Go to Post Don't date anyone on your team unless you are POSITVE that you will be able to handle yourself professionally, not only during your relationship, but even after it ends. - Jaine Perotti [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sad Sad day for FIRST.....RIP Mike Wade

There's a grief that can't be spoken, there's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables…now my friends are dead and gone
Here they talked of revolution, here it was they lit the flame
Here they sang about tomorrow, but tomorrow never came.
From the table in the corner, they could see a world reborn.
And they rose with voices ringing, and I can hear them now!
The very words that they had sung became their last Communion on the lowly barricade…at dawn…
Oh my friends, my friends forgive me, that I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken…there's a pain goes on and on.
Phantom faces at the window, phantom shadows on the floor!
Empty chairs at empty tables, where my friends will meet no more.
Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me what your sacrifice was for!
Empty chairs at empty tables, where my friends will sing no more...

From the ABC Cafe, the ghosts of the barricade await, Mr. Wade. Be honored.

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

The FIRST community will be mourning this great loss. Mike Wade was a pillar of support in FIRST. He had a positive impact on so many people.

This is truly a sad day.

Peace be with the Wade family and all who were close to him.

Andy B.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Achievement through enthusiasm
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Wade was a man of tremendous class and integrity, completely dedicated to the FIRST community. He will be missed by all, and the impact had on everyone he touched will never be forgotten.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited by Karthik : 05-12-2007 at 07:46 PM.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:03 PM
AKA: Anish
FRC #1123 (Autodidactic Intelligent Minors)

Rookie Year: 2005
aksimhal is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aksimhal

I've met Mr. Wade at almost all the FIRST events I have attended, and he has always been willing to help us with a smile. On behalf of Team 1123 and myself, We would like to extend our greatest condolences to Mr. Wade's family.

Sincerely,

Anish Simhal
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

This is a terrible lose for the FIRST community. My thoughts are with Mike's family and friends. His efforts to help FIRST and support NASAs education programs is gigantic, and he will be missed. I don't know what to say.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Rarely have I met someone that was more concerned with the welfare of others, more willing to tackle any problem, and more graceful under pressure than Mike. The contributions that he made to NASA and to FIRST are too numerous to list. Yet he was perpetually unassuming, preferring to remain out of the limelight. Given the choice, he would much rather be in the machine shop in the back room than out in front with the crowds. It was behind the scenes that he thought he made his greatest contribution, and where he thoroughly enjoyed working with every team that he could. He will be missed more than any of us can imagine.

Plans are being made by Mike's family, and will be detailed in the local papers on Tuesday. Keep an eye on the Baltimore Sun for information regarding the services being planned for Thursday and Friday.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Engineering Tech
FRC #0122 (NASA Knights)

Rookie Year: 1997
D.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of light

I am shocked as well to hear this news of Mike Wade's passing, he was always so friendly, completely dedicated to making the FIRST off season events run smoothly (as well as countless other FIRST related tasks). He gave me a preview tour of his machine shop trailer last January at Goddard Space Flight Center, he was certainly prepared to work where ever he went. On behalf of Team 122 and myself, I would like to send deeply felt condolences to Mikes family and friends.

Dave Fahringer
Team 122
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I Am The Robot
AKA: Ashley Marshall Aka Sharpie
FRC #0102 (Gearheads)

Rookie Year: 2000
Athleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond reputeAthleticgirl389 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Athleticgirl389 Send a message via MSN to Athleticgirl389 Send a message via Yahoo to Athleticgirl389

On behalf of the Team 102 - this is a huge loss. Even though I did not have the privledge of meeting Mike Wade in person, it is still a great loss to the whole FIRST community I'm sure everyone will take away at least one thing that Mike Wade has taught them over the years.

May Mike Wade rest in peace
2009: New Jersey Regional Quarter Finalist. SBPLI Long Island Semi-Finalist, Motorola Quality Award. Newton Division Semi-Finalist (2970 & 33), BR^2 Champion (With 2793 & 136) & Highest Scoring Match Award
2008: New Jersey Regional Quarter Finalist, Judges Award (Innovative Financial Management). SBPLI Long Island Regional Winner (With 2487 & 2010), Entrepreneurship Award. Fastest Robot In The World
2007: SBPLI Long Island Engineering Inspiration Award Winners
2006: SBPLI Long Island General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners, Brunswick Eruption Champions
2004: New Jersey Regional Motorola Quality Award
2003: J&J Mid-Atlantic Regional Winners
2000: National Finalists
1999: Mid-Atlantic Regional Regional Finalist
Team 102

"Teamwork Is The Fuel That Allows Common People To Accomplish Uncommon Results." - Jeff Gordon
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
falling can be fun
AKA: Heidi Foster
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 2001
MissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond repute

I first met Mike when I sought him out to thank him for providing his playing field at an event long ago (Maryland State Fair, I believe) and I met this great, humble, constantly smiling man. He seemed flustered at being thanked, as though he didn't think thanks was needed for doing something he loved so much.

He will be greatly missed.

Heidi
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

Today when I heard this news I was extremely shocked and I am still very upset over this but the best way for me to describe Mike to people who don't know him would be through my experience.

In fall of 2001 as a senior in High school I started team 768. When the team founded we had no funds or ideas of what we were getting ourselves into, but we were going to try anyway. As the deadline for payment approached we had no way to fund the team, enter Mike Wade. Mike made a decision to help us out, a decision which has changed my life.

Without the faith of a stranger at the time, myself and team 768 would have never joined FIRST. It is through FIRST that I met some fellow college students which convinced me to attend RIT for engineering. That following summer at the Maryland state fair I really got a chance to meet Mike and learn what FIRST was all about, this made me want to continue on as a team mentor and volenteer. Also through FIRST I have gotten internships, made life long friends, and found an outlet which is both challenging and meaningful. Looking back I can not even fathom where I would be today; in school, life, friends, etc; If Mike Wade had not taken a chance on a cocky High school senior whom he had never met.

Mike I just wish I could tell you how much you have changed my life, and know that you will be missed and though about in my mind forever.

Greg Needel
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
... more like a temperate breeze
AKA: Chris Gregory
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2003
galewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to galewind

As a guest team announcer at Brunswick Eruption last year, I had an opportunity to talk with Mike a lot about his field, and he was very eager to teach about how he used the different technologies he utilized (between the labview software and the radio setup) and how the field worked. It was that sort of enthusiasm that made Mike Wade a model figure of the FIRST community.

At a couple of New Jersey Regional events, I stopped back to the machine shop in the pit just to say hello. He was a very giving individual, always eager to help and share with others. His professionalism and care surpassed mostly everyone I know.

When I got the phone call today, I was quite taken aback, and it took me a few minutes to even process how much of FIRST has been impacted by Mike Wade's heart, hands, and mind. I'm sure that for each example that came into my mind, there were five or six that I was never aware of.

Not only will Mike Wade be missed for his contributions to FIRST, but for the tremendous person that he was.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:06 PM
probably needs a new WAI
FRC #0075 (RoboRaiders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Rohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rohith Surampudi

On Behalf of Team 75, we'd like to extend our prayers and thoughts to Mr.Wade's family, He was one of the most remarkable people Ive ever met, and was a huge asset to the FIRST community, May He Rest In Peace....
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick

Mike, you will certainly be missed.
This is such a loss to the FIRST community, especially after all the wonderful thing Mike did for everyone.
Condolences,
Sara

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Observer
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
Zyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond reputeZyik has a reputation beyond repute

I never met the man, yet from all I have read, I would say that he was a great person. You really have to be a wonderful person to be missed by those who never met you. I'm sorry for all of you who knew him better then I for your loss.
-Lucy
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:32 PM
i heart infrared
AKA: Neil Parikh
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
nparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nparikh Send a message via MSN to nparikh Send a message via Skype™ to nparikh

I met Mike on several occasions as he always made sure we had a field for Brunswick Eruption. His tireless dedication, enthusiasm, and love of FIRST was infectious. I still remember being amazed after having gone out to dinner with him after BE. What an experience.

He will truly be missed. Like Dave said, Mike found his home making sure things worked behind the scenes, away from the limelight, but that in itself makes him an unsung hero in the purest sense.

Team 25 Alumnus
Attending: NJ Regional, Boston Regional, the Championship Event

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: