OCCRA
Go to Post But, as a mentor I should caution you that FIRST is not about you its about the students. - SomeoneKnows [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  #541   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Whoa! college pilot.
AKA: vivek
FRC #2264 (trojan robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vivek16 Send a message via MSN to vivek16
Re: pic: Game hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizitchell View Post
Polycarbonate isn't opaque to IR
I think...
I can just see robots with polycarbonate "banners" like we had on our robot last year with nylon cloth.

-vivek
  #542   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
With the speculation about RoboLaser Tag, could the response be to shut down for a period after receiving a signal? Is your sensor still unresponsive?
We've tried both before and after cycling the power on the IR board, but get no response whatsoever after the learning sequence ends normally. We tested with more than a dozen different remote manufacturers, including universal remotes.

I'm pretty sure our board is defective, but don't have a way to definitively test or prove it one way or another. We need a board from another local team, to prove the remotes work. The board's learning sequence indicates it likes some remotes, doesn't like others, and was unresponsive only to one old remote (not surprising).
  #543   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Team Captain
FRC #1515 (MorTorq)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
ZachKahn is a jewel in the roughZachKahn is a jewel in the roughZachKahn is a jewel in the roughZachKahn is a jewel in the rough

IR = International Relations? Think about it.

I definitely think the wire is the hint and the sensor is a normal component. The wires are too small to be soldered. The connector wires are a rainbow. Let's follow that rainbow to the pot of gold!!!

*note* A rainbow is in an arc... could this mean a trajectory of a flying object or a round game piece.
MorTorq TV - Our Robotics TV Show

Last edited by ZachKahn : 12-19-2007 at 08:38 PM.
  #544   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:03 PM
FRC Eclipse Plug-in Developer
no team (FRC Eclipse)
Team Role: Programmer

Ryan O is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ryan O

What about having one "control" bot that sends a signal to the other alliance bots, like something to program them or tell them about a certain element on the field?

Even if we haven't got the transmitter yet, remember that last year's hint was only a very small PART of the scoring system...

By the way, we are a team in Southern NH, and we got it today. I don't know about the e-mail, but as far as I can tell it's legit.
  #545   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:03 PM
AKA: kkaboose
FRC #1241 (THEORY 6)
Team Role: Mentor

Kaushal.K is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kaushal.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKahn View Post

I definitely think the wire is the hint and the sensor is a normal component. The wires are too small to be soldered. The connector wires are a rainbow. Let's follow that rainbow to the pot of gold!!!

*note* A rainbow is in an arc... could this mean a trajectory of a flying object or a round game piece.

Well we could be firing something across the "pond".. (pond being the Atlantic Ocean.. one alliance being the "American" side.. the other alliance being the "European" side...) with the possibility of a water (or IR) "obstacle" in the middle/in certain areas... would provide a serious set of risks though (using the water) but oh well..
  #546   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKahn View Post

Or they just used rainbow ribbon cable to make it easier for people when it comes time to crimp pins onto the wire to connect it to the robot controller/whatever output it may go to. On small 20- or 22-gauge wire like that, it's a lot easier to use color coding than to attempt to label individual wires.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #547   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
User Error.... Recalculating.....
AKA: Linkage Designer :D
FRC #1565 (T3 Think Tank Technologies T3)

T3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud ofT3_1565 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to T3_1565

but FIRST is sneaky like that to make you think "hey this wire is a symbol, and then go wait no it isn't" and then BAM it is!

#548   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Ubuntu Linux User
no team
Team Role: College Student

keen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the rough

Just thought I'd let everyone know that after having the board for 1 day... It broke today.

But It's ok, seems that the 5v voltage regulator died. I replaced it, and now it works fine again.

So, if anyone's boards die... check the 5v regulator.
  #549   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:38 PM
FRC #2915 (Riverdale Robotics Pandamonium)
Team Role: Leadership

sishu7 will become famous soon enoughsishu7 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone in the Pacific Northwest received this "gift?" No one from the teams I have spoken to has, and our team certainly has not.

Captain
Fundraiser
Engineer

Coder: "If you run the panda-drive code on the panda-bot, it's not running correctly. I think I need to change the panda-code."
Me: "Umm...I like pandas."
  #550   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2007, 12:52 AM
FRC #2488 (Plasma Pumas)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2008
Anamn3sis is an unknown quantity at this point

My team got it this morning, I'll post hi-res photos for everyone tomorrow when I get a chance to look at it again, and thanks for all the info in this thread

Last edited by Anamn3sis : 12-20-2007 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo
  #551   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)

Rookie Year: 2004
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

We got our chip today and were playing with it. We found it had around a 50' range for us. But with a lens, the range can be extended to well across the length of the playing field. If they will be using the the board as-is, then I don't foresee a target past midfield if a driver/human player were to be using a remote to somehow effect the game.
  #552   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2007, 01:37 AM
VEXpro Engineer
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

AndyB, was that 50ft range with or without the lense. And how did you have that lense setup/what type of lense

VEX Robotics Mechanical Engineer

1625 (2005-2011)
3928 (2012-2013)
148 (2013-?)
  #553   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)

Rookie Year: 2004
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren_Hill View Post
AndyB, was that 50ft range with or without the lense. And how did you have that lense setup/what type of lense
Didn't use a lense... Didn't try a lense. Just saying...
  #554   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kressly View Post
So, I was thinking. Could it be possible even though all rational people might say this game will never happen ... Does IR work underwater? Or more importantly, through an air-water interface? ... sigh ... I was going to sleep over the holidays, now I'm wrapped up in the mayhem too ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
Light does pass through the air water barrier but it bends as it does so.
Bananas bend ...

(whatever that dot means)

Last edited by GaryVoshol : 12-20-2007 at 05:57 AM.
  #555   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
We got our chip today and were playing with it. We found it had around a 50' range for us. But with a lens, the range can be extended to well across the length of the playing field. If they will be using the the board as-is, then I don't foresee a target past midfield if a driver/human player were to be using a remote to somehow effect the game.
The problem with using a lens is that it has a focal length. The further away from that length you are (both closer or farther) the more defocused you get. Any single lens that gives you IR visability across the field will be out of focus up close (and may not be detectable). A zoom lens coupled with an PID circuit could allow you to focus at any length.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: