OCCRA
Go to Post My team heard another team describe the Championships as "10,000 kids jamming the Georgia Dome for 3 days…more nerds per square foot than a Star Trek convention…and more purposefully employed " Is this true?, Because I don't think there could possibly be a more wonderful place on earth - Emily3204 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MikeDubreuil
Re: You Cannot Graciously Accept

Have you tried Cold Stone's Candy Land creation? It's cake batter ice cream with snickers, M&Ms, and Kit Kats. After having a "gotta have it" of that I would believe anything they told me.
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
So, it is just MY OPINION that language.. CONCISE language... is very important and that it should be a part of FIRST.
Programmers... don't your mentors strongly encourage you to include comments in your programs for yourself and future programmers who might build on your work? Shouldn't those comments be very clear so that a future programmer doesn't have to lose the time you gained for them by having to go back over your code and figure out what you did because the comments didn't quite make sense?
I will grant you it is a seemingly small error, but if it IS a small error (to Graciously accept)... then it is very easily corrected.
OK I'm laying low for awhile. Having made my point I think I will let it rest... The FIRST organization is gonna kill me when people start reciting epic poems to accept an alliance partnership. ... Hmmm What rhymes with "F.I.R.S.T."
Im sorry but engineering is not the field for conciseness in the english language. I've been told that multiple times by my boss. Once when I asked what a transorb was and the second time in relation to the unit hertz (He was taught with the units cycles/second). Then there is the time I had no idea how to describe what my robots look like. It's one thing to say tri-star but most people would have no idea what I mean by that. If we really wanted to do this the engineering way everyone would hold up pictures.
Quote:
The back story: I went to Coldstone Creamery with my family [for those of you who don't have it in your area, it's only the BEST ice cream place ever] I had just been discussing with my dad the "graciously accepts/accepts your gracious offer" issue as we're waiting in line, and I happened to look at the tip jar...
Did you actually give them a tip? I don't think there signing qualifies as graceful depending on which definition you use. Note: I have no idea whether or not they sing in all stores.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Last edited by Adam Y. : 03-27-2007 at 08:36 PM.
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
no team

Tuma Pacho is an unknown quantity at this point

To "accept graciously", as an apology graciously, can mean that what was received is less than expected or originally desired, but accepted anyway in the interest of moving on, or shows accepting the limitations of the situation or of the other party.

"Gracious" here uses the meaning of the word: merciful or compassionate

"I accept graciously the results of this mediation."
"I accepted graciously the disappointing verdict."

I agree, the fact that one is, in the same breath, pointing out this attitude, may be deemed ingracious and so contradictory by some.
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Busy in College
AKA: I am John Gault.
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs) FRC #118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pavan Dave

This topic needs to be pinned and/or blasted to all of the teams. I was waiting at IRI on the side for the alliance selection, and I remember some team leaders telling their students to "graciously accept" and it made me a big mad, especially because some of those teams had very Celeb-like members on CD.
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 11:46 AM
#YoDawgSafetyFirst
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan View Post
it made me a big mad, especially because some of those teams had very Celeb-like members on CD.
Haha that's awesome, they were probably doing it just as a parody on this thread and the whole discussion of "graciously accepting."

I think this is something that's been embeded into FIRST culture. Especially if one team says it at an event, then everyone's going to say it. I don't see this phrase going away anytime soon, but if we ever get drafted, I'll make sure my kids come up with something a bit more creative.
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Mountain Dew Bandolier Man
AKA: David Resowski
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Alumni

Herodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond repute

We had our representative at IRI wear my Mountain Dew bandoleer with four Dews in it. He said "Team 910 will gladly drink to that" and then handed a Dew to each of our partners.
2009 Detroit District Finalists - Thanks to 1856 and 2620
2009 Kettering District Quarter-Finalists - Thanks to 1504 and 1025.
2008 Kettering Kickoff Champions - Thanks to 67, 1075 & 2619
2008 MARC Finalists - thanks 67 & 226
2008 Great Lakes Finalists - thanks 66 & 217
2008 Western Michigan Semi-Finalists - thanks 2337 and 1504
2008 GLR Judges Award Winner
2007 Curie Division Champions - thanks 330 and 1270
2007 ARC Champions (13 and 0, plus scoring a double-keeper!) - thanks 1625 and 313
2007 MARC Champions - thanks 1732 and 1023
2007 Xerox Creativity Award - Western Michign
2006 I.R.I. Champions - thanks 71 and 1625
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed the confusion of mumbles followed by the loud "YES!" at IRI.
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Team President and Captain 05'-07'
AKA: Jacqueline Ha
FRC #0968 (Robotics Alliance of West Covina aka RAWC)

Rookie Year: 2005
jackie Ha is a splendid one to beholdjackie Ha is a splendid one to beholdjackie Ha is a splendid one to beholdjackie Ha is a splendid one to beholdjackie Ha is a splendid one to beholdjackie Ha is a splendid one to beholdjackie Ha is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to jackie Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
We had our representative at IRI wear my Mountain Dew bandoleer with four Dews in it. He said "Team 910 will gladly drink to that" and then handed a Dew to each of our partners.
That was interesting. In my 3 years as being our team captian, I have never had that happen as an alliance acceptance. It was a good thing too because I was really thirsty.
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
AKA: Graham Fraser
FRC #1305 (Ice Cubed)

Dreadfrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Dreadfrost

I cant believe this still gets brought up no matter how many years past. Its simply the other team that is being gracious for offering their alliance spot to you. Therefore one would say:

"Team XXXX accepts your gracious offer."
or
"Thank you for the gracious offer however team XXXX declines."

So once and for all pick one and use it, and lets make SURE this thread isn't repeated again next year.

You know what actually i'd like to see FIRST members to pick up a thesaursus and look up gracious, or go to http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/gracious and pick a different word and use it in Atlanta.

See you all there, and remember ill be listening!!!
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfrost View Post
I cant believe this still gets brought up no matter how many years past. Its simply the other team that is being gracious for offering their alliance spot to you. Therefore one would say:

"Team XXXX accepts your gracious offer."
or
"Thank you for the gracious offer however team XXXX declines."

So once and for all pick one and use it, and lets make SURE this thread isn't repeated again next year.

You know what actually i'd like to see FIRST members to pick up a thesaursus and look up gracious, or go to http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/gracious and pick a different word and use it in Atlanta.

See you all there, and remember ill be listening!!!
It will probably be brought up every year. I would estimate that outside of FIRST, 95% of engineers have bad diction when it comes to non-scientific terminology. An FRC student "Graciously Accepting" isn't an anomoly.

By the way, are we resurrecting the contest for the championships this year?
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

At IRI last year, against the backdrop of splendid examples of creativity in accepting an alliance captain's invitation, I overheard a couple of veteran students grumbling about the situation. "What's with all the newbies? Didn't anyone tell them what to say? Just go 'we graciously accept' and be done with it!" I decided to find their attitude amusing rather than irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfrost View Post
I cant believe this still gets brought up no matter how many years past...lets make SURE this thread isn't repeated again next year.
You do realize that you are the one who brought it up this time? And that you are the one posting this year on a long-dormant thread? It seems that your goal would have been served well by simply not commenting.
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Besides, for my ME degree I just have to take 1 english class and 1 speech class. I figure this is to make sure that I am able to talk and able to write. If I needed to write really well, they would require more. However, instead I am taking 3 years of solid math. That shows you what an engineer is expected to know. Ask me a math question, and I will get you an answer.(might not be 100% correct) But give me a grammar question and I am clueless. Engineers talk with math first, and grammar second. It is a fact of life. If you want a crowd with good grammar, look into an english based club. However, if you are just wanting a crowd you can learn something and have fun doing it; well, you are in the right place.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid!!)
AKA: Tech_Angel
FRC #0647 (Cyber Wolf Corps)
Team Role: Driver

647techangel has a spectacular aura about647techangel has a spectacular aura about

!!!!how bout TEAM 647 REPORTING FOR DUTY HOOAH!!!!

#119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
Agreed. Besides, for my ME degree I just have to take 1 english class and 1 speech class. I figure this is to make sure that I am able to talk and able to write. If I needed to write really well, they would require more. However, instead I am taking 3 years of solid math. That shows you what an engineer is expected to know. Ask me a math question, and I will get you an answer.(might not be 100% correct) But give me a grammar question and I am clueless. Engineers talk with math first, and grammar second. It is a fact of life. If you want a crowd with good grammar, look into an english based club. However, if you are just wanting a crowd you can learn something and have fun doing it; well, you are in the right place.
I think we all should strive to be better than what is expected of us.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Krass View Post
I think we all should strive to be better than what is expected of us.
Now, the only question is "who decides what is better?"

I personally believe that the quickest/shortest way to convey a thought is the best way. I am a very function over form person. That means that if I must use bad grammar to get my point acrossed, I will. To some, better means being correct. To me, it means being functional.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: