Go to Post Someone once said, "I know what finished is, and I know what a robot is, but what is this finished robot you speak of?" - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2008, 12:44 PM
FRC #2349

Rookie Year: 2007
cjtenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cjtenny
2349's drive

We'll have the back 8"s (traction, roughtop) driven by 2 CIMs each through an AM toughbox, the front not driven. Chances are, our hurdling device will be mounted on the "back", making it the front. Battery will go on omni side, then, to reduce chance of tipping.

We've built the kitbot chassis part, and are ordering the wheels / extra CIMs / etc.

This took probably 3x as long to model as it will have to build. It was my first time using CAD.

Thanks, SolidWorks!

Edit / Note: These all may be upside down, as we may flip this over for a lower COG / wheelbase... depends on how easy it is to mount the Toughboxes that way, though.

Image one, rendered with PhotoWorks: What we've built so far

Image two, screencapped from SolidWorks because it's "View-->Screen Capture" has bugs in Vista Ultimate (too bad it didn't run nicely in linux):
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
FRC #1525

Rookie Year: 2006
Lawry Goldstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2349's drive

First of all, WOW! That is a great job of first time modeling. You already have a great start, so keep practicing.
----------------------------------
As for the more helpful part of my post, I just wanted to give you a quick heads-up to make sure you understand the electrical limitations.

Here is the basic problem:
Each CIM has to be run off a Victor; each Victor is generally run off the 40 amp breaker. The main robot breaker is only rated for 120 amps continuous current.

*Quick Math*

That means if you’re driving at full power your running at 160 amps which is more than your robot can run consistently, so while it will work be careful because if you have a compressor running (20 amps) and possibly some motors for a feature (20-30 amps each) you could very quickly overrun both your breakers and your battery.

Understand that this doesn't mean you can't do it, for example if you have seen 'crab' drives, they run 4 CIMs as well as 1-2 motors for rotating those CIMs plus features. I mention this so that you understand you can run these motors over the 120 amp breaker since it is a CONTINOUS breaker, but you cannot run everything for 2 minutes. Try and finish building your drivetrain with time to drive the robot around and see what happens over 2 minutes, put in a new battery and drive it for another 2 minutes. This is unfortunately what happens sometimes during competitions, so you may need to have a few bottles of 'compressed air' so that you can cool the breakers during heavy back-to-back matches.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
FRC #2349

Thanks!

We've done some stuff with the victors before -- I, with Shane (team 97 mentor; don't know his CD forum name), coded / did the electronics for http://web.mit.edu/first/segway/ (Although I didn't do the modeling, this was my first CAD that wasn't lego and my second, including lego) -- so I'm fairly sure the CIMS will be able to push it all. Hopefully, anyway.

We had some almost-falls off the segway when we'd been running it and tripped the breakers. AKA, offroad tests at my hs. (We brought it out to demo, from MIT)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Mechanical/Driver
FRC #0321 (RoboLancers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin M. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin M.

2 CIMs each through the AM gearbox will definitely be able to push it all, you don't need to worry about that.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
AKA: Tim Hebert
FRC #0042 (Precision Alvirne Robotics Team Systems)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2002
HedlessChkn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to HedlessChkn

just out of curiosity, why do you want your bot sideways? wouldnt that make it more difficult to get around other bots? well, i suppose it makes it harder for other bots to get around you as well...

very good job with the modeling!

P.A.R.T.S.
Precision Alvirne Robotics Team Systems
(that and something we usually leave all over the field)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:29 AM
FRC #2349

Thanks, modeling update coming soon.

It's all because of our hurdling design... I guess I'll just have to say, "you'll see"!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtenny View Post
Thanks, modeling update coming soon.

It's all because of our hurdling design... I guess I'll just have to say, "you'll see"!
Looks good, but i am scared of you guys tipping easily, have you thought about that?

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
None #2349

onewaystreet is an unknown quantity at this point

We were worried about tipping as well, as we initially thought of a lifting device closer to the front of the robot.

Then we fully inflated the ball and realized that wouldn't work very well.

Cam: did we decide on the traction wheels being in the front or in the back? I remember you saying in front not too long ago, because that way we can drive in the event that we tilt up just a little bit.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
FRC #2349

The traction wheels are the front -- the battery & electronics will go on the back to balance out the weight of lifting the ball. That way, we can always maintain driving wheel contact, yeah.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: