OCCRA
Go to Post All this is sounding like gobbly-de-gook but it is important to understand this gobbly-de-gook. - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Dean Kamen's Inventions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Rep' da Goat
AKA: Jimmie Nickerson
FRC #0829 (The Digital Goats)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2005
Jimbo5051 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jimbo5051
Lightbulb Nobel Peace Prize for Dean Kamen

I don't know how I came up with this, but I was just thinking that there really is no reason why Dean Kamen shouldn't win a Nobel Peace Prize for his inventions. Well I'm not so sure about the Segway and stuff, but as I heard earlier he is currently working on a robotic prosthesis for amputees. If you didn’t already know he has invented more things than just the Segway or iBot, he also invented the first insulin pump and the AutoSyringe (of which my grandmother uses both because she is diabetic). He is also working on a water purification machine that can obviously purify water but also generates power. He plans on using these for third-world countries. I know that being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize is not that easy, because the Nobel Prize Commission must actually select you to nominate someone and the people they usually choose are university professors, so if you know any that have connections to someone like that talk to them about this because I truly think that his inventions are truly note worthy. And please leave your outtake on this matter. I maybe more sensitive to this considering my grandmother uses two of his inventions but either way I believe he should still be nominated.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel
Re: Nobel Peace Prize for Dean Kamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo5051 View Post
He is also working on a water purification machine that can obviously purify water but also generates power. He plans on using these for third-world countries.
A quick clarification here. The water purification machine does not make power. That product is called the sterling engine. It is a common mistake and they are related in their intended use but 2 separate things all together.

As for the nobel prize...I don't think that dean has achieved the level of the nobel prize yet. That is not to say that he won't but so far his products have not been "world changing." Dean's inventions are good and help many people every day but how is that different then the many other medical products out there? If he were to win the prize I believe that he would be more likely to get it because of FIRST then any specific invention so far.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Rep' da Goat
AKA: Jimmie Nickerson
FRC #0829 (The Digital Goats)
Team Role: Electrical

Jimbo5051 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jimbo5051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Needel View Post
As for the nobel prize...I don't think that dean has achieved the level of the nobel prize yet. That is not to say that he won't but so far his products have not been "world changing." Dean's inventions are good and help many people every day but how is that different then the many other medical products out there? If he were to win the prize I believe that he would be more likely to get it because of FIRST then any specific invention so far.
I sorry but I tend to disagree, I usnderstand about the Sterling Engine I thought that was the water purification system, but he has made a big impact in the medical field, I believe that hundreds of millions of people use his medical inventions.

Last edited by Jimbo5051 : 04-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

Quote:
I sorry but I tend to disagree, I usnderstand about the Sterling Engine I thought that was the water purification system.
Trust me I know the water machine very well, and it does not create electricity.
The water is on the left, the sterling is on the right.

Quote:
but he has made a big impact in the medical field, I believe that hundreds of millions of people use his medical inventions.
this may be true but how many people use band-aids but I don't see the inventor getting the Nobel peace prize. I don't think anyone can argue about the impact of his products but there are many people and companies that have similar impacts, so what sets dean apart?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Formerly of 1653
FRC #1984
Team Role: Mentor

kawelch is a splendid one to beholdkawelch is a splendid one to beholdkawelch is a splendid one to beholdkawelch is a splendid one to beholdkawelch is a splendid one to beholdkawelch is a splendid one to beholdkawelch is a splendid one to behold

Why Peace... Nobel Prizes are given for Physics, Chemistry, Physiology, Medicine, Literature, Economics as well as Peace.

181 names were submitted for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, 46 of which are organizations. The Nobel Committees in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and the Prize Committee for Economics each usually receives 250-300 names every year. The names of the nominees cannot be revealed until 50 years later.

http://nobelprize.org/nomination/nomination_facts.html

He may have been nominated and just not won.. We do not know.

Last edited by kawelch : 04-11-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added citation
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Inventor Freak
AKA: Jay
FRC #0662 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Alumni

JasJ002 is a jewel in the roughJasJ002 is a jewel in the roughJasJ002 is a jewel in the roughJasJ002 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to JasJ002

One thing about the Segway a lot of people don't know about was that it's original intention was to be a system capable of giving handicaped people the ability to be more meanuverable, granted the "normal" segway has gotten a lot more press.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Go VOLS!!
AKA: Budda648
no team (QC Elite)
Team Role: Alumni

Jeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeremiah Johnson Send a message via MSN to Jeremiah Johnson

When FIRST inspires over one million high school students in 50% of all countries, he may be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize. I think Woodie Flowers should share in the recognition, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasJ002 View Post
One thing about the Segway a lot of people don't know about was that it's original intention was to be a system capable of giving handicaped people the ability to be more meanuverable, granted the "normal" segway has gotten a lot more press.
This is why I LOVE the Segway, yet I DISLIKE the use of it.

XBOX Live Gamertag = theVelvetLie
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM
General Manager
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Erin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Erin Rapacki

Funny that nobody has mentioned his iBOT wheelchair yet. The iBOT is far more fantastic than the Segway (I've ridden both for many hours each), and its out there helping people right now.

However, as for a Nobel Prize... its not impossible for FIRST people to find a way to nominate him. As for winning, that's up to the committee.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasJ002 View Post
I think you've got the Segway and ibot confused. The ibot wheelchair was designed for handicapped to be able to navigate landscapes that they normally can't (quick example, stairs). The segway was supposed to "revolutionize personal travel".
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
I think you've got the Segway and ibot confused. The ibot wheelchair was designed for handicapped to be able to navigate landscapes that they normally can't (quick example, stairs). The segway was supposed to "revolutionize personal travel".
More likely Jay has some knowledge of the early development stages. It is true some of Dean's earliest patent publications in this area (PCT applications dated more than ten years ago) describe mobility benefits for the disabled and depict embodiments that strongly resemble what later came to be called a Segway, in addition to some that strongly resemble what later came to be called an iBot.

The claims/goals related to revolutionizing personal travel were part of the wildly overblown "IT" publicity campaign, several years later.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: