OCCRA
Go to Post In theory, this should work... Oops. - Eldarion [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Cannot Graciously Accept

Gracious is an adjective.
- Al is always gracious.

Graciously becomes an adverb. Is that right?

- She accepted the invitation graciously.
- We graciously accept.

This is one we go round and round with, I know.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Gracious is an adjective.
- Al is always gracious.

Graciously becomes an adverb. Is that right?

- She accepted the invitation graciously.
- We graciously accept.

This is one we go round and round with, I know.
Jane
Your grammar is correct.

The point to be made is that if you have to point out that you are "graciously accepting", you are being ungracious. It's like bragging, "One of my best character traits is my humility."
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
AKA: Chris
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
burkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to burkechrs1

I think just for the heck of it we should all start saying something different. Everyone is jsut following what they think is the "right" thing to say. It really doesn't matter how you say it, as long as you thank the other team for choosing you. I think everyone just say's they graciously accept because some other team did it awhile back and it sounded "right"... Saying something like "Thank you, we would love to alliance with you" or something like that is more than acceptable...

Just my .02
2007: Quarter-Finalists - SVR

uber w00t!

See ya'll at the Championships!

#34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:33 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
Steve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=indieFan;602336]Steve,

While I have just learned something new about how the word "gracious" is currently used, I have to remind you that the English language is constantly evolving. One only needs to look at almost any definition in the OED to understand this.

Oh I understand it is an evolving language... and I do not disagree... Perhaps it is that I was just too beat up at school when I used a sentence fragment (automatic 31 points off!)
and had an editor at one time... I would get letters from English majors about my language so I suppose that did me in too... Wait... You're an English major? I'd better check my list... your name may be on it!

Steve
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Onward through the fog.

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV1188 View Post
Your grammar is correct.

The point to be made is that if you have to point out that you are "graciously accepting", you are being ungracious. It's like bragging, "One of my best character traits is my humility."
Thank you Gary.
Steve's advice/suggestion is coming from across the pond - so I'm trying to think about it a little bit from that perspective rather than from here in Texas. The phrase was one of those things I 'got used to' after a couple of years.
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)

Steve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65_Xero_Huskie View Post
From what that says (Dictionary.com), it looks like you can say that and mean you are happy, or relieved. I still dont get what the point of trying to tell us to NOT say "graciously". That sounds a little like UNgraciousness there.

EDIT***

This has to be the best thing in the thread so far.
I can't disagree with you in the definition but it IS a far reach to make it to "happy." and I've never heard of " Happy Professionalism " I've heard of "Happy Bunny!"...but that not gracious at all....

Steve
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Thank you Gary.
Steve's advice/suggestion is coming from across the pond - so I'm trying to think about it a little bit from that perspective rather than from here in Texas. The phrase was one of those things I 'got used to' after a couple of years.
Jane
WHOA JANE!
I AM in London... But I'm a native TEXAN! You know... wanna go home with the Armadillo.... that stuff... (boy it THAT song true!) I'm afraid that if even some Texans (me) can see the Un graciousness in saying "... graciously accepts..." well... I'd like to hear from some English teachers.
I prefer "Yep" myself ...but seriously, I don't have a problem with it... I just think I'd like the kids I mentor to look and sound educated... I provide the contrast that makes them look almost genius!

Steve
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV1188 View Post
Your grammar is correct.

Is the line "Team xxxx accepts your gracious invitation" be more proper?
Please help feed the hungry.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Onward through the fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Alaniz View Post
WHOA JANE!
I AM in London... But I'm a native TEXAN! You know... wanna go home with the Armadillo.... that stuff... (boy it THAT song true!) I'm afraid that if even some Texans (me) can see the Un graciousness in saying "... graciously accepts..." well... I'd like to hear from some English teachers.
I prefer "Yep" myself ...but seriously, I don't have a problem with it... I just think I'd like the kids I mentor to look and sound educated... I provide the contrast that makes them look almost genius!

Steve
Well, in that case - oh never mind.
Hello from Texas and thank you for this thread, I think...
Jane

Edit: Rich, I would answer your question - yes, I think it would do nicely. It could be: Team xxxx accepts your gracious invitation with pleasure. (My grandmother would love it.)

~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 03-21-2007 at 12:00 PM.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, I'm in the same camp as Steve. Gracious should not be a descriptor one applies to himself or his team. But that's not my key point.

I think a push to encourage kids to be more creative, unique, and independent when accepting an alliance pick offer will significantly reduce the frequency of hearing "graciously accept". Favoring this type of mentor attitude may eventually and pleasingly spill over into other areas of the student's participation on the team. I roll my eyes upon hearing many of the kids copycat this same tired phrase over and over and over and over and over and over and over (that's one "over" for each year I've been involved with FIRST). I think people on both sides of the grammar coin would agree that encouraging originality is a mutually-beneficial path to pursue.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
AKA: Chris
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
burkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to allburkechrs1 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to burkechrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hoffman View Post
I think a push to encourage kids to be more creative, unique, and independent when accepting an alliance pick offer will significantly reduce the frequency of hearing "graciously accept". Favoring this type of mentor attitude may eventually and pleasingly spill over into other areas of the student's participation on the team. I roll my eyes upon hearing many of the kids copycat this same tired phrase over and over and over and over and over and over and over (that's one "over" for each year I've been involved with FIRST). I think people on both sides of the grammar coin would agree that encouraging originality is a mutually-beneficial path to pursue.

WooWoo!! That says everything right there... It's overused and needs to replaced with soemthign more individual. Maybe incorporate your team name not just team number into it. Make it creative. I'm going to start thinking of a couple possibiblities for nationals if we get chosen...
2007: Quarter-Finalists - SVR

uber w00t!

See ya'll at the Championships!

#42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute

I personally like "Team XXX accepts"

I think the whole gracious thing is getting a bit over used at the regional. It drives my wife insane after about the 40th time you hear it at a regional.

2003 GLR Champions (302,67,226)
2003 Buckeye Semi-Finalists(902,494,226)
2002 Nationals QuarterFinalists
2001 West MI QuarterFinalists
2000 GLR Semi-Finalists
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hoffman View Post
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Rack and Roll!!!!!!", followed by Maverick/Goose Style high five/low five......
But then you'd have to pay a royalty to Team 1294 ("Top Gun") and their robot "Maverick."
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reiland View Post

I think the whole gracious thing is getting a bit over used at the regional. It drives my wife insane after about the 40th time you hear it at a regional.
[pedant] You wouldn't hear it more than 23 times, would you? [/pedant]
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Time to start planning RIDE 2015!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR Strike)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2001
Ricksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond reputeRicksta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reiland View Post

Agreed. When I used to be an alliance captain, I simply said the team number. And when we were picked, I said we accept.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: