Go to Post Enlighten a man who sometimes has difficulty understanding why others stray outside the box, when the box appears to be an optimized and elegant solution. - JVN [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Mage
AKA: Lance Wu
FRC #0135 (Black Knights)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 1998
chaineezee is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to chaineezee
Is this considered a hurdle?

Do we have to have the trackball higher than the lane divider in the air before completing a hurdle?

Can it be launched (i.e. w/ 3 ft. catapault) over the overpass to complete a hurdle?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
FRC #0395 (2TrainRobotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2006
Noah Kleinberg is a splendid one to beholdNoah Kleinberg is a splendid one to beholdNoah Kleinberg is a splendid one to beholdNoah Kleinberg is a splendid one to beholdNoah Kleinberg is a splendid one to beholdNoah Kleinberg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Noah Kleinberg
Re: Is this considered a hurdle?

From the definition of hurdling in the manual, "[To be considered hurtling the robot must] be moving toward the OVERPASS and/or elevating the TRACKBALL so that the top of the TRACKBALL is higher than the LANE DIVIDER."

So it sounds like if you go by that strictly you don't have to lift it in the air as long as you're driving towards the overpass when you launch the ball.

This seems like a sort of a wierd rule though, maybe it will be clarified in the Q&A.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
FRC #0067
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Mike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone reading this here is what the question is referring to

Section 7.2 says:

HURDLING: The act of completing a HURDLE. To be considered in the process of HURDLING,
the ROBOT must:
• be in its own HOME STRETCH, and
• be in POSSESSION of a TRACKBALL, and
• be moving toward the OVERPASS and/or elevating the TRACKBALL so that the top of the TRACKBALL is higher than the LANE DIVIDER.

What that last section means however is unclear and I would think that you can not be in possession of the ball if you have catapulted it, however in the demonstration the "robots" (humans) were just throwing them over without extending the balls necessarily over the 6 1/2 ' barrier of the top of the divider

Anyone else got input?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:32 PM
AKA: Eric VA
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
ubermeister is a jewel in the roughubermeister is a jewel in the roughubermeister is a jewel in the roughubermeister is a jewel in the rough

The definitions say

HURDLE: When a TRACKBALL CROSSES a FINISH LINE while passing above the OVERPASS and then contacts either the floor or another ROBOT before re-contacting the originating robot.

HURDLING: The act of completing a HURDLE. To be considered in the process of HURDLING,
the ROBOT must:
• be in its own HOME STRETCH, and
• be in POSSESSION of a TRACKBALL, and
• be moving toward the OVERPASS and/or elevating the TRACKBALL so that the top of the TRACKBALL is higher than the LANE DIVIDER.

This makes it sound like you only need to complete a HURDLE to score points, and that the HURDLING definition only applies to the referrees making calls about IMPEDING:

Note that a ROBOT is not IMPEDING traffic if:
the ROBOT is in the process of HURDLING (except as noted in Rule <G43>).

So, yes, throwing it over is a legal and scoring move, but if you stop to do so, it is considered IMPEDING.

EDIT: Wait, never mind- I am confused too now, since I missed the line "The act of completing a HURDLE."

Last edited by ubermeister : 01-05-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more info
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:44 PM
AKA: Lizzy
no team (Bomb Squad)

Rookie Year: 2007
daftpunk79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to daftpunk79 Send a message via Yahoo to daftpunk79

pretty much all 3 are exactly right...easier simpiler terms, if you are moving when you are about to hurdle the ball can be all the way to the ground, but if you are in one place with the ball, the top of the ball must be higher than the lane divider. weve gone through this so many times its engraved.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

I think we should probably assume that the HURDLE definition is the one that defines what a HURDLE is for scoring purposes. HURDLING is a separate definition and shouldn't be considered for the scoring.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:51 PM
AKA: Joey
FRC #1714 (MORE Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
Laaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond repute

The way i interpruit it is that tha act of hurdling only matters for imoeding, and other robots hitting you. when you read the Hurdle definition, it doesnt say you need to be in the process of hurdling, so I see them as two seperate rules.
Joey
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:07 AM
FRC #2554 (WarHawks)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
neoshaakti is a splendid one to beholdneoshaakti is a splendid one to beholdneoshaakti is a splendid one to beholdneoshaakti is a splendid one to beholdneoshaakti is a splendid one to beholdneoshaakti is a splendid one to beholdneoshaakti is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to neoshaakti
Lightbulb Re: Is this considered a hurdle?

I dont think that launching the ball is considered hurdling because the definition says that
a. Hurdling is the "The act of completing a HURDLE."
in order to complete a hurdle, a robot has to
"be in POSSESSION of a TRACKBALL"
Possession is - "Controlling the position and movement of a TRACKBALL while the TRACKBALL is supported or captured"
we obviously know that ball isnt "captured" when its in mid air

but is it supported?
no I dont think it is

"A TRACKBALL shall be considered “supported” by a ROBOT if in the estimation of a reasonably
astute observer the majority of the weight of the TRACKBALL is being borne by the ROBOT."

I dont think that the weight of the trackball is supported by a robot if its traveling through the air

I might be wrong though, Id appreciate it you informed me of any flaws in my logic
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:51 AM
FRC #0141
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2004
ALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to all

A HURDLE occurs when a TRACKBALL passes over your alliances overpass. It does not say that the trackball must first be elevated so that the top of the trackball is above the lane divider. Launching from the floor should count.

HURDLING: Must be in home stretch. Must be in possession of trackball. Must be moving towards overpass "and/or" elevating trackball so that the top of the trackball is above the lane divider.

To be considered in the process of hurdling and protected by G42, you must: be in your home stretch and posses a trackball no matter what. The "and/or" can be one of two things or both:

1: moving towards the overpass (trackball does not have to be elevated)
2: the trackball is elevated so that the top of the trackball is above the lane divider (you do not necessarily need to be moving towards the overpass)

It seems like you could be given protection of rule G42 when you are setting up placing a trackball on the overpass, who knows if you are passing or placing, as long as the top of the trackball is above the lane divider.

Last edited by ALIBI : 01-06-2008 at 06:55 AM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshaakti View Post
I dont think that launching the ball is considered hurdling because the definition says that
a. Hurdling is the "The act of completing a HURDLE."
in order to complete a hurdle, a robot has to
"be in POSSESSION of a TRACKBALL"
Possession is - "Controlling the position and movement of a TRACKBALL while the TRACKBALL is supported or captured"
we obviously know that ball isnt "captured" when its in mid air

but is it supported?
no I dont think it is

"A TRACKBALL shall be considered “supported” by a ROBOT if in the estimation of a reasonably
astute observer the majority of the weight of the TRACKBALL is being borne by the ROBOT."

I dont think that the weight of the trackball is supported by a robot if its traveling through the air

I might be wrong though, Id appreciate it you informed me of any flaws in my logic
The is a lot of confusion on this point, myself included. By the scoring definition, the trackball cannot be touching the robot to count. If you go by this, then at SOME point during the hurdling process (which, by the HURDLE definition, isn't completed until it touches the ground or another robot) then your robot MUST loose possession of the ball, if only momentarily, during the maneuver.

I'm going to jump in with the school of thought that a ball being hurdled is independent of whether or not a robot is hurdling it. From what I can tell, The ball scores regardless of what the robot does, since it just has to meet the conditions of the hurdling definition:

"When a TRACKBALL CROSSES a FINISH LINE, while passing over the OVERPASS and then contacts either the floor or another ROBOT before re-contacting the originating ROBOT."

as long as it meets that for its own color finish line (per rule G11) then it scores 8 points, regardless of what the robot is doing in the time that the ball is going over.

During that time, it's hard to say whether or not the robot is hurdling, since the it's "[t]he act of completing a HURDLE", but also must be in possession of the ball. Since you have to let go of the ball at some point, it's unclear as to if the robot is still hurdling then (because the hurdle conditions has not been met until the ball hits the floor or another robot), or if the robot is NOT still hurdling, because they are no longer in the possession of the ball.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch

Last edited by Nuttyman54 : 01-06-2008 at 08:33 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
None #0047 (Chief Delphi)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1994
meaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond repute

This issue was resolved in Update #1 - I'm closing this one in order to clean up the number of posts no longer needed.

Mike Aubry
Chief Delphi Engineering Lead
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: