OCCRA
Go to Post This is a high-energy sporting event, not a piano recital. :) - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization > Fundraising
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
The Blue Alliance Staff / 177 Alum
no team (TBA / Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Chris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond reputeChris Marra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Marra
School Administration - Halo 3

So I will try to keep this short - my team knows me for long-winded emails.

Based upon the success of our own in-team game nights, and other teams' efforts at gaming based fundraisers, we decided to morph our informal nights of Super Smash Brothers into a full scale Epic Video Game Extravaganzafest (search for it on facebook - thats the actual name). Of course, we also decided that Halo 3 was by far the most popular game around today, and no event would be complete without a full tournament. Currently, we are in the process of getting administrative approval specifically to allow us to have M-rated content, because that is the main issue, and Halo 3 is the only drawback. Here's what we have already planned to appease the administration and parents:
  • Police Officer(s) on site at event (They wanted to play)
  • Lots of Teachers chaperoning the event (They really wanted to play)
  • Every student must have a signed parental permission slip to get in (OK, so the parents don't want to play as much as the first two bullet points)
  • Alumni of SWHS and Bobcat Robotics would have to present a student ID & Driver's License

As confident as I can be that I sold the concept of NHS hours, money for more of our team to go to (Inter)Nationals, and generally an epic night of tons of fun to my principal, he further liked my plan of getting in contact with other schools who have done this. And so I turn to CD. I already PM'd team 701's mentor, Doug, who was responsible for their Halo tournament, as well as a few other people, but I wanted to get as many contacts as I could of people who have pulled off M-rated content. So, If you, your team, or a team you know of has successfully tackled the M-rated problem presented by a school bureaucracy, please get in contact with me. It would be best to reach me at bobcatrobotics@gmail.com, because I bet I'm not supposed to post my principals email address here. If anyone (preferably adults, I'm sure you understand), has a story to tell, it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Chris Marra
(psst. I hear there is a new TBA episode coming out soon, even if it is not quite the holiday special style I was hoping for (stop after 1:30 to keep it G-rated))
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I can program the future...
AKA: Don
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
Robostang 548 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Robostang 548 Send a message via MSN to Robostang 548 Send a message via Yahoo to Robostang 548
Re: School Administration - Halo 3

Our school has never really had a problem with the whole M-rated thing. My team has never tried a game night but our school has an gaming club with xbox's and copies of halo paid for by the club. We're in the library every Thursday and usually the most popular games that are being played are games like Halo and Gears of War. Its open door. I don't know if the issue has been tackled at our school or if the administration just doesn’t realize that these games hold these ratings but we've been playing these games since the gaming club was founded long before I attended NHS.

-Don

Team 548:
Attending National Championship, Genesee District, Detroit District 2, West Michigan District, Michigan Championship?

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
AKA: Sarah Bentley
FRC #0016 (Bomb Squad)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
SnareDrummer37 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to SnareDrummer37 Send a message via AIM to SnareDrummer37 Send a message via MSN to SnareDrummer37 Send a message via Yahoo to SnareDrummer37
Re: School Administration - Halo 3

We've held a couple Halo 2 competitions at our school in the past... I'm pretty sure the school didn't have a problem with it. Is Halo 2 rated M? I don't even know. I never looked... Ehh... That probably didn't help at all. But, if you want me to look into it further, I'll let you know how we went about organizing the whole thing...
2006 St. Louis Regional Finalist
2007 Greater Kansas City Regional Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award
2007 Lone Star Regional Judges’ Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: