OCCRA
Go to Post When the going gets tough, the smart keep their GP. - Libby K [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2001, 03:34 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler
Odd Email...

Has anyone else recieved a few emails containing the subject line, "First stands for For Inspiration and Recognition in Science and Technology"????

I received a few of these in my hotmail account, coming from an email address "Engineering"<engineering@bemcor.com>

If you get this, it has an attached DOC file, or what looks like a doc file..... its a virus (W32/SirCam@MM Virus) .. so dont' download it.

Odd... just wondering if anyone else got this.

Tom
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2001, 04:12 PM
GET IT ON!!
FRC #0121 (Rhode Warrior)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Kyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Fenton
bemcor.com

Is there anyboy familar with Bemcor. It looks like it seels heavy machine equipment. What is very intresting that it has a link in the "other links" that has a link to FIRST and to Beatty (Team 71). Weird?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2001, 04:24 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler
i just got a few more... the subjects weren't FIRST related, but they all had a DOC file and hte virus... same address though... wierd
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2001, 07:36 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
W32/SirCam@MM Virus Information

With my new job working as tech support for an ISP, I've actually seen a lot of this virus being sent to the customers lately. Here's some more info that I found at http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99141

Name: W32/SirCam@MM
Risk Assessment: High

Spreads Via: E-Mail
This mass-mailing virus attempts to send itself and local documents to all users found in the Windows Address Book and email addresses found in temporary Internet cached files (web browser cache).

Attached to the e-mail will be a document with a double extension (the filename varies). The document is the virus itself, with an appended file found in the My Documents folder. For example, if the virus found a file named "FIRST General Info.doc" in the My Documents file, a possible file name that it would send would be "FIRST General Info.doc.bat" Files with the second extension of .com, .exe, .lnk, and .pif are also possible(basically anything that Windows will try to run.)

Aside from e-mail overloading, it might delete files on October 16 and/or fill up hard disk space by adding text entries over and over again to a sircam recycle bin file.

That's just a quick summary, look at the URL above for the whole story...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-01-2001, 11:14 AM
Woodie Flowers Award
#0071 (Team Hammond)

Bill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond repute
Virus Alert!

Virus Alert!

Bemcor is a subsidiary of the Beatty Companies and has been very involved with our robot building. Evidently a virus has gotton into our network, as it sent four messages to me and my son Brian's personal Email addresses. I do not know how it spread to some of you, but it appears to be pretty tenacious. Our apologies to all of you.

Bill Beatty
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2001, 01:30 PM
AKA: James Watts
None #0524 (Aplpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Amadkow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
One thing we might want to do is if we get an e-mail that is from an infected computer send an e-mail to the sender telling them that their computer is infected and give them a link to a website with information about the virus.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2001, 02:53 PM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
today i got my 71st copy of this virus... im on everyones crap mailing list i guess

My quarantine is getting full... 96 un-removable viruses- maybe its time for a good old format.

Greg
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2001, 11:21 AM
Woodie Flowers Award
#0071 (Team Hammond)

Bill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond reputeBill Beatty has a reputation beyond repute
Virus Update

This virus got into our LAN that covers both Beatty Machine and Bemcor. We discovered it over the holiday weekend. We do not believe that we spread any additional messages after Tues. morning. It took us three days to dismantle the lan and clean each user before reconnecting to the lan and Internet. When we reconnected, the virus was immediately received back to us, because many folks in our address books also had our addresses in them. As we receive virus messages back, we advise those users of the virus.

Evidently our virus software was out dated and I find that some of our users had disabled it because they felt it slowed them up. We now have the latest version of Norton on all of our equipment and it seems to be doing a good job. Again, our apologies.

Bill Beatty
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2001, 01:10 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
I'm glad to hear that is cleared up. And since the topic of email viruses is up, I wanted to let evryone know that there is one going around with the subject pretaining to family pictures. I've gotten it a couple times from different addresses.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2001, 06:36 PM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
im at 74 now

Greg
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2001, 12:47 AM
AKA: James Watts
None #0524 (Aplpha Omega)
Team Role: Alumni

Amadkow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Amadkow Send a message via AIM to Amadkow Send a message via Yahoo to Amadkow
here is a fairly good website for keeping track of the latest computer viruses out

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: