Go to Post For the love of God,please post the hint. We're starting to lose control. - johnr [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Would you support a longer autonomous period?
Yes 93 46.73%
No 76 38.19%
Maybe...I'll have to think on that one. 30 15.08%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex Suchko
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Autonomous Longer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Personally I think autonomous could be longer if there were more objectives. Look at the 06 game. you could score low, score high, or even just block another bot. I think just about everyone had an autonomous that year.
And hey, with 30 seconds... you might even endeavour to go around and try to pick up some balls...

-q

2008 Championship Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award Winners
Electrical Engineer Illini
1024 | Programmer '06, '07, '08 | Driver '08
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Cooley744
AKA: Lauren
FRC #0744 (Shark Attack)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Cooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Cooley744

ummmm. a short auto is good, cuz that's what makes it bonus. short time period and takes a lot of time to get make it and get it right, but if you do...ur amazing lol.
Colossians 3:23

Proud graduate and now lead strategy mentor and driving coach for 744 Shark Attack.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:11 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

I wholeheartedly welcome it. This year I'm leading programming/electronics, and this is the second year in a row in which we have more than 4 programmers. This means that we can effectively give people specific tasks.

This year, the programmers will also be given their own drive base. This will allow us to test and tweak a huge amount more, instead of the typical 3 days from ship, "Get it done!".

With easyC becoming a viable option for many new teams, I don't think a longer autonomous with better goals, more points, etc. will tip the teams more, in fact, it'll make it more equal. I don't know, lets wait and see what FIRST churns out.

#79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM
AKA: Joey
FRC #1714 (MORE Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Laaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by efoote868 View Post
With easyC becoming a viable option for many new teams
Have you used EasyC on an FRC bot? I tried it on a VEX bot, and i wasnt very impressed with the things it could do. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at it though, so I may have missed something.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Unregistered User
AKA: Kevin Forbes
FRC #4183 (Bit Buckets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
TheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laaba 80 View Post
Have you used EasyC on an FRC bot? I tried it on a VEX bot, and i wasnt very impressed with the things it could do. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at it though, so I may have missed something.
EasyC is mostly advantageous when it comes to sensors and simplicity. The way the program handles the routines is hidden from the user and you therefore only have to worry about what you want to do in the program and not how the heck to do it. (take the camera for example. We didn't have an autonomous mode during the FRC season because we just couldn't get the camera to work right in MPLab. Once I got a hold of EasyC Pro, it was within an hour that I got that camera tracking spot-on!)
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Team 11 Programming Captain
AKA: Max T
FRC #0011 (MORT)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
bear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to bear24rw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy View Post
you therefore only have to worry about what you want to do in the program and not how the heck to do it.
I still hate the fact that you don't know how it's doing it.. i like to be in complete control of the code were writing and the hidden routines kinda bug me
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM
plɹoʍ ollǝɥ
AKA: Jordan Perr
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)

Rookie Year: 2007
neutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Elston View Post
Auto mode was not worth 6 weeks of work for 2 points and a keeper... Auto mode last year was worth 30 points plus a 10 point bonus. SWEET.
The amount of time for auto mode to us doesn't really matter, but what it means to the match play does. It's gotta be worth it or gain an advantage.
I agree. Autonomous should be a more vital part of the whole game. However, you must remember, even though auton is the progger's time to shine, we also have to make driving the thing as simple as possible. Many techniques used during autonomous can be reused during driver operated period. This makes the extra you must write to "automate" it all minimal. As long as you programmed well, tried to fake OO as much as possible, it really isn't a waste of our time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: