2006 World Champions
2008 World Champions
2009 Michigan State Champions
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2007, 12:21 AM
no team

Sweet. I don't mind losing one switch.

And about the part... Yeah.

I didn't attempt to solder it back on (that would have been ugly) so I tried to super glue it back on (the leads were still sticking off the IC.) It would have worked, had I placed it right the first time. I missed a little bit, so I had to use some acetone to remove the part (we didn't have straight up acetone, so I used PVC primer, which contains acetone, but it also purple.) So that part of the board has a purple hue to it (I can post pictures if anyone is interested... ) I then tried this process again. I actually glued it in the right place, I turned it on, everything was cool, but then one of the legs of the IC broke off (must have been bent one to many time... that thing is TINY) Then I tried looking the part up (Z66F... Good luck with that one) with no avail. My hope was to find it was 2 or 4 diodes, something i could just find more of and solder in place. I could never find the part, so I couldn't do this.

Long story short, thank you Mike and Cross the Road INC. You guys rock. This is a very nifty device, and I'm glad you will replace it. It will be of course no problem to return the board, and the purple stuff can be scraped off (I promise. I almost finished doing this today, but I got caught up in somehting else. I'll finish tomorrow.)

One suggestion to Cross the Road; Mounting holes. There is no good way to mount your board without using the DB15 connector or drilling out the mounts on the DB15 connector (something I DID NOT do, but starting to wonder if I will on the new one...) The only other way to mount it is using zip ties or glue !?... It's a double sided board though, so that wouldn't be too cool.

Again, thanks for the help,
Jacob
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Free Agent Mentor
no team (Team Krunch)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
jerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud of

This is perhaps the funniest post I have seen on chief dephi in years.
In my career as an electrical engineer I have analyzed failed circuit boards. We had boards from the assembly line and from returns. I now have a better understanding of how the customer got such a bad board. We never even had any blue stuff in our process.

Thanks Jacob, for the step by step description. I enjoyed every post (along with the time of posting).

After five years building FIRST robots, this is the reason I keep coming back. The mentors provide training and suggestions. The students provide a continuous stream of entertainment. I think that this is a rather good trade.

Jerry w
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Mike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond reputeMike Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't attempt to solder it back on (that would have been ugly) so I tried to super glue it back on (the leads were still sticking off the IC.) It would have worked, had I placed it right the first time. I missed a little bit, so I had to use some acetone to remove the part (we didn't have straight up acetone, so I used PVC primer, which contains acetone, but it also purple.) So that part of the board has a purple hue to it (I can post pictures if anyone is interested... ) I then tried this process again. I actually glued it in the right place, I turned it on, everything was cool, but then one of the legs of the IC broke off (must have been bent one to many time... that thing is TINY) Then I tried looking the part up (Z66F... Good luck with that one) with no avail. My hope was to find it was 2 or 4 diodes, something i could just find more of and solder in place. I could never find the part, so I couldn't do this.

Long story short, thank you Mike and Cross the Road INC. You guys rock. This is a very nifty device, and I'm glad you will replace it. It will be of course no problem to return the board, and the purple stuff can be scraped off (I promise. I almost finished doing this today, but I got caught up in somehting else. I'll finish tomorrow.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytheheckme View Post
One suggestion to Cross the Road; Mounting holes. There is no good way to mount your board without using the DB15 connector or drilling out the mounts on the DB15 connector (something I DID NOT do, but starting to wonder if I will on the new one...) The only other way to mount it is using zip ties or glue !?... It's a double sided board though, so that wouldn't be too cool.

Jacob
Actually the locking threads on the DB15 connector can, and are intended to be used as mounting holes. If you screw a #4-40 screw into each side of the connector while it is pluged into the O/I, it will ensure that the Chicklet will not come disconnected from the O/I. Thank you for your suggestions and good luck this year.

Mike Copioli
CTRE Hardware Engineer

2006 World Champions
2008 World Champions
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2007, 02:42 PM

You need to contact Tom at IFI so he can get your ship to address.

Mike Copioli
CTRE Hardware Engineer

2006 World Champions
2008 World Champions
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Copioli View Post
You need to contact Tom at IFI so he can get your ship to address.
Done. Thank you.

Jacob
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2007, 01:03 AM
FIRST Competition Competer
AKA: Steven Rhodes
FRC #0100 (WHS/CHS - WildHats)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
Stvn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytheheckme View Post

Jacob
I, for one, am interested in seeing pictures of this purple-dyed, superglued USB Chicklet.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2007, 06:06 AM
no team

lol OK.... I'll get to robotics around 11ish... I'll have to disassemble the OI... That's OK. I have to add a switch inside anyway to turn off the secondary power. It is actually a really interesting design....

Jacob
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: