OCCRA
Go to Post To label hard work as unfair is really a bitter assessment. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2001, 11:31 PM
GET IT ON!!
FRC #0121 (Rhode Warrior)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Kyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Fenton
Are we going to get serious about Dean's gift or was it just hype

I remember a couple of weeks ago we were talking about a gift for Dean. Is it still on, or have we abandon it.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2001, 01:16 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Be Quiet...........! Some of the FIRST people actually pay attention to this forum...!

Actually, I think I started the topic a long time ago (about a few months ago), and we actually got some great suggestions. However, there are no really organized efforts to make it happen.

It's probably because it was still off season back then, so maybe we should discuss this a bit later when more people are back to this forum, and really get something going on. I would like to help out as much as I can, but I can't do everything by myself. It should be a lot of efforts from many teams...

By the way, I am not even sure it's a good idea to show all these discussion to FIRST people. After all, they might ruin the surprise... Maybe we can get Brandon to block them out of this thread.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2001, 01:37 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Think of others, not just Dean

I am not against doing something for Dean.

BUT...

You should first do something for some other people:

Take care of your team leaders and teammates. The people on your team who make sure things happen have much more on a impact. Simple acts of graditude and caring can go a looong way, and they are very appreciated.

Let's give more attention and thanks to the people at FIRST. Sure, Dean started this thing, but the many dedicated people at FIRST are the ones who make it happen from year to year and event to event. Also, they are the ones who deal with our complaints, gripes and suggestions.

I'm sure that with the upcoming revealing of IT and all, Dean will surely get his kudos, and rightly so.

What I'm trying to say is that there are many more people who make opportunities possible for you, and they have more of an impact on you than Dean does.

Put your effort into your Chairman's award ideas and your Woodie Flowers award submission. Show appreciation to your sponsors, parents, teachers and teammates.

Andy B.

ps... Team 45 did something very special for me and my family yesterday, and I very much appreciate it. Things like this keep me going, that's for sure.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2001, 02:02 PM
GET IT ON!!
FRC #0121 (Rhode Warrior)

Kyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Fenton
The only official from FIRST that goes on these boards that I know of is Lori. And I know Lori does not post here often. But however there are many guests once in a while who we don't know who they are. If you want a sub forum that only allows certain members to view the forum.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2001, 08:16 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)
Team Role: Mentor

Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph
I think Andy is right. We should do sumthing that is more for the people that work hard all year long and even harder during the season, not only Dean and/or Woodie. These people deserve alot of credit. Moving along the lines of the photomosaic idea that was going somewhere maybe if we gave not only pictures of robots and whatnot but of people that have helped out through the years. And make it say somthing like thanks with a first logo or somthing?

Andrew
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2001, 10:04 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Focus on Sponsers/Adults......

I believe any team should focus on the great sponsers and adults they have with them....If you think about it we've already given Dean a gift, the gift is that we've made this such a giant success for him by building great robots and teams.....

Just my $.02
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2001, 12:00 AM
Software guy
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Think of others, not just Dean

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Baker
I am not against doing something for Dean.

BUT...

You should first do something for some other people:

Take care of your team leaders and teammates. The people on your team who make sure things happen have much more on a impact. Simple acts of graditude and caring can go a looong way, and they are very appreciated.
I couldn't have said it better myself Andy (but I'll try anyway). I actually thought about posting something similar when Kyle first posted, but I couldn't come up with the right words.

Although Dean and the FIRST organizers are the reason FIRST even exists, the adults on each team are the reason the teams exist. They're the ones who have the real impact on students lives. From the interviews I've see of Dean, I believe he'd agree that the students should thank the adults on their team before they thank him. They are the ones who students look up to. Here's a quote from Dean to illustrate the point: "These kids will now see these engineers & scientists the way they see Michael Jordan. They'll think 'this is accessable, this is desirable, I want to be able to do this, and these are my heroes and I can do this.' "

While I think that a gift or giant "thank you" to Dean or FIRST is a great idea, you should first thank the leaders, engineers, teachers, and other various adults on your team. Thanking the adults for their time and letting them know how much of an impact they've had on your lives is an excellent gift. I know.

But of course if any students on 111 read this a big expensive gift is much better

BTW, what did your team do for you Andy?

Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: