Go to Post FIRST is not the party- its the people. We can have a great competition no matter where we hold it. - Wayne C. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
It isnt about bots,its about humans
AKA: Liron Gurvitz
FRC #3211 (The Y Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Tottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond repute
baddesigns.com

just a cool website i wanted to share..
http://www.baddesigns.com
2014 Judges Award
Founder of teams 1947 and 2669
My FRC record: 9 Years, twice FTA, 4 Teams and counting. 78 wins, 44 losses, 5 ties as coach.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Hmm..now what?
FRC #1138 (Eagle Engineering)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Jeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff K. Send a message via MSN to Jeff K.
Re: baddesigns.com

That's pretty funny, though some of the things are just ridiculous.

http://www.baddesigns.com/rstdoor.html

That place looks similar to this restaurant in Oregon. They had a pretty big sign on the inside of the door. We got a chuckle out of seeing that, but it was a nice Thai restaurant.

Last edited by Jeff K. : 08-23-2007 at 10:48 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm right here
AKA: sparksandtabs
FRC #0340 (GRR)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
John Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to John Gutmann Send a message via MSN to John Gutmann Send a message via Yahoo to John Gutmann

That guy relates alot of the stuff to himself. Like he had to push a door instead of pull it. If he really keeps pulling it then maybe he needs to get common sense instead of complaining about it. The tooth paste one is the same way. Even if you don't know that it is on the cap to piece the seal wouldn't you assume they give you the tool to do it? He needs some common sense.

I should make a website named reallystupidpeople.com I can say why the people are stupid and who they should replace these people with. Perhaps my #1 will be George Bush, or Perhaps it is all of congress....

-John
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2007, 01:15 AM
AKA: Lohit
FRC #0226 (Hammerhead)
Team Role: Alumni

6600gt is a jewel in the rough6600gt is a jewel in the rough6600gt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gutmann View Post
I should make a website named reallystupidpeople.com I can say why the people are stupid and who they should replace these people with. Perhaps my #1 will be George Bush, or Perhaps it is all of congress....

-John
Amen to that!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gutmann View Post
That guy relates alot of the stuff to himself. Like he had to push a door instead of pull it. If he really keeps pulling it then maybe he needs to get common sense instead of complaining about it.
If you get a chance, read The Design of Everyday Things by John Allen Paulos. Common sense says that something with a bar-shaped handle is made to be grasped and pulled. Pushing, on the other hand, is a natural response to a flat plate. Nearly everything I saw on the baddesigns web site violates a fundamental usability principle, and if common sense had been applied to the design, the problems would not occur.

Did you notice the picture of the doors he was complaining about? The first needed to be pulled, and presented the appropriate handle shape. The second had exactly the same handle, but needed to be pushed instead. The problem is definitely with the doors, not with the person.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:39 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

I understand many of the points, though I can't say I agree with most of them. The right turn traffic light... There's left turn lights like that as well. Mostly, though, I was terribly dismayed by that restaurant door one. Is he suggesting all doors should be glass? ANY non glass/windowed door is a chance to get whacked. Most of us just open them slowly by default and approach them with slight caution. Declaring all opaque doors bad design just seems silly.

Mostly, I'm annoyed because he's quite quite obviously only considering the design from the approach of making it absolutely brainless to use, etc. Many of the design decisions he's so obviously annoyed with were just as obviously made for cost or other reasons.

And the one complaining about car window buttons lifting up? Yeah, that's a highly important safety feature on modern cars to keep kids from choking to death, and I think they work rather well.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2007, 05:14 PM
AKA: Chris Werner
FRC #0190 (Gompei & the HERD)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
WernerNYK is a jewel in the roughWernerNYK is a jewel in the roughWernerNYK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to WernerNYK

We used that website and that book (Design of Everyday Things) in a DFM (Design for Manufacturability) grad class that I took last year. We thought it was funny that one of the worst designs on that website is the website itself. Absolutely awful!

Team 190 - WPI & Mass Academy
Est. 1992!

Team 871 - Former team leader

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: