OCCRA
Go to Post The worst that happens is we try our best and lose. And there's no shame in that. - pfreivald [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:00 PM
FRC #3634 (Hard Botties)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Storcky is on a distinguished road
How to lose 6 pounds in 8 hours

While we were on our way to our first competition this year, one of our mentors who had gone early to uncrate the robot decided to call and say that they had gotten the chance to go in and weigh the robot and we were 6 lbs. overweight! After about ten minutes, he called back and said that he was just kidding and he just wanted us to come up with drastic weight loss ideas. Anybody have any ideas?
Here's a few basics:
SWISS CHEESE like crazy
smaller motors
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Typer of doom
AKA: Chris McKenzie
FRC #2186 (Westfield Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
ChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of lightChrisMcK2186 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ChrisMcK2186
Re: How to lose 6 pounds in 8 hours

remove any extra plexi glass and decorations that add to the weight.

Or just remove the wheels

Chris

Stephen Colbert-"Please tell me this leads to robot
battles."
Dean Kamen-"It does lead to kids building robots, and they do compete in the sport but we also teach the kids gracious proffesionalism, so while the robots are competing, they do it in a very, very gracious way."

Darn, I got into this for the battles!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on the robot....hopefully you know ahead of time how much it really weighs!

We learned this lesson last year, and the weight budget was an important part of design/ build
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
NCSU student
AKA: David VanLeeuwen
no team (Team Awkward Turtle)
Team Role: Alumni

VanMan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to VanMan

Well do you have an arm bot, ramp bot, or both. If you have two ramps, if it comes down to it you can get rid of one.

2007-2009 - FRC 2108
2006 - FRC 926
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM
AKA: Fritz
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: Scout

Fritztopher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fritztopher

6 pounds? That's nothing. Two days before ship in 2005, we found out we were 60 pounds overweight. The quickest way to lose weight was to scrap most of the drivetrain, swiss cheese the thing, mill down all of our monster gears, and then go over the whole thing with dremels and files to cut out as much as possible. I still don't know how we managed to do it.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM
no team

Ed Coleman has a spectacular aura aboutEd Coleman has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about the robot since we didn't have that problem this year. However I did tell my wife I wanted to lose 20lbs of ugly fat quickly. She told me to cut off my head. Go figure.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Rookie Year: 2004
InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. We didn't have that problem this year. It's probably the first time we can actually say that.
Who knew silence could be so loud?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:33 PM
multipurpose tool
AKA: Rachel
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

rachal is just really nicerachal is just really nicerachal is just really nicerachal is just really nicerachal is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to rachal

This is the first year we didn't have a weight loss problem because we painstakingly did everything in CAD, made sure all the material properties were set, and also designed 10 pounds under.

In 2005 we were about 10 pounds over, we spent the last week filling every square inch of the bot with holes except for the chassis. Our anodized chassis plate was covered in sharpie marks after all the cutting so we doused it in isopropyl alcohol and set it on fire Not as quick as scrubbing it with solvent, but much more fun.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Mentor for team#3937 (Breakaway!)
AKA: David Bell
FRC #1519 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: College Student

dbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to dbell

we were about 10 lbs. over this year. we had designed our arm to have an azimuth turntable, but that had to go. we ended up not being able to save enough though so we took off one of our lifters.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Lexantologist/Team Lead
AKA: Jared
FRC #0811 (Cardinals)
Team Role: Mechanical

GBIT is just really niceGBIT is just really niceGBIT is just really niceGBIT is just really niceGBIT is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to GBIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoX14 View Post
Yeah. We didn't have that problem this year. It's probably the first time we can actually say that.
Same want for us we were 8 lbs underweight at GSR so we threw the kit compressor on just for the weight.

BTW Great job At the bolermaker reagional.I heard the story and that is too bad about the other robots in the semis. but great job getting as far as you did!!!!
-Past Driver-

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Programmer/physicist/mathematician
FRC #0868 (TechHounds)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
meatmanek is a splendid one to beholdmeatmanek is a splendid one to beholdmeatmanek is a splendid one to beholdmeatmanek is a splendid one to beholdmeatmanek is a splendid one to beholdmeatmanek is a splendid one to beholdmeatmanek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritztopher View Post
6 pounds? That's nothing. Two days before ship in 2005, we found out we were 60 pounds overweight.
Sounds a lot like 868 last year. The Sunday before ship, we weighed our robot and we were something like 30 or 40 pounds overweight. We essentially remade our shooter wheel in the matter of a few hours. Unfortunately, it sorta threw the alignment off - the curve was designed for the larger wheels.

This year I asked our mechanical lead several times during the build season, "If we had to cut weight, what would we take out?"

Our mechanical lead made sure that we weighed the robot at least once a week, and we weighed every part that we made before it went on and kept track of it.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Formerly robotcanuck1676
AKA: Graham Donaldson
FRC #1676 (The Pascack Pi-oneers)

Graham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant futureGraham Donaldson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachal View Post
In 2005 we were about 10 pounds over, we spent the last week filling every square inch of the bot with holes except for the chassis. Our anodized chassis plate was covered in sharpie marks after all the cutting so we doused it in isopropyl alcohol and set it on fire Not as quick as scrubbing it with solvent, but much more fun.
Yes, much much MUCH () more fun!

I remember, though I wasn't on the team, our 2005 bot was swiss-cheesed like crazy, as was the lexan wall on our '06 bot (5-ft long board of lexan= HEAVY. 5-ft long board of swiss-cheesed lexan: LIGHT). We did better on our '07 bot, but we were still 1-2 lbs. over, so we swiss cheesed our arm stuff and that was that.

2008 NJ Regional, 2009 Palmetto Regional: Chairman's Award Winners
2010 NJ Regional Champions (w/ 25 and 3059), 2010 VA Regional Champions (w/ 1086 & 1418)

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."- Sam Ewing
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."- Thomas Edison
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Electronics & Webmaster
AKA: Eric Jonardi
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Electrical

Sharkbyte is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sharkbyte Send a message via MSN to Sharkbyte Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkbyte

This year we weighed in at 119.9 of 120.

Last year (rookie year) we made our electrical panel out of two sheets of 3/8 plexiglass, which was eventually swiss-cheesed beyond recognition. This year we made it out of 1/16 fiber composite (grade GR-10/FR-4 Garolite).

P.S. Garolite is amazing stuff.

"I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."

"Duct tape is like the force: It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together."

"If duct tape isnt the answer you're looking for, you're asking the wrong question."

"You only need 2 things in life: WD40 and duct tape. WD40 for the things that don't move that should, and duct tape for all the things that do move but shouldn't."
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
User Error.... Recalculating.....
AKA: Linkage Designer :D
FRC #1565 (T3 Think Tank Technologies T3)

T3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to T3_1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritztopher View Post
6 pounds? That's nothing. Two days before ship in 2005, we found out we were 60 pounds overweight. The quickest way to lose weight was to scrap most of the drivetrain, swiss cheese the thing, mill down all of our monster gears, and then go over the whole thing with dremels and files to cut out as much as possible. I still don't know how we managed to do it.
similar story only we were 20 pounds over before we shipped it, so we cut it off using many saws and a really long time... funny part of the story is getting to the competition and finding out we were still 20 pounds over our scale was way off.... and we missed our practice matches that year...... and our robot looked like a piece of crap...... lol anyways... best of luck for overweight people

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:05 PM
FIRST=life
AKA: Fro
FRC #1568 (Mechanicatz)
Team Role: College Student

akshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to akshar

we are adding weight on thursday. about 15 lbs worth i think.

2005: UTC Judges Award (We'll be Back Award)
2006: Boston Regional Winners with 121 and 233
2007: Boston Regional Finalists with 1626 and 121

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: