Go to Post I wanted my team to be rewarded for something they do, not because they do it for the award. - MikePres [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #271   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New C18 3.0+ Compatible FRC Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by comphappy View Post
Red light of death. Code compiles fine. I then go into programming mode open the loader give it the hex file and it attempts of load. The file is loaded in, but the code error light stays solid, reset, same thing. It is not really an issue for me, as I am sticking with the old code (early version of the v3 compiler), but I do not quite get what is going on. Do you want the hex file that i generate?
Make sure you have enabled the timer 4 interrupt in ifi_frc.h. Not doing this will cause the RLOD. Can you zip up your code and send it to me?

-Kevin
  #272   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
AKA: formerly sumadin
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Guy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Guy Davidson Send a message via AIM to Guy Davidson Send a message via MSN to Guy Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Watson View Post
Okay, here is a snapshot of the current build that includes support for encoders and gyro:

http://kevin.org/frc/ifi_frc_beta_4.zip

*Please* help me out and have a look at the code and documentation (start with readme.txt) and provide feedback before I go public with the code on my website, which I'd like to do on Friday or early Saturday. If you can, follow the directions in readme.txt to build the code and test with your encoder(s) and/or gyro and report any problems here. Thanks.

-Kevin
The link is broken. I'll be happy to test beta 4 once I can get my hands on it.

-Guy Davidson
  #273   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumadin View Post
The link is broken. I'll be happy to test beta 4 once I can get my hands on it.

-Guy Davidson
New and edited link on the first page. Or, go to his web site. The full and simple versions are up.

CalGames 2009 Semi Finalist, CalGames 2009 Autonomous Champion Award winner
Sacramento 2010 Creativity in Design winner, Sacramento 2010 Quarter finalist, 2010 Madtown Creative Design Award
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
  #274   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
AKA: Jon Mittelman
FRC #2648 (Infinite Loop)

Rookie Year: 2000
Jon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon236

Kevin,

Now that I enabled the ISR's (grin) everything works fine. No need to include sonar code this year as the MaxBotix sensors have an analog output.

TechnoTicks Mentor 2000-2011
Championship Chairman's Award 2009

Judge and Inspector 2010-2012 Championships
Judge Advisor Tel Aviv Regional 2007-2012
Judge Advisor Pine Tree Regional 2013
Maine Regional Planning Committee
New England District Planning Committee
Lead Inspector Microsoft Tel Aviv Regional 2006-2008
Judge & Lead Inspector GM/Technion Tel Aviv Regional 2006
Judge UTC Hartford Regional 2006

Last edited by Jon236 : 01-22-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Change of plans!
  #275   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM
AKA: Brennan Ashton
FRC #2605 (A2D_16)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
comphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to comphappy

Hmmm i dont know what the issue was, (i did have ISR enabled) I just now recompiled the code and loaded it, no issues. Serial communications issue on the load... I dont know.
  #276   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
FRC #0862

fffxc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, this is my first year doing the programming on my team and we are having a very confusing problem. We are using an unmodified version of Kevin’s 2008 beta code with mplab v8 and c18 v3.1 and the code compiles fine and loads onto the robot fine, and it seems run on the robot, but the robot doesn't react at all. Its equally frustrating because when we load a copy of the 2007 code it works fine. It seems that no one else has had this problem (that I saw), though it seemed that Kevin referenced it in one of his posts.

Quote:
the LEDs are green, but nothing happens
Any help we could get would be much appreciated.
  #277   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
AKA: Brennan Ashton
FRC #2605 (A2D_16)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
comphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to comphappy

With out any code that is going to be hard to help you with, are you in teleop mode? What code do you have in your teleop function?
  #278   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429

Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffxc2 View Post
Hello, this is my first year doing the programming on my team and we are having a very confusing problem. We are using an unmodified version of Kevin’s 2008 beta code with mplab v8 and c18 v3.1 and the code compiles fine and loads onto the robot fine, and it seems run on the robot, but the robot doesn't react at all. Its equally frustrating because when we load a copy of the 2007 code it works fine. It seems that no one else has had this problem (that I saw), though it seemed that Kevin referenced it in one of his posts.

Any help we could get would be much appreciated.
Because I don't know how you have your robot configured, you need to write this code yourself. Just open up teleop.c and scroll down to the teleop() function. Once there, you can map joystick inputs to motor outputs like this:

Code:

// map y-axis of the joystick on operator interface port #1 to the
// motor controlled by the Victor 883 attached to PWM output #1
pwm01 = p1_y;

// map y-axis of the joystick on operator interface port #2 to the
// motor controlled by the Victor 883 attached to PWM output #2
pwm02 = p2_y;
You can also use IFI's default robot code by uncommenting (remove the double slashes) in front of the call to Default_Routine() at the bottom of Teleop(). The code for Default_Routine() is located in ifi_code.c.

-Kevin
  #279   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
RyanN
AKA: Ryan Nazaretian
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)

RyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanN

I'm having a variety of problems, with the new code(http://www.kevin.org/frc/ifi_frc_sensor_30.zip), and the old encoder code (http://www.kevin.org/frc/frc_encoder.zip).

First off, I'll talk about the problems we were having with frc_encoder. When I had MPLAB 7.20 installed and was using v2.4 of the C18 compiler, everything compiled, and the encoders worked great on the robot. Here was the problem... there seemed to be about a 1/2 second delay between the robot receiving data from the OI, so I would move a joystick, then it would take 1/2 a second for the motors to start moving. I would release the joystick, and it would take 1/2 a second to stop (I almost had a bad incident with our new 80lb robot running me over).

Okay, now for the 3.0 compatible code.
I have MPLAB 8.00 installed and version 3.10 of the C18 compiler.
I can compile the code as it is downloaded no problem, but when I try to initialize encoder 1 and encoder 2 using the code where i take out the //, it fails at the link step:

MPLINK 4.1, Linker
Copyright (c) 2006 Microchip Technology Inc.
Error - could not find definition of symbol 'Initialize_Encoder_2' in file 'C:\Robot Code\2008\ifi_frc_sensor_30\teleop.o'.
Errors : 1

If I comment out "Initialize_Encoder_2" it will say the same thing about encoder 1.

Is my MPLINK out of date, since it says 2006?

Here are some snapshots of MPLAB with my horrible hand-eye coordination with my trackpad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	build failed.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	6102

Click image for larger version

Name:	error 5.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	6107

The other 4 errors are with this part of code:
Code:
	// Remove the // below to initialize encoder #1
	 Initialize_Encoder_1();

// Remove the // below to initialize encoder #2
	 Initialize_Encoder_2();

//Skipped a bunch of code here to save you time reading this.  The code exists in my version.

if(i == 37 && j >= 191)
	{
		Encoder_Count = Get_Encoder_1_Count();
		printf("E1=%d\r\n",(int)Encoder_Count);

Encoder_Count = Get_Encoder_2_Count();
		printf("E2=%d\r\n",(int)Encoder_Count);

/*	Encoder_Count = Get_Encoder_3_Count();
		printf("E3=%d\r\n",(int)Encoder_Count);

Encoder_Count = Get_Encoder_4_Count();
		printf("E4=%d\r\n",(int)Encoder_Count);

Encoder_Count = Get_Encoder_5_Count();
		printf("E5=%d\r\n",(int)Encoder_Count);

Encoder_Count = Get_Encoder_6_Count();
		printf("E6=%d\r\n\r\n",(int)Encoder_Count); */
	}
Hopefully this gives you enough information to solve my problem.
  #280   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
First off, I'll talk about the problems we were having with frc_encoder. When I had MPLAB 7.20 installed and was using v2.4 of the C18 compiler, everything compiled, and the encoders worked great on the robot. Here was the problem... there seemed to be about a 1/2 second delay between the robot receiving data from the OI, so I would move a joystick, then it would take 1/2 a second for the motors to start moving. I would release the joystick, and it would take 1/2 a second to stop (I almost had a bad incident with our new 80lb robot running me over).
I'm not sure what you want me to do about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
Hopefully this gives you enough information to solve my problem.
Yep, it appears you didn't follow the detailed instructions in readme.txt .

-Kevin
  #281   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
RyanN
AKA: Ryan Nazaretian
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)

RyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanN

Oops, I never saw the pesky README. I already see what I did wrong, and I will edit this post a bit later to tell you if I got it working.

Also, the link to the beta4 software doesn't want to work.

Thanks for the quick response though... I was hectically trying to get this code working because our programming mentor is about to go to Indonesia on business.

EDIT: I got it working! Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by RyanN : 01-23-2008 at 01:44 PM.
  #282   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM
AKA: Aaron Clay
FRC #1741 (Red Alert Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
Mib is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mib Send a message via MSN to Mib Send a message via Yahoo to Mib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Watson View Post
If I get the sense teams will use the new code, I'll create versions with support for some sensors.

-Kevin
We'll be using ultrasonic sensors as well as a gear count. Though, I don't think that teams that are already modifying your code should have too much of a problem reading data from the digital inputs.

Thanks a lot for the code, saves a great deal of time.
amclay (@) purdue.edu
  #283   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Get a life? This IS my life!
AKA: Phil Malone
FRC #1629 (GaCo: The Garrett Coalition)

Rookie Year: 2006
PhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond reputePhilBot has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've found a bug in the Gyro code....

I know... it seems unlikely considering how long it's been in service, but this problem has been bugging me for a while and I finally got the clues I needed to locate it. Here is the function.

Quote:
int Get_Gyro_Rate(void)
{
// Return the calculated gyro rate to the caller.
return((int)((((long)gyro_rate * GYRO_SENSITIVITY * 5L) / ADC_RANGE)) * GYRO_CAL_FACTOR);
}
I was calling this function and displaying the return value, but it never got above 32 or below -32, and it seemed to flip signs at the oddest times.

I think the problem is that GYRO_CAL_FACTOR is defined as 1000/1000, but the multiplication is being done AFTER the prior expression is cast to an integer... Therefore if ((((long)gyro_rate * GYRO_SENSITIVITY * 5L) / ADC_RANGE)) calculates to anything above 32 or below -32, then multiplying it by 1000 will cause the number to exceed the valid range of an integer.

I think the second to last bracket is misplaced... I think it should be:

return((int)((((long)gyro_rate * GYRO_SENSITIVITY * 5L) / ADC_RANGE) * GYRO_CAL_FACTOR));

I'm going to try it tomorrow...

I'm just greatful I didn't have to write this code....
Thankyou Kevin... really.

Phil.

FRC1629 Mentor (2011 CMP Eng. Inspiration, 2010 Chesapeake Chairmans Award, 2009 Pittsburgh EI Award, 2008 Buckeye EI Award, 2006 Chesapeake Alliance Winner)
FTC2818 Coach (2011 CMP Divisional Finalist, 2011 MD Winning Alliance, 2010 MD & OH Winning Alliance Captain, 2009 MD Inspire Award and Championship Finalist).
FTC4240 Mentor (2011 CMP Divisional Finalist Captain, 2011 MD Winning Alliance Captain).
FLL Team NeXTGEN Mentor (2011 CMP 3rd place Strategy & Innovation, US Open 09, Champions Award: '11 MD, 09 PIT, 08 & 07 MD)

#284   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:04 AM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBot View Post
I think I've found a bug in the Gyro code....
Okay, I'll have a look at it. I'm working on what I hope is the final release, so now is a good time to fix any bugs. Assuming it's a real bug, thanks for finding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBot View Post
I know... it seems unlikely considering how long it's been in service.
It's not too suprising. I think most, if not all, people are using the the Get_Gyro_Angle() function, which wouldn't be effected by a bug in the Get_Gyro_Rate function.

-Kevin
  #285   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)

Rookie Year: 2000
Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel

Kevin,

Would it be too much to ask for an updated library for the EDU-RC?
Team # 383
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: