OCCRA
Go to Post I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we have to displace objects and/or robots in order to score points. - pfreivald [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science > NASA Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:20 AM
FiM Volunteer
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Pat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pat McCarthy Send a message via Skype™ to Pat McCarthy
Shuttle Landings

I'm planning on being in Titusville, FL at the time of the scheduled upcoming Shuttle landing (Dec. 17).
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good locations to view a landing. Or at least let me know which of the suggested viewing sites on this page are really good ones.

Thanks in advance!
2008 Volunteering: WMR Planning Committee, WMR Scorekeeper, MARC Ref, IRI Scorekeeping, WMRI Scorekeeping & DJ
2009 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2010 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2011 Volunteering: Waterford District, West Michigan District, MARC, & IRI DJ
2012 Volunteering: Waterford District, West Michigan District DJ
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Impossible to rain on my parade.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Barry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Barry Bonzack Send a message via Skype™ to Barry Bonzack
Re: Shuttle Landings

Viewing a launch and viewing a landing are two different animals. A launch you can see just about anywhere, even 4 hours away. As for a landing, I have yet to physically see the orbiter when it is landing, and I work at the Astronaut Hall of Fame. Your best bet would be Along the Indian River on U.S. Highway 1, especially in Titusville. There is a McDonalds near the end of Colonial (US 50) and US 1. As I remember there are some other parking lot areas up against the Indian River. You are going to look across the river and see a white building (hanger) just to the left of the Vehicle Assembly Building. This is near the beginning (or end depending on which direction the orbiter will be landing that day) of the runway. Even if you do not get to see it, I encourage going over there anyway. The two sonic booms sound like cannons.

I am not entirely sure if I will have left town by that point or not, but let me know if you need a free place to stay.

Jan 12, Emceeing at FTC at University High School
Jan 26, Emceeing FTC Pinellas League Championship Seminole High School in Tampa
Feb 2, Emceeing FTC Tesla League Championship at Cocoa Beach High School
Mar 2, Emceeing FTC State Championship at Embry Riddle Aeronautics University in Daytona
Mar 3, Volunteering for FLL State Championship at UCF in Orlando
Mar 7-9, Announcing FRC Orlando regional
Mar 29-30 Announcing FRC South Florida Regional
Apr 24-27 FTC World Championship in St. Louis
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM
FiM Volunteer
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)

Pat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pat McCarthy Send a message via Skype™ to Pat McCarthy

Thanks for the info Barry. My grandparents live in Titusville, so a place to stay isn't a problem.
2008 Volunteering: WMR Planning Committee, WMR Scorekeeper, MARC Ref, IRI Scorekeeping, WMRI Scorekeeping & DJ
2009 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2010 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Impossible to rain on my parade.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Barry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Barry Bonzack Send a message via Skype™ to Barry Bonzack

Just so you know, Atlantis launch is scrubbed until January

Jan 12, Emceeing at FTC at University High School
Jan 26, Emceeing FTC Pinellas League Championship Seminole High School in Tampa
Feb 2, Emceeing FTC Tesla League Championship at Cocoa Beach High School
Mar 2, Emceeing FTC State Championship at Embry Riddle Aeronautics University in Daytona
Mar 3, Volunteering for FLL State Championship at UCF in Orlando
Mar 7-9, Announcing FRC Orlando regional
Mar 29-30 Announcing FRC South Florida Regional
Apr 24-27 FTC World Championship in St. Louis
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
FiM Volunteer
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)

Yep, I know. I wonder how close the 'NASA Up Close' tour gets to the pad.
*Hoping to see the shuttle on the pad*
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
No Problem!
AKA: Jake Classic
FRC #0061 (The Shifters)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2000
SuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SuperJake
Lightbulb Re: Shuttle Landings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCarthy View Post
Yep, I know. I wonder how close the 'NASA Up Close' tour gets to the pad.
*Hoping to see the shuttle on the pad*
I took that tour once before. The closest you get is the old Shuttle Main Engine test stand. It is a little bit closer than the viewing stands - but not by much. The closest pad is the one with the cover-thing on it... where most of the launches take place now (not sure the name of that pad). If you have a camera with a good zoom, you can get some pretty good shots.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: