OCCRA
Go to Post There's more to the game then winning. - Gabriel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Cookie
AKA: Seth Cook
FRC #4272
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
cooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cooker52 Send a message via Skype™ to cooker52
Programming the RCX with MPLab?

I've been wanting to program my RCX without the program it came with. I want to do this because the Robotics Invention System limits me greatly in programming. I don't know how to program the IFI controllers, and I know they are most commonly programmed in C. So, I was wondering if there was a way to program the RCX with the MPLab or EasyC (preferably MPLab) so I could learn how to program more effectively while opening many new possibilities with the RCX. Is anyone able to help me?

“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.” Lance Armstrong

Monocoque, what a beautiful thing.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Team 2021 Captain
AKA: Chris Davidson
FRC #2021 (FA Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
chris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to chris31 Send a message via Skype™ to chris31
Re: Programming the RCX with MPLab?

Check out this Lego site and NQC. You wount be able to use MPlab to program an RCX. Your best option to learn C for the RC is to get a Vex kit or EDU-Bot.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Cookie
FRC #4272

cooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant future

I have the Mindstorms SDK downloaded, but never have been able to get it to communicate through my IR tower.

“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.” Lance Armstrong

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Going full circle
AKA: Josepher
no team (Team WARP)

Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

Try robolab. It has a graphical interface kind of similar to easyC, is specifically made for RCX/NXT use, and is MUCH more powerful than the language LEGO supplies. I've lost the link for where to get it, and will post it when I find it.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-???: Lead Mentor, Team WARP (2015 rookie)

http://wordsaboutrobots.blogspot.com/, the place where I make words about making robots. Updated 7/30.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2007, 06:05 PM
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Jeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond reputeJeff 801 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketperson44 View Post
Try robolab. It has a graphical interface kind of similar to easyC, is specifically made for RCX/NXT use, and is MUCH more powerful than the language LEGO supplies. I've lost the link for where to get it, and will post it when I find it.
i dont think you can get the full version online but here is a demo

RoboLab_demo
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Needs to change his user title.
AKA: Eric Haskins
no team (CARD #6 (SCOE))

EHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to EHaskins Send a message via Skype™ to EHaskins

I've tried NQC and Mindscript(text version of RIS, and available in the SDK), but never found them to be very useful.

I've heard good things about LegOS, but I've never tried it.

If you're really ambitious the Lego byte code for the RCX is fully documented in the SDK, so you could write your own compiler.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Cookie
FRC #4272

I'm going to try the NQC. It looks like a nice program.

Please, keep telling me stuff. I would like to know what all is out there.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:37 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

I've found NQC to be good enough for my usage. The general rule is that if you can't do it in NQC (or Mindscript), you can't do it with the official firmware.

Remember, every programmable brick Lego has made doesn't work with native code; all programs are interpreted. This applies to the RCX, the Scout, the Spybotics controller, and the CyberMaster (somewhat rare). (I'm fairly certain it applies to the NXT, too, but I haven't actually heard.)

My question is, why MPLAB? I could write a better IDE.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303 View Post
I've found NQC to be good enough for my usage. The general rule is that if you can't do it in NQC (or Mindscript), you can't do it with the official firmware.

Remember, every programmable brick Lego has made doesn't work with native code; all programs are interpreted. This applies to the RCX, the Scout, the Spybotics controller, and the CyberMaster (somewhat rare). (I'm fairly certain it applies to the NXT, too, but I haven't actually heard.)

My question is, why MPLAB? I could write a better IDE.
I was wondering if any of these are legal for teams to use for competitions. I hope so, that'd be pretty cool and a lot easier to use for my teams.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
no team (None)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2000
rc616 is on a distinguished road
RCX Programming options

I would have to agree that NQC is most definitely the best mindstorms programming language for most people. While using the same firmware as the GUI Lego language uses limits NQC's power, NQC allows the programmer to get at many features that are otherwise not accessable to RCX code.

If NQC is still not good enough you can always use:
-LegOS, is based of C/C++ and is probably the most compact language, as it runs directly on the RCX processor. However, it is also EXTREMELY difficult to setup/use/compile, from what I've heard.
-pbFORTH, great if you want to program in FORTH...
-LegJOS, a version of Java to run on the RCX. It really is object oriented, and has built in trig/higher math functions. Wish the same could be said for JavaME...
-There is also a way to program the RCX in Visually Basic. But that's just sick.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Cookie
FRC #4272

I've been playing around with the basic program (just controlling motors, no sensors) and I like it pretty well. Thanks you guys!

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Jack-Of-All-Trades
FRC #1391 (Metal Moose)

Dillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud ofDillon Compton has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Dillon Compton

You can also program the RCX using a language known as Interactive C. It is a C-like language that is actually a high-level front for a whole host of assembly level code blocks. It's easy to learn, has decent documentation, and is (relatively) powerful despite its quirks.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Team 11 Programming Captain
AKA: Max T
FRC #0011 (MORT)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
bear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to bear24rw

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMORTteam11xX View Post
I was wondering if any of these are legal for teams to use for competitions. I hope so, that'd be pretty cool and a lot easier to use for my teams.
I think as long as you don't change the firmware its legal.. but that would mean that NQC wouldn't be legal i think dont quote me on that lol
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Needs to change his user title.
AKA: Eric Haskins
no team (CARD #6 (SCOE))

EHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to EHaskins Send a message via Skype™ to EHaskins

If, as bear34rw stated, the only requirement is the original firmware, then NQC would be legal, since it uses the original firmware. The only issue is that last time I checked(2 years ago) they required the RIS or Robolab be used for the code handed in for judging.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Cookie
FRC #4272

Yeah, it would be completly legal. The only firmware I used was the original, although it was burried in the RIS folder. I still have to do some looking for it. It's in there, you just have to look.

Edit: Found the firmware. Here's the path.

C:\Program Files\LEGO MINDSTORMS\RIS 2.0\script\Firmware\firm0328.lgo

That's on my computer, but it should be just about the same on most (unless you installed the RIS in a different area or you have something besides RIS 2.0).

Last edited by cooker52 : 07-29-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: