OCCRA
Go to Post The closest thing to "Senior Mentor" we have is "Team Grandma". :) - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Predictions: The Big Show -- Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Newton: 1038 seeds 1-2, picks 148 and 1885, wins the division.
(Disclaimer: I love 1038.)

The only sure way for 1038 to win Newton is by drafting 247. They are one of the most effective scorers this year, but they need protection. If 247 isn't protecting 1038, they will almost certainly be riding 1038's interchangable bumpers.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
The Juggernaut
AKA: David McDonald
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
MasterChief 573 is just really niceMasterChief 573 is just really niceMasterChief 573 is just really niceMasterChief 573 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to MasterChief 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post

The only sure way for 1038 to win Newton is by drafting 247. They are one of the most effective scorers this year, but they need protection. If 247 isn't protecting 1038, they will almost certainly be riding 1038's interchangable bumpers.
I personally want to see 1038 team with 696 and 573(biased). That would be a winning alliance, two powerhouse scorers and a successful hybrid what more could you ask for.

2007 Great Lakes Regional Champs!
2007 Great Lakes Regional #2 Seed
2007 Boilermaker Regional Quarterfinalist
2007 21-8-1 Record
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so people are posting who they think will win the divisions so i guess i put mine up

Newton - 148 seeds #1, picks 111 then picks 340
Curie - 1114 seeds #2 picks 234 then picks 176
Archie - 494 seeds #1 picks 254 then picks 4
Galileo - 2056 seeds #1 picks 217 then picks 1251

I honestly think there is so much depth this year in each division that it is not going to be a problem for the number 1 seeds to win their divisions. The problem is going to be getting the team that they WORK best with. The alliance with the teams that work best together will beat the alliance with the best teams on them any day (excluding if the best teams work the best together)

just what i think could happen for winners in each division.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
FIRST Competition Competer
AKA: Steven Rhodes
FRC #0100 (WHS/CHS - WildHats)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
Stvn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Delles View Post
Exactly.

don't underestimate 2056. I could very well see this team being the first rookie FIRST World Champion (yes i dare to say this) They didn't get those 2 blue banners for being not so good. There robot is great, and the drivers are just as good if not better than most of the "elite" teams of FIRST. But who know's it will all be revealed come Saturday of who is the best in FIRST this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The world champion in 1995 (Ramp and Roll) was a rookie, and was featured on the cover of the Small Parts catalog the following year. 2056 along with all other rookies attending do however have the chance to be the first rookie world champion this century.

EDIT* The world champion in 1992 was also a rookie

good luck!

RAZ
But in '92 and '95, it was national champions, right? So technically, it would be the first rookie world champion.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Ridiculously proud of MN First
AKA: Nat Thompson
FRC #1816 (The Green Machine)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
BBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to BBnum3

I agree with Arefin-- although a lot of us have watched hours of matches and scouted many teams, it's impossible to know what's going to happen. But that's just the fun of predicting, isn't it? It's fun to see how close you can get with whatever information you have.

That said, I'll make some predictions of my own :

The giants in Curie will get split up. They will have such a target on their backs and such a rigorous qualification schedule that the very top seeds won't be the "best" robots. Look for a number 4-6 seed to come out of Curie. 3 quality bots will band together to make it to Einstein.

Here's a vague one, but one I think is true: Somebody we all never expected is going to make it to Einstein, possibly win it all. We'll find out who that is come next Saturday.

2008 MN Regional Chairman's Award
2007 Newton Division Finalists (Thanks so much 1124 and 1592)
2007 WI Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award and Semi-Finalists (Thanks 1732 and 2129)
2006 WI Regional Winners (Thanks 1625 and 111)
2006 Archimedes Division 6th Seed, Highest Rookie Seed, and Quarterfinalists (Thanks 343 and 60)

The Green Machine How to make a zip-tie belt

St. Olaf College Class of 2011
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefin Bari View Post
If you would like to further discuss this topic about "questions" without calling each other stupid on a public forum, feel free to pm me or you know my screen name for aim. With that said, would any one of the moderators be gracious enough to please delete my post?
Arefin:

I don't think Cory was calling anyone stupid, he just used a bit of confusing sentence structure. I myself had to check twice to be sure.

Cory - "Nobody said that their picks are 100% correct, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid."

I believe he meant, "Nobody said that their picks are 100% correct, and nobody said that anyone who disagrees with their picks is stupid". I think he was implying that this has been a friendly, rather innocuous thread to this point where no one is proclaiming some kind of uncanny psychic ability to predict the future better than anyone else, but I can see your viewpoint that many of these prognostications have had a tinge of rah-rah-ism for the home team or perhaps also a bit of the "me too" bandwagon syndrome. Even so, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with having fun in guessing.

Basically, this is all just for fun, and no one is pretending to know anything more about the final outcome than anyone else. If everyone continues to go with the flow, then no worries.

By the way, I have yet to make any predictions, nor will I, because karma and fate are scary partners, and I don't wish to upset either. I look forward to having our team try their best and be happy with whatever end result takes place. I don't have thick enough stomach lining to be up all night worrying about who's going to pick us or getting into the Top 8 or even if we'll do well enough to deserve consideration for the elimination rounds. I just hope the experience ends up being an enjoyable one for me and everyone else participating.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 04-09-2007 at 06:06 PM.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hoffman View Post
Fin:

I don't think Cory was calling anyone stupid, he just used a bit of confusing sentence structure. I myself had to check twice to be sure.

Cory - "Nobody said that their picks are 100% correct, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid."

I believe he meant, "Nobody said that their picks are 100% correct, and nobody said that anyone who disagrees with their picks is stupid". I think he was implying that this has been a friendly, rather innocuous thread to this point where no one is proclaiming some kind of uncanny psychic ability to predict the future, but I can see your viewpoint that many of these prognostications have had a tinge of rah-rah-ism for the home team or perhaps also a bit of the "me too" bandwagon syndrome. Even so, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with having fun in guessing.

Basically, this is all just for fun, and no one is pretending to know anything more about the final outcome than anyone else. If everyone continues to go with the flow, then no worries.
Let's continue...
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
AKA: Joshua
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

hayakuneko is a glorious beacon of lighthayakuneko is a glorious beacon of lighthayakuneko is a glorious beacon of lighthayakuneko is a glorious beacon of lighthayakuneko is a glorious beacon of lighthayakuneko is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to hayakuneko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief 573 View Post
I personally want to see 1038 team with 696 and 573(biased). That would be a winning alliance, two powerhouse scorers and a successful hybrid what more could you ask for.
sounds good nuff for me

i'm sad... Joe didn't give us a shot at getting to einstein
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
The Juggernaut
AKA: David McDonald
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

MasterChief 573 is just really niceMasterChief 573 is just really niceMasterChief 573 is just really niceMasterChief 573 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to MasterChief 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayakuneko View Post
sounds good nuff for me

i'm sad... Joe didn't give us a shot at getting to einstein
He's just being statistically correct in all reality he wants us to he just can't say it.

2007 Great Lakes Regional Champs!
2007 Great Lakes Regional #2 Seed
2007 Boilermaker Regional Quarterfinalist
2007 21-8-1 Record
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
AKA: Rees
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
rees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Delles View Post
Ok so people are posting who they think will win the divisions so i guess i put mine up

Newton - 148 seeds #1, picks 111 then picks 340
Curie - 1114 seeds #2 picks 234 then picks 176
Archie - 494 seeds #1 picks 254 then picks 4
Galileo - 2056 seeds #1 picks 217 then picks 1251

I honestly think there is so much depth this year in each division that it is not going to be a problem for the number 1 seeds to win their divisions. The problem is going to be getting the team that they WORK best with. The alliance with the teams that work best together will beat the alliance with the best teams on them any day (excluding if the best teams work the best together)

just what i think could happen for winners in each division.
I'm with Tim on this one. There are plenty of good teams. There are very few great teams. Just try to find a team you can work well with. I'm just afraid that the match list gremlins will keep teams from working together. I already know we won't be teamed WITH any of the teams you have us with. But thanks for the props.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post

Ahhh, but if 247 is defending 1038, they're not defending 148, which is guaranteed to cause some serious issues. 1885 can toss in a couple ringers (or a spoiler), play defense, or interfere while this is all going on as well (until they deploy their ramps at about 35-40 seconds). That is, unless 247's alliance sends multiple defenders, then we approach a whole different debate (and a debate about how well 148 can score through defenders and carry an alliance). Regardless, these alliances are the ones I feel had the best chance (by plurality, nobody has even near a 1/10 odds of actually happening) of not only being formed, but making to Einstein when they are formed. I doubt any of my picks will end up being 100% true. Maybe 1 or 2 of the teams I mentioned will make it to Einstein, but I doubt more than that.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Team Leader
AKA: Dan Stauft
FRC #4740 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Dan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond reputeDan 1038 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Ahhh, but if 247 is defending 1038, they're not defending 148, which is guaranteed to cause some serious issues.
Having seen what Da Bears are capable of in Pitt, and being pitted next to them at the same, I think we would love to have them defending us in the eliminations, not vice versa

We look forward to trying to get Newtion to Einstien, either by hanging tubes or helping other teams with scouting and strategy. This is gonna be FUN!

2011-Present
Founder & Team Lead, FRC Team 4740 - Spartabots, Nashville, TN
Founder, FRC Team 3945 - Cobrotics, Whites Creek, TN
Mentor, FRC Team 4306 - Robo Komodos, Franklin, TN

2005-2011
Mentor, FRC Team 1038 - Thunderhawks, Liberty Township, OH

#43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
AKA: I think I'm a freshman?
AKA: Luke
FRC #1425

silicon_ghoti will become famous soon enoughsilicon_ghoti will become famous soon enough

I was looking at what everyone was posting on the "ideal team" and they all seem to consist of 2 excellent ringers and a ramp-bot/defender, but I was sort of wonder that because all these divisions are so deep, is it that far fetched that there could be an Einstein quality team composed completely of excellent and good ringers? There are disadvantages to this type of team (running out of ammo ) but if they coordinate well, they might be unstoppable.

Thats just me though, feel free to scrutinize and poke holes in this theory, but I'm just throwing it out there to stir up thoughts.

This is a BEAR, it saves you.

Ghoti is pronounced "fish," ain't that sumthin'?
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Go VOLS!!
AKA: Budda648
no team (QC Elite)

Rookie Year: 2002
Jeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeremiah Johnson Send a message via MSN to Jeremiah Johnson

/I'm dismounting my 648 high horse for the moment.

I see no problem with an alliance that has three effective tube scorers on it winning their division. I say this because there is a good chance that these teams could also play effective defense. 111 and 71 both have excellent crab drives and can play a mean defense if needed, yet both can score tubes effectively and quickly (plus they have ramps). Those teams won't hook up, though, they're in different divisions.

However, versatility could be the key for this year's champions. They'll have to adapt every match and at least one team (of the three) is going to have to play defense when they don't expect to.

/Remount high horse

XBOX Live Gamertag = theVelvetLie
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Bengineer
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Ben Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the finals at Palmetto, Boston and UTC proved to me that you need the "threat" of a ramp bot. The #1 alliance at Palmetto had two AMAZING ringer bots, and a 3rd bot without ramps. While they cruised through the 1st two rounds, they ran into problems in the finals because they didn't even have the option of 60 ramp points. Some strong defense and a double ramp sealed their fate.

At UTC, both alliances had great ramp bots. But this battle was won at the rack, as two very good ringer bots fought off a ringer and a defensive bot to win. At the end of the matches, neither team ended up with a 60 pt bonus, but the threat was still there. That threat is what kept the opposition from just scoring their 60 and winning the match.

Boston was similar, with 4 great ringer bots putting up points at the rack. But, again, 69's 2 ramps got the better of 121's single ramp. Rarely did the winning alliance lift both robots, but having the threat of 60 points forced the 121/1626 alliance to compensate and beat them at the rack.

Team won't need to score the 60 bonus points to win matches. But, having the ability to, will allow them to win the match at the rack. Two great ringer bots with a solid 2x ramp/defensive bot should win this Championship.

BEN
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: