OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST itself is simply a mechanism, not the real goal. - msd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
  #346   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Game hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3_1565 View Post
I completely agree with this statement. I can see it being a replacement for the camera so that more and more teams can do auto mode (as far as I have heard this thing is easier to program) I can also see it being used for bonus points (end game).

If we end up having a game with invisible pieces or invisable zones or what-not, the crowd will not being nearly as "in to it" as they normally are.
They might make a zone that's visible to the crowd but not visible to the players, or one that's very obscurred for the players (i.e. they can see where their robot is but not what it's picking up)

Quote:
This was discussed in about the first 11 pages. Consensus is that it is legit. The main reason for thinking it isn't is that some teams don't have theirs yet.
Sorry, of course it's legit ... just trying to offer a practical conspiracy theory for the timing and content of the clue.
  #347   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
FRC #3634 (Hard Botties)

Storcky is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure this is possible, but it would be pretty cool for spectators (not really drive teams) if the virtual pieces showed up on the video, but not on the field.

I'm not sure if we have a board yet or not. We should have a meeting tonight to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leav View Post
Official word says that Israeli teams will only get this at the kickoff.....

This should help you on the speculating side I guess... It can't be that critical to send it out early if the ~40 teams here don't et it till the kickoff...

-Leav
How do you know this? I agree that it can't be that important if so many aren't getting it, but knowing that other people have it and we don't yet is driving me crazy!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
They might make a zone that's visible to the crowd but not visible to the players, or one that's very obscurred for the players (i.e. they can see where their robot is but not what it's picking up)
You beat me to it.

Last edited by Storcky : 12-17-2007 at 12:01 PM.
  #348   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Robotics Engineer
AKA: Dane B.
FRC #1425 (Wilsonville Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Sparks333 is a glorious beacon of lightSparks333 is a glorious beacon of lightSparks333 is a glorious beacon of lightSparks333 is a glorious beacon of lightSparks333 is a glorious beacon of lightSparks333 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Sparks333

Looking at the picture, I think this may be a field element. As a sensor for the robot, is really is rather large and bulky - like the camera, but with twice as much space taken up for diagnostics. Secondly, I can't see this being used for homing of any kind whatsoever - there is only one sensor on it, and it doesn't give signal strength, just whether or not it sees something. That doesn't lend itself to differentiation, therefore, no homing. IR homing is a pain anyway, so no real loss. Just my $0.02

I love to take things apart. The fact that they work better when I put them back together it just a bonus.

http://www.ravenblack.net/random/surreal.html
  #349   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks333 View Post
Looking at the picture, I think this may be a field element. As a sensor for the robot, is really is rather large and bulky - like the camera, but with twice as much space taken up for diagnostics. Secondly, I can't see this being used for homing of any kind whatsoever - there is only one sensor on it, and it doesn't give signal strength, just whether or not it sees something. That doesn't lend itself to differentiation, therefore, no homing. IR homing is a pain anyway, so no real loss. Just my $0.02
It's like 3" by 1.5". I don't think it's really that big for putting on the robot. And if it's a field sensor, why hand it out? And where are the transmitters we'll be putting on the robots? Unless the challenge this year is for the robot to punch buttons on a universal remote. In a specific pattern..... Wait. Are we finally being tasked with the holy grail of robotics? Do we get to design robots that will program VCRs and thus end the scourge of blinking "12:00" LEDs in living rooms across the world?

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #350   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Bengineer
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Ben Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik View Post
In my opinion, this isn't going to be useful outside of autonomous mode. Or at least only marginally useful. Why? because if it was exceedingly useful outside of autonomous, it would have to be indicating something on the field that drivers and the audience couldn't see. And any scoring method or game influencing state that's invisible to the audience will drive them absolutely batty and quickly frustrate them. Similarly, I fully expect that whatever this indicates during autonomous mode will be readily apparent to spectators. And thus could be potentially determined by the robot by other means. It's just that those other means are probably going to be a lot more complex and less reliable.
I find it hard to believe that FIRST would go through the trouble of making this component, and then only using it for Autonomous. Here's a little history to prove this.

In '04, our first year with a "targeted" Autonomous, the game was poorly designed and didn't take advantage of this target after autonomous.

In '05, we "could" have used the camera for more than autonomous, but again, the game design didn't lend itself to using it.

In '06, the target was highly used by most successful teams in both autonomous and during the human operated period, and clearly communicated to the audience which team was allowed to score.

In '07, the target was again highly used by most successful teams in autonomous, and was designed to have been used during the game as a scoring aide. I'm not sure how many teams used it outside of autonomous.

In '08? Why would FIRST design a game that only allowed the use of this technology in a finite amount of time? Why wouldn't they want us to use it for the entire match? I think (okay, hope) that they've figured out how to properly integrate this in with the rest of the game. How they may have done that, well, that's their secret for a couple weeks. Whether it requires audience feedback is a different story. I'm wondering if this is going to replace the CMUCamera, or be an addition to it.

BEN
  #351   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:04 PM
User Error.... Recalculating.....
AKA: Linkage Designer :D
FRC #1565 (T3 Think Tank Technologies T3)

T3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to T3_1565

Quote:
And if it's a field sensor, why hand it out?
I believe it's handed out:
a) so you can make your own field (much like the cathodes we got last year) and
b) as a clue, as far as I can tell (I may be completely wrong) the clues for the past couple of years (last year for sure) the clue has been something about the field elements.

Does anyone know where I can find previous years hints/clues???

Last edited by T3_1565 : 12-17-2007 at 01:06 PM.
  #352   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find previous years hints/clues???
An almost complete list.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ighlight=clues

#353   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sishu7 View Post
Don't laugh at me!

My hint is real, told to me by a our regional FIRST co-ordinator. If you don't believe me, fine... it's your loss.

Either you'll eat your words when you see the field, or our co-ordinator is having a great laugh at my expense (which is not really like her...)
In order to know the game before Kickoff, there's a pretty hefty Non Disclosure Agreement that goes along with it. Your Regional Coordinator probably isn't authorized to give hints, as the only meaningful one is from the GDC as a whole (despite the fact that we rip through everything Dave says).

But additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if there was very little on the field. In 2005 the field was a bunch of PVC lengths and some special pieces to fit them together. In 2002 the field was 4 goals on casters and a bunch of soccer balls.

FIRST had a thing for mobile goals for a very long time, and I only got one year of them. I'd kind like it if we got some more to play with (and if the field is relatively empty, that means its possible we will get them).

Last edited by Ian Curtis : 12-17-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Minor Grammar fix
  #354   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's like 3" by 1.5". I don't think it's really that big for putting on the robot. And if it's a field sensor, why hand it out? And where are the transmitters we'll be putting on the robots? Unless the challenge this year is for the robot to punch buttons on a universal remote. In a specific pattern..... Wait. Are we finally being tasked with the holy grail of robotics? Do we get to design robots that will program VCRs and thus end the scourge of blinking "12:00" LEDs in living rooms across the world?
It seems, judging from the code already being passed around and the size, that it could go on the robot to interact with the field.

Now, granted, an IR remote in the stands could get messy--but the documentation I've read seems to indicate you can get other IR receivers for different frequencies beyond those normally used on TV remotes. What if FIRST gave us these to design our robots around, then gave us a board with a different, harder-to-interfere-with receiver component (but the same interface as far as the robot cares) to run on the field?
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #355   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM

T3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock View Post
thanks, seems what I said only applied to last year. please ignore point b. lol

#356   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Forever chasing the 'bot around
AKA: Jacob Rau
FRC #2586

JBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond reputeJBotAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JBotAlan Send a message via Yahoo to JBotAlan Send a message via Skype™ to JBotAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
It seems, judging from the code already being passed around
That code was written by me. I don't even have a hardware part yet. I have received no extra hint, but merely followed the spec sheet assuming this goes on the robot.

The fact that code is being passed around doesn't prove anything, as it's not IFI/FIRST-official code.

Just thought I'd better point that out.

JBot
Former Programming mentor for FRC2586 (Copper Robotics)
Alumni programmer of FRC68 (Truck Town Thunder)
I can help with programming problems. Let me know if you need help. (I don't bite )
  #357   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBotAlan View Post
That code was written by me. I don't even have a hardware part yet. I have received no extra hint, but merely followed the spec sheet assuming this goes on the robot.

The fact that code is being passed around doesn't prove anything, as it's not IFI/FIRST-official code.

Just thought I'd better point that out.

JBot
It may be wise to change the title of your thread to "unofficial FIRST IR Code" or something like that.

Just a thought so if/when there is an official one released, it won't be confused on the boards here.

#358   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Piecuch View Post
In '04, our first year with a "targeted" Autonomous, the game was poorly designed ...
Ouch.

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #359   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Ouch.
uh oh... dave is in the thread

#360   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
uh oh... dave is in the thread
...Again. How is he messing with our minds this time?
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: