OCCRA
Go to Post It's like FIRST saying "Well it was too hard, so we give up. Lets give the kids something easier to do." How is that supposed to inspire kids? - Mike [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > CD Forum Support
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Do you want to be given a title based on the number of posts you have?
Yes 29 61.70%
No 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2001, 07:21 PM
Programmer/Driver 2001-2004
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Jay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to all
Question User Titles

Ok, it seems like the user titles are quite a hot topic and there is some disagreement, so lets see who comes out on top in this poll.

Personally, I say yes even though last year I only tallied about 35 posts.

Last edited by Jay Lundy : 06-02-2001 at 07:26 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2001, 08:14 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Exclamation my last thought about titles

I personally do not care much about raising my status in this place, especially with the number of post. This is a place for people to share ideas and experience, so that we can all benefit from the knowledge flowing around this website.

I see posting high number of messages for a big reputation as meaningless and waste of everyone's time. I don't even think people should really care about their status in this forum. People should be too engaged in discussions and the competition that they won't have time for high number. If you have all the energy and ego, why don't you spend them on the robot?

Now, about the stats itself, I have nothing against that. I personally enjoy to see how people use this forum, and stats will tell us some of the behaviors of people. I even enjoy people playing around with numbers and make fun of certain FIRST-a-holics for posting too much in this place...

I remember back at last season the top people who posted the most are Anton, myself, Dr. Joe, Jessica Boucher, and Matt Leese. I can tell you that none of us have top number of posting because we want a high stat and a big reputation. We all have something to share to the rest of the group, and we weren't afraid to say it. We were only trying to get/give as much out of/into this place as we can.

Stats should only be side numbers that add a taste to this place, not a measure of success or anything like that...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-02-2001, 08:29 PM
Programmer/Driver 2001-2004
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to all
Re: my last thought about titles

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Leung
Now, about the stats itself, I have nothing against that. I personally enjoy to see how people use this forum, and stats will tell us some of the behaviors of people. Stats should only be side numbers that add a taste to this place, not a measure of success or anything like that...
That's exactly how I feel. Last year, I was new to the forums I wasn't able to tell who had posted a lot, but it would have helped to know because these people are usually the ones most willing to help people out.

Quote:
I see posting high number of messages for a big reputation as meaningless and waste of everyone's time. I don't even think people should really care about their status in this forum. People should be too engaged in discussions and the competition that they won't have time for high number.
About the people who post randomly to increase their status, I mentioned this in another post but if you notice at the bottom right of each post there is a link that says "Report this post to a moderator". There should be consequences (not too harsh though) for someone who does this so no one attempts to. I am for the titles, but I do think we should crack down on random posters if they repeatedly make random posts.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-03-2001, 04:20 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Re: Re: my last thought about titles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lundy

{snip}
...but I do think we should crack down on random posters if they repeatedly make random posts.

Yep.
With one click of a button I can reset the # of posts on any user, so just report any misuse and it will be dealt with.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2001, 07:02 PM
AKA: Angela (Hall) Leese
FRC #3455 (Carpe Robotum)

A. Leese has a spectacular aura aboutA. Leese has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: my last thought about titles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lundy

That's exactly how I feel. Last year, I was new to the forums I wasn't able to tell who had posted a lot, but it would have helped to know because these people are usually the ones most willing to help people out.
What Jay said is very true..being able to see how often someone has posted is very helpful. Before I just kinda had to assume who the people were who were most envolved. Several times I randomly would IM people, asking them questions, thinking they were the move involved FIRSTers, only to find out they weren't. Then again, how many posts doesn't necessarily determine how involved you are in FIRST..just how much time you're willing to spend posting.

~Angela
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2001, 07:32 PM
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Engineer

Justin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Ridley
I wanted to give my opinion on this one. I think having the titles, or the top ten list in general is kinda pointless. I know that some people will post just for the sake of posting, and with the growing number of people on this forum, that can be a waste of time. Post as much as you like, as long as there is a purpose and your not just posting to get a different title under your name or get a higher "ranking" in the list.

Justin
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2001, 11:42 PM
Half the JVN,All theTaste
no team
Team Role: College Student

Pamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pamela
I feel that putting "rankings" based on your number of posts on these boards would be a bad idea. It would make the site even more intimidating then it already is. When I see how many posts people have I feel intimidated that my opinion is not of as much value as theirs because I have less time/things to post about. When I am scared my opinion won't matter I then don't post. If people had ranks it would be even crazier and make people more scared to post. I think I'm rambling.... so I'll stop now.....
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2001, 11:54 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Noone should feel intimidated by the number of posts you have. I don't care if you have 2 posts of 200 posts, you put your idea out I will listen to it. I usta not post a lot until I got comfortable with it. Now I post all the time (prolly too much ) So, if you have something to say, say it.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner

Last edited by David Kelly : 06-16-2001 at 11:59 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2001, 09:55 AM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
i dont know what other people do, but i read every single post (ok, so i dont have a life, whats youre point...) and i dont generally look at the little counter saying how many times a person whos post im reading has posted. ill look at the box with their name and picture and other information, but i almost never bother looking past name, team, role.

and as far as not posting because you dont think youre opinion is good enough: thats just rediculous. look at me: im a so-so student at best, gonna be a senior and while ill probably get in to a college somewhere, i have no idea where itll be because my grades are too low for me to count on any schools. ive been with first for just about a year now...(my first first thing ever was mayham on the merrimack 2000...all my friends were on the rambots and went, so i decided to go see what it was all about and then i was hooked)...i am lacking in knowledge about technical stuff and all that (id say at least 1/2 of what is discussed in the tech forum goes way over my head...but i still read it and post there anyways)...and i post in these forums constantly...so look at me and ask me how my opinion could possible be more valuable then youre...or how any person's opinion could possible be more valuable then any other person's opinion...just dont be shy: say what you want to say (and more, if youre so inclined...) its not like we have something better to do

***ninny pride***
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2001, 06:22 PM
no team

Bill Whitley is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Bill Whitley
different counts?

Is it possible to have different counts for each forum? IE, 10 posts in tech forum puts you to next level in tech forum. 50 posts in chit chat takes you to next level in chit chat.

Bill Whitley
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2001, 11:06 AM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: different counts?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Whitley
Is it possible to have different counts for each forum? IE, 10 posts in tech forum puts you to next level in tech forum. 50 posts in chit chat takes you to next level in chit chat.

Bill Whitley
That might make it a little too crazy.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2001, 02:18 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
it would clutter and confuse, and probably slow the site down to have it do that i think...if it can even be done...of course, i could be wrong too

***ninny pride***
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2001, 02:47 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Originally posted by mike o'leary
it would clutter and confuse, and probably slow the site down to have it do that i think...if it can even be done...of course, i could be wrong too
I could code it, but I don't think its worth the time & hassle to do all that just for user titles that really don't mean that much.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2001, 09:07 PM
AKA: Mike
#0088 (TJ²)

mpking is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mpking
Code it?

That'd be some pretty impressive coding. Seriously I think it would cause more problems than the benifits it would give.

Wohoo! only 65 more posts to reach frequent contributer!

At my current rate of 3/4 a post a day, that could be a while. :-)
The Home of Moe

Last edited by mpking : 06-19-2001 at 09:10 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2001, 10:23 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

65?

do you mean 35? (frequent contributer=50 posts)

***ninny pride***

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: