Go to Post I know what you mean, but swerve drive is NEVER necessary. - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Worry is a poor use of Imagination
AKA: Cynette Cavaliere
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Cynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Cynette Send a message via AIM to Cynette
2007 Indy 500 - Who is going and who will be watching?

Less than two weeks until the Indy 500! Who will be at the track and who will be watching from home?

We are finalizing our travel plans and should be at the track in the Penthouse Paddock along pit row!

We don't get much of the pre-race hype out here in Western NY so I'd love to hear predictions - who is going to take the pole and who is going to win?
Rolling Thunder, Team 1511: The Thunder just keeps getting louder!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Re: 2007 Indy 500 - Who is going and who will be watching?

I won't be going to the race, but I did get a chance to go to a practice session last Wednesday. We had garage and pit passes, so that was cool.

This is probably the deepest field of drivers for the Indy 500 since the CART/IRL split back in the early 90's. The Ganassi and Penske teams look very strong, with Rahal / Letterman (R/L) giving them a run for their money.

I would like to see Scott Sharp win. This year, he seems to have another good ride and crew. He is in the R/L stable.

During last week's visit, I saw some interesting things.

Along pit row, each team has about 5-6 laptops assembled onto a computer kiosk. I suppose that most of these laptops are monitoring car performance, while 1 or 2 may be watching weather. Each pit had their own Honda engine guy glued to his own laptop, monitoring engine performance.

Also, there were Firestone guys monitoring wheel usage on each driver's car. From what I heard, each driver gets 35 sets of tires for the entire month of May at Indy. Those tires are assigned to that driver, and they cannot share, even among team members. Each tire has its own bar code, and some cool screen-printed graphics on the sidewall. Also, the Firestone guy was reading tire temp after each car would come in for adjustments. These are new tires for Indy, and I heard that they were fine tuned by Tony Kanaan's team last fall. He said that they were perfect, and Firestone agreed.

In the garage, it was interesting seeing teams and cars go through inspections. Being a long-time FIRST robot inspector, I found inspecting Indy cars interesting. There were 2 main types: tech inspection and safety inspection.

Tech inspection took place in a garage bay. The crew would push the car into the bay, up on this 80/20-looking structure. They would use custom calipers (about 6 feet wide), gauge finders and feelers to check various dimensions of the car frame and body. There were about 6-7 official inspectors looking at each car. Bar codes seemed to be on many of the parts they were looking at, and they had a portable reader scanning the codes.

Safety inspection was just as interesting. The stuff that the driver sits in and around is impressive. The tub, the form-fitting foam stuff, the neck support... all of this stuff could easily be pulled out, bar code scanned, and checked. The 2 inspections we saw included the driver and the sponsors (probably) standing next to the car as the crew and safety inspectors removed panels and parts to get to what they wanted to see. It seemed to be a casual affair with little pressure.

Some drivers and owners (and other important people) seem more approachable than others. I saw Chip Ganassi hanging out with his crew, and casually signing autographs to spectators. Al Unser was driving around on a golf cart, in a hurry all the time. Vitor Miera was hanging out, chatting with fans. Al Unser Jr. seemed casual and relaxed. Davey Hamilton, who is back after a nasty wreck 6 years ago, seemed to be VERY happy to be there, and he has a good ride. Tony George was in his pit on pit row, seeing how he was doing.

It should be a good month of May.

Andy B.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly

I'm guessing that Castroneves will take the pole at 225.817mph.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be there in my FIRST turn seat like always, all day on carb day too.

I'm hoping for a third Andretti in the field.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

I recently received two Indy 500 tickets FREE.
They are in turn 4. Andy Baker, want to go?
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3248 and FRC Team 4500
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Back for more.
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2007
Grant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond reputeGrant Cox has a reputation beyond repute

Eh Indy's not really my thing. NASCAR is where it's at

ThunderChicken driver '07-'08
Robowrangler '13-?

FIRST in Michigan, VEX World Championship, and now Texas MC/Game Announcer '08-?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Worry is a poor use of Imagination
AKA: Cynette Cavaliere
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
Cynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Cynette Send a message via AIM to Cynette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Doenges View Post
I recently received two Indy 500 tickets FREE.
They are in turn 4. Andy Baker, want to go?
Did you win the tickets, or have a very good friend give them to you? Has Andy responded to your offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeForce View Post
Now if an Indy fan said NASCAR was not his thing, them would be fightin' words! (bad grammar intentional) But those of us who prefer Indy Racing are a much more dignified sort. So to each his own! Hey! Pass me another cold one!
Rolling Thunder, Team 1511: The Thunder just keeps getting louder!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 05:27 PM
AKA: 3 Teams in 3 Seasons
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2007
Ericgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud ofEricgehrken has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Ericgehrken Send a message via Yahoo to Ericgehrken

Some amazing Bump Day action as Jimmy Kite tried to bump in with a 214 MPH Average and an aborted run. Looks like PDM will have to wait for next year. Good that Moreno made the field along with Marty Roth. Bump day for some reason is as action packed as pole day.
2010-
2010 Suffield Shakedown Winner Thanks 178 and 177
2010 WPI Regional Rookie All Star
2010 WPI Dean's List Finalist
Team 195 Member 2007-2009
2007 CT Regional Winner Thanks to 1124 and 558
2008 FIRST Presidents Circle Winner
2009 Suffield Shakedown Winner thanks to 126 and 1124
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Real men don't need bumpers to race." -Al Unser Sr.

I have went about four times now this month, and I will be at the beginning of pit road on race day. WooHOO

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:20 PM

Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you win the tickets, or have a very good friend give them to you? Has Andy responded to your offer?
Andy can't go, prior commitment
I'm taking one of our mentors with me.
I received the tickets from a friend of my wife. She is in the Air Guard and was given the tickets. She didn't want to go, so she gave them to me
Quote:
I will be at the beginning of pit road on race day
Which side ot the track will you be Kyle, Infield or outfield
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Support STEM Education

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which side ot the track will you be Kyle, Infield or outfield
I'm on the outside of the track, in stand H.

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
NASCAR is great, but there is nothing like the Indy 500. You have to be there to understand.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Love View Post
I'm on the outside of the track, in stand H.
I'll be in the E stand. Pat and Greigh will be marching in the scout band and sitting in the North Vista.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:16 AM

I'm in the northwest vista
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Support STEM Education

Quote:
I'm in the northwest vista
That's where my seats have been the past 4 years, they are really good.

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: